Apple to begin manufacturing flash-based iPod next month

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mendosi

Could read "where the iPod as a whole has poor retail presence and is relatively highly priced".

Love the Apple policy of

Foreign price = US price x exchange rate + 20% or so

I mean, I was at a store in China where I could have thrown a rock and hit the factory of iPods (figuratively speaking, I didn't have a rock with me, and I didn't want to damage the windows) but the price is higher than in the US.

But then again, much of this stuff can be put down to two words "life sucks".

Mendosi

Some of it can also be put down to the fact that distributors in foreign countries are separate entities (e.g. another layer of middlemen).
  • Reply 22 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

As long as you can only play AAC on Apple's stuff, WMA still has a colossally large advantage. I fear that in a few years, the iPod will be using WMA as its primary format...

Possibly, but not probably. AAC is part of MPEG-4, which is gaining a huge amount of ground right now in the HD-DVD groups, beating out WMP9's codecs. Whoo!

Remember, it's not AAC vs. everyone, it's AAC vs. WMA. Both types of players can play MP3s, which is still the most common file format by far. WMA doesn't have a colossally large advantage by any means... in fact, the *only* thing it has going for it is that it has MS's monopoly pushing it... and this time, it doesn't seem to be winning.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by allan

My guess is that the timing of the release is intentional. They probably realized they would never be able to meet Christmas demand, and rather than have a bunch of po'd customers -- they opted for a post-Christmas release.

My guess is that the timing of the release is intentional. You never release a cheaper product in your prime buying season when the more expensive product is going to completely sell out. They did this with iPod Mini. This is very deft product management and marketing. If all goes well (and according to recent history)...next Christmas season they'll have all three levels, and likely to sell 6-7 million in the Christmas quarter.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Just for fun ... I did some Photoshop mockups of possible designs for the Flash-based iPod "micro". You can see them here: http://applepete.com/
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by one3

Just for fun ... I did some Photoshop mockups of possible designs for the Flash-based iPod "micro". You can see them here: http://applepete.com/

Love the pics - I'd be first in line for either of the first two, but the third one is a bit cheesy even for the die hard Apple fan!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

As long as you can only play AAC on Apple's stuff, WMA still has a colossally large advantage. I fear that in a few years, the iPod will be using WMA as its primary format...

Actually, anyone could make a player using AAC. It is Apple's DRM protocol which is exclusive to Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

As long as you can only play AAC on Apple's stuff, WMA still has a colossally large advantage.

Please do explain.

Currently 70% of the legally purchased download music is in AAC (protected) format.

Why do so many assume that Apple must fail here...or more importantly...that MS must win? MS has lost in more markets than they have won. People rarely realize this.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I would not be surprised at all to see a different form factor for this new thing. Maybe something you attach to your key chain...or hang on a lanyard around your neck.

Think Different.

What about the shape of a stick/pen/wand? Not sure about the UI...but I am confident Apple could figure something out.

• Reply 29 of 40
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I would love for them to get rid of the UI lock button on the top of the iPod and replace it will some type of pressure sensor on the sides so you can hold it normally without worring about unwanted input but with a slight squeeze on the sides as you hold it, the UI is active.

Or if not that, a quick double squeeze on the sides as you hold it in your hand pauses/mutes the music. And another double squeeze resumes/unmutes it.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

What? Like this?

Yes...only something that wouldn't give you bruises.

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I love the round one. That's awesome, and functional. Would require a proprietary LCD, though, and that would be too expensive for Apple to develop at the price point they're aiming toward.

Or not...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0002UB2Q4

This one claims 16 hours of music (lower encoding rate of course). But at the standard iTMS AAC rate 512MB could store about 8 hours of audio.

I can imagine taking iPod Micro (512MB) to work...enough music for a day's work. I can see the marketing of it now.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Maybe instead, Apple could overlay a touch sensitive navigation wheel over the LCD. Tapping the sides of the wheel would perform the "click" function, as you wouldn't be able to have it actually "click". I

tonton that's brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised to see that, as it must have occurred to them.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Just got the Creative Labs Zen Micro in work today, and although I haven't had a proper look yet, it looks nicer than an iPod Mini - maybe Apple does need to update its range to keep up, since the iPod Mini has been out for a year by MW SF. iPod mini to go to 10gb and a new micro underneath? That would be sweet!

This new Zen Micro is smaller than iPod mini, has removable rechargeable, good screen, menu similar to iPod, calendar, decent battery life, touch pad thing and comes in 10 colours. Oh ye, it's 5gb, and only £10 more than iPod mini. If it had an Apple badge I'd buy one! Grrr, come on January!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I just don't like the button placements on that thing

Had someone ask for one where I work, nearly barfed all over him
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by one3

I like the second one. Kinda like the size and shape of a credit card.

The third one with the Apple logo shape would look like it could stab you with those sharp edges.

Mike
  • Reply 36 of 40
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I'm suprised that nobody has considered the possibility that Apple will eventually replace nearly every single HD-based model with a flash-based model.

Flash memory prices are continuing to drop, making larger capacity flash-based devices more economical, so one has to wonder how long it will be before we are talking about 5-10GB flash-based players. And no, I'm not suggesting that we will see such a high capacity device a couple of months from now.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I'm suprised that nobody has considered the possibility that Apple will eventually replace nearly every single HD-based model with a flash-based model.

Flash memory prices are continuing to drop, making larger capacity flash-based devices more economical, so one has to wonder how long it will be before we are talking about 5-10GB flash-based players. And no, I'm not suggesting that we will see such a high capacity device a couple of months from now.

You know, flash memory prices have been continuing to drop for years. The problem is that hard drive prices have been dropping at least as fast, and the tricks that the drive makers are using to make smaller and denser drives are good for at least a couple of orders of magnitude of improvement. In other words, the issue isn't whether flash memory will be up to the task, the issue is whether hard drives will continue to be a consistently better value.

If you think of iPod as "Your Life - To Go" and think about what sort of capacity would be required to really make that happen (bring your music, photos, documents, movies, app prefs and bookmarks; possibly even your account!) the significantly higher capacity and significantly lower cost/GB will favor hard drives for a very, very long time. Flash will take over the current low end (the mini) when it becomes able to store 1,000 songs economically.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

You know, flash memory prices have been continuing to drop for years. The problem is that hard drive prices have been dropping at least as fast, and the tricks that the drive makers are using to make smaller and denser drives are good for at least a couple of orders of magnitude of improvement. In other words, the issue isn't whether flash memory will be up to the task, the issue is whether hard drives will continue to be a consistently better value.

If you think of iPod as "Your Life - To Go" and think about what sort of capacity would be required to really make that happen (bring your music, photos, documents, movies, app prefs and bookmarks; possibly even your account!) the significantly higher capacity and significantly lower cost/GB will favor hard drives for a very, very long time. Flash will take over the current low end (the mini) when it becomes able to store 1,000 songs economically.

While I agree with your post, I would argue that this may happen sooner than we might think. For example, Lexar 512MB Jump Drives are currently selling for around $70CND, the iPod Mini goes for around $350CND. The gap was significantly larger even a year ago.

I think it's going to be very, very interesting to see the storage capacity of Apple's forthcoming flash-based iPod.