Originally posted by bergz

'nuff said.

--B

I was going to point that out
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

how do you do that?

1. Type "about:config" without inverted commas in the address bar. This will open up some of the advanced preference settings.

2. Type "pipe" without inverted commas to filter out the pipelining options. You should see three.

3. Set network.http.pipelining and network.http.proxy.pipelining both to true. The former enables pipelining for direct connections, the latter enables pipelining for proxy connections. Try increasing network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to 8 to increase the number of simultaneous requests (I think 8 is the maximum).

4. If you're on a personal machine, you might want to set browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl to true to allow caching of secure (HTTPS) pages, which is disabled by default for security reasons.

5. "about:cache" will allow you to browse your cache.

Other performance tuning options that you might want to have a look at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Firefox's Adblock extension is invaluable and reason enough to ditch Safari.

It's great browsing the web with 99% of ads blocked, especially the annoying flash ads that can distract so much from reading a simple news story. If you don't like the default Firefox theme then try Noia Xtreme. Safari is a decent browser, but I like to call it the one-button mouse of browsers. No customization, feature-lacking, and dumbed down (ie not even showing you your download speed). The only reason I haven't tossed Safari in the trash is Apple stupidly put the operating system's default-browser setting in the Safari prefs.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Pitchhelmet does the same for Safari.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I never really bothered with Safari. Initially I preferred Camino (then Chimera). After I got tired of Camino's instability - I gave Safari another try - still too slow, and too buggy.

I began using FireFox on my PC at work while when it was still v0.8 and decided to give the Mac version a try. I haven't looked back since. It's faster than Safari and a hell of a lot more reliable. v1.0 is not quite on par with the PC version, there are a few minor things I hope Mozilla fixes for the MacOS-X v1.1 release such as integrating E-Mail into the "Tools" menu and better management of stored log-in/password information. The Mac version's password management has always been quirky - not being able to differentiate between subdirectories on a domain (ie - 2 different sets of log-in/passwords for 2 different areas of the same domain like a message board and webmail interface). The PC version has no problem with this and displays the proper log-in info, but the Mac version always defaults to the last log-in used for that domain - for example if I login to the webmail interface, the log-in name is the full e-mail address. If were to go back to the message board on the same website, the stored log-in name will now be the e-mail address used to check my email. The PC version of FireFox will display the proper log-in name for the message board and the proper log-in for the e-mail when I visit those respective pages.

Another odd thing is I am an admin of a phpBB forum at my site - If I go into a member's account to look at this info - the Mac version of FireFox automatically replaces the member's log-in name and password with mine. The PC version leaves the correct member information in the fields.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asimis

Pitchhelmet does the same for Safari.

Yeah, but PithHelmet is an "all or nothing" blocker. Customizability is a pain (if you can). There are certain sites that I actually want the ads to show up on (yeah, I know, it sounds stupid), and others where the banners or whatever get clipped because of PithHelmet (although its a banner, not an ad).

Adblock lets you turn off stuff easily, you can see what's on the page and what links to what, so you can easily determine what needs to be blocked and how (of course, once you tell adblock to block "*.swf" there go 600,000 of the most annoying ads...)

Then again, I use Safari on my Mac most of the time. The only thing I miss out of Mozilla/Firefox is the ability to have multiple passwords for a web-site, and be able to pick which one to use. Keychain can't seem to handle this.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

For a lot of configuration options: open a new tab and type "about:config" - without the quotes, of course.

Well, hopefully this is something they'll 'fix' in v1.1, and actually put in preferences for many of these things, rather than assuming users know what they're supposed to be looking for (although some of their current preferences seem to lack that certain clarity that makes them understandable in terms of what they're going to do if you change them).
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, hopefully this is something they'll 'fix' in v1.1, and actually put in preferences for many of these things, rather than assuming users know what they're supposed to be looking for (although some of their current preferences seem to lack that certain clarity that makes them understandable in terms of what they're going to do if you change them).

Many of these settings are advanced or experimental features that most users don't need to know about. Not many people enjoy being confronted with a preference panel with 101 options, so these are hidden away with a set of 'useful defaults' that only advanced users would tinker with.

Compare this with Safari with hardly any preference options at all!

I don't deny that there are some annoying bugs in Firefox, especially with the Mac version. But the cost/benefit ratio makes it worthwhile for me to use Firefox. Make it a point to visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org to submit bugs or read how other people find work arounds. That's the spirit of open source!
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Start by considering the point #1 when compating these two browser and you'll see that even at economic philosophy they differ as much as they do in real work.

