iBook repair program may yield surprise upgrades

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Some Apple iBook G3 owners seeking repairs under the company's extended logic board replacement program may receive a slightly faster machine after repairs are complete.

Apple Computer may begin substituting 700MHz logic boards for some 600MHz iBook models that are in need of repair, due to "unforeseen inventory constraints" of the 600MHz iBook logic board and G3 processor, AppleInsider has learned.

The substitution would provide a 100MHz speed increase to some 600MHz iBook customers who were the unfortunate recipients of slightly defective iBooks from the company's iBook G3 product line.

Apple began informing service providers of the substitutions earlier this week, noting that they are "temporary only and subject to change without notice." The substations apply to service centers in US, Canada, and Latin America.

The company asked that its service providers "not set any customer expectations as to the type of logic board that may replace a defective module," as "not all defective iBook logic boards will be replaced with an upgraded logic board."

Only iBook models with a 600MHz '661-3311 logic board' are eligible for the potential 700MHz '661-3312 logic board' replacement.

The substitutions are likely a result of Apple's Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program, which covers repair or replacement of logic boards in iBook models manufactured between May 2001 and October 2003 that are experiencing video-centric component failures.

Apple announced the repair program in February, after word spread that hundreds of defective iBook owners were organizing a class action lawsuit against the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My PowerBook's HD died and I got a bigger HD back
  • Reply 2 of 4
    About a year ago I sent in my 700 MHz iBook for repair, and it was returned to me with a 600 MHz logic board...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Now is the time for all those TiBook owners with those freaking vertical lines all over the screen to unite and file a class-action suit. And yes, I am included in that group.

The thing that gets me annoyed is that it's clear that the vertical line problem is widespread (lots of reports and I've seen people with the same problem in person), with a lot of people getting new screens (cost is over 600 US dollars) when it's almost 100% certain that the problem is caused by a design flaw!

Now I can't sell my TiBook to get a new iMac because it isn't worth a single penny with this defective screen.

Cheers,

_iCeb0x_
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Did the lines appear within the warranty period? If so, did Apple not fix the problem?

I ask because technology breaks. I have two friends with TiBook's, and neither of them have had this problem. While I assume that there have been many cases, I suspect that the vast majority were fine.