Car Heater causing window fogging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Yeah, I had a similar problem...bad heater core. Except that after a couple of days mine blew right into the passenger footwell. (Pontiac 3000 station wagon...stupid car) Hot boiling coolant. Wish somebody had told me what it was before that happened.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

Yeah, I had a similar problem...bad heater core. Except that after a couple of days mine blew right into the passenger footwell. (Pontiac 3000 station wagon...stupid car) Hot boiling coolant. Wish somebody had told me what it was before that happened.

Yep, looks like thats what it is. i just rubbed my hand all over the passenger side floor mat and entire area, and on the back of my hand is a spot of antifreeze. I told her to get it fixed pronto and to mention to them that it cost soemone here only around $100.

I dont trust her mechanic and expect him to try and rip her off.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

I hope the bill will come to as little as $100, it could be more

In some later Loncolns the book time is 11 hours to replace the heater core. You start by removing the seats, center console, and then work up into the dash. Some cars require the draining the freon from the AC system. I have had to remove the complete dash in about 1/4 of the cars I worked on.

Good luck
  • Reply 24 of 26
    take it into a dealer
  • Reply 25 of 26
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    oh boy, if its that big a job and its expensive, its going to be time for her to buy a new car. She was going to buy a new car sometime next year anyway.

Now, what to get? She likes Chevys, Im thinking an Impala or Malibu I have the GM card and about $1700 to use towards a new car which i will give to her.

I also considered Suzuki Verona or Forenza but they have those stupid shiftgate auto transimissions and she has carpal tunnel in her hands and that would be a pain for her to shift.
  • Reply 26 of 26

I know the answer!  I know the answer!

I just went through this.   There is what is called a blender door that takes air from outside the car when the defroster is on.  It is controlled by the "HVAC Heater Blend Door Actuator"    When the door is stuck closed, like mine was, you don't clear or reduce the humidity from inside the cab.  Mine was not making noise but I could see the door was not moving.  If you remove the glove box door you can see it move when you switch between outside and inside air.  Open the glove box and push down the plastic on the top in the back of the glove box and you can swing it down to see the door.

Here is a you-tube video on how to change out the part.