Did you purchase the right Mac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have to say thank you to all who have posted here for making this one of the most pleasurable threads I have read in a long time. I did not intend this when I started the topic. But this seems to have turned into an "I love my Mac" thread. It has been delightful and reaffirming to read testimony after testimony of how the Mac that was purchased lived up to your needs. There is no bashing or fan boy drooling here. Just a written testament of the Mac's versatile and lasting utility. Keep it coming. I am especially appreciative to those who added thoughts on what their next Mac will likely be.

To add a little to my original statement, I plan on using the low end G5 iMac as a DAW. I once was a semi pro in the field of music production. Now, it is just a hobby. I sold off most of my pro gear But I kept my microphones and a midi keyboard. I am considering something like the M-Box. I will do this in addition to expanding my digital photography hobby. I like taking pictures. As far as performance, I can't imagine a noticeable difference between the 1.6 and 1.8. When one becomes obsolete, so will the other. Screen real estate is an issue for digital recording. On screen mixers and effects modules take up a lot of space. With the money I save with the entry level iMac, I can easily pump it full of ram and buy an extra monitor for spanning. (The hack should work just fine on the new iMacs.)

Again, thanks for making it such an enjoyable read. I needed this pick-me-up more than I knew. It has renewed my confidence in this amazing platform, warts and all.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    2.5 Ghz PowerMac w/ 23" Display

17" Powerbook, rev. B

12" Powerbook, rev. C

I probably didn't need to spend all of that money on the D2.5, but I haven't bought a desktop computer in a long time, and I just splurged. It's waaay more computer than I need, but hopefully that means it will last me longer.

No regrets.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    1. What Mac do you own?

PowerMac G4 1.25Ghz MDD Tower * 1GB RAM * 80, 60 and 40 GB HD * Combo Drive and Pionerr DVR-108 (Dual Layer) SuperDrive

2. What do you do with it?

Music Composition & Production (Reason 2.5, Cubase SX 2), Audio Mastering (Peak 4), Audio CD Burning (Jam 6), DVD Video/Data Burning (Toast 6), E-Mail, Internet, etc.

3. In retrospect, what Mac should you have bought?

Initially, I was quite happy with my purchase (March 2004). While it still handles what I need it to do, I am not too thrilled with it?s performance while running Cubase SX. The system slows down to a crawl once the number of audio tracks exceeds 10 or so. It?s very frustrating. I plan to add an additional 1GB of RAM, but somehow I don?t think that will fix the problem. My next machine will definitely be a DP PowerMac G5.