Apple eMac G5 on hold, G4 back in production

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    White and shiny like the iPod, iMac G5 and iBook since it became a chiclet. You may consider those ugly, but most others don't.

I should admit, though, the eMac needs to go on a diet...
  • Reply 42 of 76
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

White and shiny like the iPod, iMac G5 and iBook since it became a chiclet. You may consider those ugly, but most others don't.

I should admit, though, the eMac needs to go on a diet...

white and shiny make the iMac ugly also.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

white and shiny make the iMac ugly also.

take it easy inspector 666, others MAY disagree here with you.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

take it easy inspector 666, others MAY disagree here with you.

And they are entitled to disagree
  • Reply 45 of 76
    The e-mac may not look as nice as other apple offerings, but compared to the pc's on the market I'd say it dosn't look that bad. And of course I'd like to see a revamp, who wouldn't when you consider apple's track record of making nice designs even better.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Its White and shiny. That makes it ugly

Metal imitating plastic silvery PC's look MUCH worse - but that's just my opinion?.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Metal imitating plastic silvery PC's look MUCH worse - but that's just my opinion?.

Take a gander at HPs LCD Monitors. They look kinda nice. Even their black and silver towers look good I think. Much better than stark white, especially on something so big. The iPod is small so its OK, but personally I find the iMac G5 and eMac offensive looks wise. A simple color change would make a big difference, IMHO.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

IMHO.

EXACTLY.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

EXACTLY.

To most people with any common sense, that was inferred all along. Everyone else but you seemed to realize I was just giving my opinion.

Do I need to spell everything out just for you or can I speak to the adults now?
  • Reply 50 of 76
    I *LOVE* the white of the emac, ipod, ibook and imac! it is so different to anything else out there, and brightens the whole room. I love the fact that there is a clear layer *over* the white.

apple is defiantely sticking to white for the consumer models and silver for the performance range - powerbooks, powermacs and displays. I think it's a good distinction, though I wish my new powermac would come in shiny white!

there is a company in the US that will re-colour your mac or ipod in heaps of colours - its pretty cool, but rather expensive if you live outside the states.

I think apple should stick to white and silver.

maybe also featuring a black version of the ibook would sell a few more, especially since the specs are so close to the powerbook these days its hard to justify a powerbook, especially in the 12" and non-superdrive models.

as far as the emac - i think a design revision would be welcome (slot loading cd... maybe more square overall, include the tilt and swivel stand) but i think it looks good and i hope they keep it similar

my family has 2, soon to be 3, emacs, as they are the entry level (and hence most affordable) model, but still can do video editing, burn dvds, and most importantly... run os x!
  • Reply 51 of 76
    How do you find the picture quality to be for the emacs? Have you had any shimmering problems? Some emacs had the picture shake sometimes-I actually saw one at the apple store recently that was doing it.

Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I *LOVE* the white of the emac, ipod, ibook and imac! it is so different to anything else out there, and brightens the whole room. I love the fact that there is a clear layer *over* the white.

apple is defiantely sticking to white for the consumer models and silver for the performance range - powerbooks, powermacs and displays. I think it's a good distinction, though I wish my new powermac would come in shiny white!

there is a company in the US that will re-colour your mac or ipod in heaps of colours - its pretty cool, but rather expensive if you live outside the states.

I think apple should stick to white and silver.

maybe also featuring a black version of the ibook would sell a few more, especially since the specs are so close to the powerbook these days its hard to justify a powerbook, especially in the 12" and non-superdrive models.

as far as the emac - i think a design revision would be welcome (slot loading cd... maybe more square overall, include the tilt and swivel stand) but i think it looks good and i hope they keep it similar

my family has 2, soon to be 3, emacs, as they are the entry level (and hence most affordable) model, but still can do video editing, burn dvds, and most importantly... run os x!

• Reply 52 of 76
    I've found the picture quality to be great - certainly haven't noticed any problems

The only issue is if the volume is up too loud on error alert "beeps" the screen does shake when the beep goes off- havent noticed a problem when playing music, only when sudden noises go off that are extra loud (the system alert volume is somewhat independent of the system volume and can get a bit loud)
  • Reply 53 of 76
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

To most people with any common sense, that was inferred all along. Everyone else but you seemed to realize I was just giving my opinion.

