Got my new iBook 800 today!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay guys, its in. I ordered from MacMall so I wouldn't have to pay taxes and could have it overnighted. First let me say what other systems I have so I don't get the "yeah, but what do you have to compare it with" story.

I have the 15" FP iMac 800 with superdrive with 512mb of ram and the 600 iBook with the 8mb video and 364mb or ram.

My new iBook 800 has 640mb of ram and 30 giger with airport.

The first thing I noticed after getting all the new updates was the reboot time. Its not blazing fast but around the same time as my iMac. Blows the 600 out the water. The next thing I noticed is browser speed. I haven't downloaded Chimera yet so all I have to compare to is IE. Its as fast (if not faster) than my iMac.....don't know just seems faster believe it or not.

Opening the system preferences is only a second behind my iMac. I will load Office X tonight and compare those guys. Just tooling around seems extremely snappy.

Noticed that I have Quicken 2003 loaded. Didn't ask for that and Demios Rising game. Looks pretty good. Plays very well with the 32mb card. Overall I am very pleased with this impulse buy. My expectations have been met and then some. Anyone thinking about buying one will not be disappointed. Any ?'s I will be happy to answer. Sorry its not a very scientific anaylsis but its all I could come up with at the moment

Okay just d/l Chimera. It copys fast to my App folder. Something is not right though because its faster on here than my iMac. WTF :eek:

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: trailmaster308 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Congrats.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in general tasks (i.e., not including altivec-specific apps), the iBook is faster than the iMac. It's got twice the L2 cache and less pixels to drive. It would be interesting to see some benchmarks on altivec and non-altivec tasks. I've never been a believer in the idea that altivec improves performance in X just in general.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote] My new iBook 800 has 640mb of ram and 30 giger with airport. <hr></blockquote>

congrats on the iBook...that is exactly the system i am thinking of getting my girls for x-mas (or of my eldest's birthday in feb....any reason to wait??)....g

ps...thinking smaller screen, less pixels and maybe better graphics card in the iBook than the iMac equal more speed for certain jobs....sigh, sad to see my iMac 15 lcd is sooooo old now at 8 months.....feel almost like a pc user...ha

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

congrats on the iBook...that is exactly the system i am thinking of getting my girls for x-mas (or of my eldest's birthday in feb....any reason to wait??)....g

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm thinking you might find yourself using it more than the kids
  • Reply 4 of 51
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Also, it's a clean system.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote] I'm thinking you might find yourself using it more than the kids <hr></blockquote>

ha, don't think i haven't already planned on that!....anyway, we have the iMac lcd in the computer room, and the kids are spliting time with an iMac DV 400....it would be nice to keep a computer in the computer room and each of the kid's room as we all use them alot...perhaps i should but an iMac in each of the kids room and keep the iBook in the computer room....if the iBook allows spanning i would do that in a heartbeat....just need a 17" lcd (the apple one is beautiful) or maybe the new 19" lcd that is coming soon......g
  • Reply 6 of 51
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>Didn't ask for that and Demios Rising game. Looks pretty good. Plays very well with the 32mb card.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It comes with 10.2.

• Reply 7 of 51
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    Is the color/case of new ibook identical to that of the old?

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: icruise ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>Is the color/case of new ibook identical to that of the old?

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: icruise ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

When I was in the Apple Store before the only difference I could tell was that it's got the new Apple font.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Congrtulations on your new ibook
  • Reply 10 of 51
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    They have the same number of pixels to drive. The iMac has a 15", 1024x768 screen. The iBook has either a 12" or a 14" screen, both at 1024x768.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>Is the color/case of new ibook identical to that of the old?

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: icruise ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah same color case.
  • Reply 12 of 51

<strong>

Yeah same color case.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only the new 700 has a different color?matte ("Opaque" if you prefer), hence the different battery. I ordered an extra battery (the same that was used in the old 700) for my 800 and it has the same finish, same model number.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    I have noticed that the visual effects on iTunes (full screen) run smooth, no jitters. A lot smoother than my iMac and WAY better than my 600.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The 700 has a new case? Woah, that's surprising.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    Can someone with a new 800MHz iBook run some performance tests? It would be fun to see how it compares to the older iBooks.

I'm buying one of my own as soon as I sell my current 600MHz iBook.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member

<strong>Any ?'s I will be happy to answer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have some.

What MacOS X version is included, 10.2, 10.2.1 or even 10.2.2?

Does it have the "old" clear plastic painted from the inside case or the new opaque one (AFAIK only the new 700MHz iBooks have the opaque case, all the others have the old one but I'd like to know for sure)?

Thanks, cheers.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>The 700 has a new case? Woah, that's surprising.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes.

the one on the left is a PB, the one in the middle the new iBook, and the one on the right is the old iBook.

notice that the new one is completely white.

looks much more nice, IMO

and

and this is the difference between those two. old one right, new one left.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Wow. I like the all-white!

Not going to trade in my old 700, though.....can't get a combo drive on the all-whites.

Jet

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Jet Powers ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Oh boy, the new white is really WAY TOO WHITE, if that picture is anything to go by. The pearlescence of the previous model really reduced teh white-ish-ness now that you see them side by side. Looks pretty awful in that picture.

Someone please post a pic of a new 800 to confirm that only the very cheapest new iBook actually looks that bad.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I like the all white one, but I like the old ones a lot more.