MWSF - New Keyboard/Mouse? (speculation)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

yes, i addressed two of the points that he presented.

No, you sort of addressed one point, gave me more useless keyboard recommendations, and then went off on how the 2.5 is an amazingly fast machine, blah, blah, blah. I never called into question how fast the 2.5 is. I know it is, but that does not change the fact that it was a stopgap machine.

Quote:

From Dictionary.com

stop·gap

n.

An improvised substitute for something lacking; a temporary expedient.

3GHz was the speed to be delivered, instead it was 2.5, so I don't see Apple waiting until June of 2005, a full year late on the expected delivery of 3 GHz. At this point, 3 GHz would just be a speed bump, and I hardly see them waiting for an event to "proclaim" its arrival, which is why I would expect them to be quietly rolled out at the end of the keynote, sort of as a side note with a little Jobsian humor, or to be rolled out in the weeks after MWSF, much as the dual 1.4 G4s were.

Oh, and yes I know Apple does not control production of its processors, but with all the G5s IBM is making now, I think good yields on 3 GHz chips are not far off, especially if the info on the 970 GX is even close to true.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Since the release of the new aluminium cinema displays - Apple's pro hardware matches its white mouse and keyboard just fine. You see, the PowerMac G5 may not drape itself in any other color than the aluminium one, and the mouse and keyboards may not wear any other color than white, but the new displays carries both these colors, binding them together to form a wholeness of sorts. The main body of the displays are aluminium, but the sides, where the power- and illumination-buttons reside are actually white plastic - just like the keyboard and mouse. I think this is pretty nice.

Now, the input that is the keyboard and mice, matches the input controls that resides on the new line of displays. And the main body of the displays matches the beautiful casing that is the G5 PowerMac. Splendid!

That's a good point; I forgot about the white around the sides of the displays.

I would like a keyboard with say an AL body and white keys, or maybe a white body, same nice finish as the plastic on the displays with AL keys like the powerbook. And while we're at it, backlit keys. Now that would look nice and work nice in a darkened studio. Also, a little more space on the keyboard itself. Comparing the new one with the old one, the new one just feels a little cramped.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

If that's like the original Apple Extended Keyboard, that was the noisiest keyboard I ever used. I'd much prefer a PowerBook-like keyboard with scissor-key action. Have considered buying the Ice Key from MacAlly.

I have used the Ice Key for about a year. I like the laptop style also. Love it to the point of not really caring what apple does with their keyboard design.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Whatever Apple does to their mice and keyboards in the future, I guaranty it won't be as good as my logitech setup:

Internet navigator keyboard, MX1000 mouse.

In fact, I think I'll write a review of how the MX1000 works on a Mac, since almost all the other reviews I've read have been by people who hate downloading drivers.

"Waa I can't configure the buttons in the keyboard and mouse pane! They should've put a jump drive in the cradle with the drivers on it! Logitech hates mac!"
  • Reply 24 of 34
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The Matias has Key Caps characters printed on the keys. That's a 'Pro' keyboard.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    i voted yes in the poll, simply on the logic that style is king with apple, and matching materials seems a key foundation of style.

the iMac G5 remains white, so it'll prolly retain the current keyboard. but it seems logical apple will want to match the metallic screens with metallic keyboards.

that said, i personally don't give a rats' ass what color my keyboard is, as long as it's comfortable. as a programmer, i sometimes spend 18 hrs/day tapping away. if it weren't for my "expert mouse" trackball, i expect my right hand would have long since stiffened into a rigid claw.

from this perspective, apple's current keyboard bites (imo). i tried one in the apple store and it just doesn't feel comfy. plus the lack of tilt adjust just seems ludicrous in this age of ergonomic awareness.

i loved the old extended keyboard 2, and was still using one with my wallstreet powerbook last year. best keyboard i've ever used.

honestly, i find it somewhat annoying that apple has invested so much more energy/money into style than comfort in the keyboard dept. i'm all for beautiful lines, but not at the expense of RSIs. something like having a plastic folding chair as the driver's seat of a ferrari.

just doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    ps: thanks for the link to the matias. sounds like a perfect solution for me when i get my new powerbook.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dovetail

I have used the Ice Key for about a year. I like the laptop style also. Love it to the point of not really caring what apple does with their keyboard design.

Ordered one Sunday. I hope it's all everyone says it is. I really like laptop keyboards so I think I'll like it.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

The Matias has Key Caps characters printed on the keys. That's a 'Pro' keyboard.

®ë@£ P®º§ Kñøw ?hèm ßÿ Héå®?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple is very happy with the totally craptacular crap they currently ship and I do not see them changing it.

There chance to change it was when they released the Bluetooth stuff.

Just deal with it.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    The keyboard is great, but the mouse has to go. A one button mouse was fine with OS9, but its silly to keep using one with an operating system that's built for two buttons and a scroll wheel. Apple should buy MacMice and start building their mouse to Apple's more stringent quality standards.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Hmmm.. 56 no to 13 yes. Ya think!
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

®ë@£ P®º§ Kñøw ?hèm ßÿ Héå®?

❂ŋłý ŵůşšĭēś șŧĩċĸ ωįțħ ②❺➅-ĉħåŕāčțėř ƑƟńťŝ.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

❂ŋłý ŵůşšĭēś șŧĩċĸ ωįțħ ②❺➅-ĉħåŕāčțėř ƑƟńťŝ.

Nice!
  • Reply 34 of 34
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dovetail

Got mine today. Gotta say, my first reaction is that the keys are too stiff. Perhaps I'll get used to it.