Firefox is free; free as in free beer. Safari isn't. Some might say that it's downloadable for free, but only if you have a copy of OS X and an Apple computer to run the OS X on. So it isn't free; you already paid its price when you bought the OS and Computer. Firefox, on the other hand, is completely free, no matter what platform, computer, os OS you use. On top of that, Safari is a browser that is (mostly) the work of others; the KDE team and their Konqueror browser. Its just polished to be more aqua-like and its optimized for X.

Firefox is a built-from-scratch, stable, fast browser - Safari is a modification of an already-built browser, that does not entail any significant preference among KDE users (such as myself). Safari is a Konqueror wrapped in Aqua; Firefox is a newly built browser that is free, cross-platform and much, much more stable.

Just a few issues that I think set these two browsers apart.

p.s. I like Safari. So this is not a flame, nor an offence to those that use Safari or to those that think its better than Firefox.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Safari is a Konqueror wrapped in Aqua; Firefox is a newly built browser that is free, cross-platform and much, much more stable.

It's absolutely not stable. Version 1 crashed on me several times already since I downloaded it a few days ago. Safari hardly crashes at all.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

It's absolutely not stable. Version 1 crashed on me several times already since I downloaded it a few days ago. Safari hardly crashes at all.

Firefox is indeed stable. Something's wrong with your setup.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    rara Posts: 623member
    Edit - ah crap look one post down.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Start by considering the point #1 when compating these two browser and you'll see that even at economic philosophy they differ as much as they do in real work.

Firefox is free; free as in free beer. Safari isn't. Some might say that it's downloadable for free, but only if you have a copy of OS X and an Apple computer to run the OS X on. So it isn't free; you already paid its price when you bought the OS and Computer. Firefox, on the other hand, is completely free, no matter what platform, computer, os OS you use. On top of that, Safari is a browser that is (mostly) the work of others; the KDE team and their Konqueror browser. Its just polished to be more aqua-like and its optimized for X.

Firefox is a built-from-scratch, stable, fast browser - Safari is a modification of an already-built browser, that does not entail any significant preference among KDE users (such as myself). Safari is a Konqueror wrapped in Aqua; Firefox is a newly built browser that is free, cross-platform and much, much more stable.

Just a few issues that I think set these two browsers apart.

p.s. I like Safari. So this is not a flame, nor an offence to those that use Safari or to those that think its better than Firefox.

Safari is wrapper for a rendering engine, KHTML. It is NOT a re-branding of Konqueror. And I'm pretty sure Firefox is just a wrapper for Gecko, another rendering engine.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    The safari rendering engine, as well as being mostly kHTML (and therefore open source) has a fair chunk of Mozilla, both code and ideas, in it too, which makes this comparison less clear and less useful to my mind.

Also, I'm glad this thread didn't turn into the usual "mine is better" style argument, as if people don't have different needs and experiences with respect to browsers.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    is there any way to have it import my bookmarks from safari?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

is there any way to have it import my bookmarks from safari?

Not directly. However, you can download a program called Safari Bookmark Exporter which will do the job for you.

There's also an extention that will allow you to sync your Firefox bookmarks with .Mac, so you can sync them to other computers (though not directly with Safari... still kept as seperate files).

In fact, my only serious complaint with Firefox is that it does not take advantage of the Keychain. Hopefully 1.1 will.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Not directly. However, you can download a program called Safari Bookmark Exporter which will do the job for you.

There's also an extention that will allow you to sync your Firefox bookmarks with .Mac, so you can sync them to other computers (though not directly with Safari... still kept as seperate files).

In fact, my only serious complaint with Firefox is that it does not take advantage of the Keychain. Hopefully 1.1 will.

thanks for the tip
  • Reply 38 of 41
    What is the build date of FF 1.0 ??
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

What is the build date of FF 1.0 ??

20041107 (yes, two days before the release on November 9).
  • Reply 40 of 41
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Adblock lets you turn off stuff easily, you can see what's on the page and what links to what, so you can easily determine what needs to be blocked and how (of course, once you tell adblock to block "*.swf" there go 600,000 of the most annoying ads...)

The

Adblock for Firefox is WAYYYY easier and better than PithHelmet for Safari!

95% of the time I use Safari, but Adblock is VERY tempting!!! I only wish it was ported to Safari!!!

It's the first adblocker that's actually easy to configure ON THE FLY.