Price Comparison

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Yeah, you're right. And that Dell is just an anomaly apparently.

However, I still think it's a legit question - how does the 1Ghz G4 compare to the 2.xGhz mobile P4 when it's on reduced processor performance (1.2Ghz), which it is by default on battery. I also wonder what battery life is like on those machines if SpeedStep is turned off.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One again, the 2.2GHz Mobile P4 does not just cut down to 1.2GHz and run at that level throughout while unplugged. With SpeedStep, the speed and power are variable and when the system needs CPU power, it gets it. The computer does not act as a 1.2GHz system at all so that comparison wouldn't work. You don't feel or see the difference like you would with older mobile P3s. The Mobile P4 is optimized for mobility and runs at lower power in addition to the Enhanced SpeedStep for better battery life.

<a href="http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/pentium4p-m/p4p-m.htm"; target="_blank">From Intel:</a>

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® technology. Real-time dynamic switching of voltage and frequency between maximum performance and battery-optimized operation, based on CPU demand, for longer battery life.

0.13 Micron Process Technology. Smallest, fastest, transistors enable higher speeds, lower power consumption in small mobile package

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This SpeedStep is still not clear to me. <a href="http://www.intel.com/home/notebook/Pentium4-m/faq.htm#technical1"; target="_blank">According to Intel</a>:

[quote]Q: What is Enhanced SpeedStep technology?

A: Intel Enhanced SpeedStep technology provides desktop class performance with all the benefits of mobility. This is accomplished with two dynamically switching performance modes. Maximum Performance mode provides desktop-class performance when you are connected to AC power, while Battery Optimized mode delivers maximum battery life. For example, when a system is unplugged, the Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor ? M 2.20 GHz core automatically drops to 1.2 GHz from the peak frequency of 2.20 GHz. At the same time, the operating voltage of the processor drops to 1.20 volts from 1.30 volts. In addition, Intel SpeedStep technology software allows for automatic or user controlled performance mode switching.

<hr></blockquote>And all chips, from 1.4 to 2.2Ghz, <a href="http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/250686.htm"; target="_blank">drop to 1.2Ghz</a> when in battery optimized mode (yes, you can override this manually and set it to max performance even on battery).

From what I can tell, the "realtime dynamic switching" just means you don't have to reboot the system. What you seem to be saying is that it automatically switches between 1.2 and 2.2 Ghz depending on what you're doing. That may be true, but I couldn't find any confirmation of that. It seems to have to do with what version of windows you're running and which drivers you have installed. I looked at a few PC forums and found a lot of confusion - no one seems to really know for sure what's happening to their clockspeed and so I lost interest in figuring it out.