Do I need to spell everything out just for you or can I speak to the adults now?

If you read your posts in this topic and take note of the tone you use on them, you'll realize that not only are you expressing your opinion, but also implying (by the absolute tone you use), that your opinion is 100% correct and that is it.

so, mr. 666, grow up a little and then speak to the adults.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I've found the picture quality to be great - certainly haven't noticed any problems

The only issue is if the volume is up too loud on error alert "beeps" the screen does shake when the beep goes off- havent noticed a problem when playing music, only when sudden noises go off that are extra loud (the system alert volume is somewhat independent of the system volume and can get a bit loud)

Thanks. I guess I could always get a black LCD monitor to mirror the image anyway.

I have a G3iMac and it works quite well with Panther. I was actually considering getting another one on ebay with a CD burner in it, although the eMac makes more sense.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:

If you read your posts in this topic and take note of the tone you use on them, you'll realize that not only are you expressing your opinion, but also implying (by the absolute tone you use), that your opinion is 100% correct and that is it.

so, mr. 666, grow up a little and then speak to the adults.

Actually, you're the only one who reacted that way, Geneclean, so dont get your panties in a bunch so quickly. Try some reading comprehension in case you got left back in elementary school.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

How do you find the picture quality to be for the emacs? Have you had any shimmering problems? Some emacs had the picture shake sometimes-I actually saw one at the apple store recently that was doing it.

Although it would appear that some emacs have good monitors, they are pretty mediocre. They suffer from fairly bad moire, and relatively poor geometry. If you play the right music you'll get the shimmer ( its not just a volume thing, Ive got music that does and doesnt not affect my monitor ).

But, you've just got to go and buy a Dell LCD for $350 and you have a very nice machine.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Although it would appear that some emacs have good monitors, they are pretty mediocre. They suffer from fairly bad moire, and relatively poor geometry. If you play the right music you'll get the shimmer ( its not just a volume thing, Ive got music that does and doesnt not affect my monitor ).

But, you've just got to go and buy a Dell LCD for $350 and you have a very nice machine.

Its funny how my iMac G3 400 doewsnt have that problem.

Im still tempted to but a later model G3 iMac with a CDRW. Since I will most likely just do what you said and attach a LCD to it, why put up with the size of the eMac? From what Ive seen in the store the eMac isnt much faster than even my iMac at 400mhz. I could get a 500-600mhz iMac for about $300-400.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:

Actually, you're the only one who reacted that way, Geneclean, so dont get your panties in a bunch so quickly. Try some reading comprehension in case you got left back in elementary school.

OK, mr. 666, I see you like to 'win'. But my point was not to compete about who said what, but to tell you to take it easy, and not call things ugly in absolute terms just because YOU don't like them.

Now, in this cold day, have a warm celebration of your 'victory'.

sayonara, muchacho.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

It's too bad to hear about the poor geometry, but they do seem fine to me. Early eMacs had it rough, though, back when they suffered from raster shift. The speakers are another good point of criticism, but considering how mediocre they became, external units are a good way to go. Or you can stick some erasers underneath your eMac and hope that stops the vibration.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

It's too bad to hear about the poor geometry, but they do seem fine to me. Early eMacs had it rough, though, back when they suffered from raster shift. The speakers are another good point of criticism, but considering how mediocre they became, external units are a good way to go. Or you can stick some erasers underneath your eMac and hope that stops the vibration.

As far as I can see ( Ive looked at a lot of eMacs in a lot of different places - perhaps someone running a lab of hundreds can chime in ) the perception of the eMacs monitor quality is entirely subjective. If I went down to compusa and bought a $100 monitor I would expect something on a par with the eMac. Mediocre geometry, moire, convergance issues. This is just life for cheap monitors. The eMac doesnt even have the controls required to adequetly adjust it.

As for the shimmer, my suspicion is that it is electromagnetic, not vibration. The speakers are shielded. What that means is that another magnet is mounted on the speaker which cancels out the field generated by the speakers magnet. There are plenty of ways for this to go wrong - the shielding magnet could be mounter out of alignment, it might not be strong enough, it might have an irregular field.

But, the monitor isnt unusable. Its just OK. When combined with some hackery the eMac becomes a nice dual head machine.