Apple airs iTunes Canada ads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ads now appearing on Canadian television networks are advertising a localized version of Apple's iTunes Music Store, although the service has yet to open for business.

According to several Canadian residents, ads for a Canadian version of Apple's iTunes music download service have been in heavy rotation on network television for approximately two weeks.

"They look, sound, and feel exactly like current US ads," said one viewer. But instead of ending with an the iTunes.com web address, the spots direct viewers to apple.ca. Â*

The ads began to appear during the third week of November, around the same time Apple was expected to officially extend the service into Canada.

According to unpublished reports, the company began prepping Canadian music labels for the launch of iTunes Canada in early November. The service was reportedly targeted to kick-off mid-month, but appears to have been delayed, slightly.

Earlier this week, Apple reiterated its statement that the Canadian service would launch before the end of the month. Tipsters also claim that this week's launch of iTunes Canada could yeild an announcement of iTunes in additional countries, such as Ireland and Australia. However, AppleInsider was unable to confirm these reports with any degree of certainty.

Apple originally planned to open for business in Ireland in October, when it extended its service across Europe. However, plans were stymied at the last minute by a disagreement with the Irish Music Rights Organization.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Ads have been running on Canadian networks for a lot longer, but they may have recently increased the frequency. I've seen ads on the Space network and CNN for well over a month.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Hmm. I'll have to admit to watching a lot of TV. In all of those hours watching various channels in the past two weeks I haven't seen any commercials for a Canadian iTMS.

I have seen the U2 'Vertigo' ad that I'm fairly sure is an iPod vehicle. It did end with the 'apple.ca' tagline, though.

(edit)

Well, after googling for 'u2 vertigo apple ad' ... it seems that it is in fact an iTunes ad.

Now, if I were a smart Apple marketing guy sitting on a TV commercial featuring U2, I don't really care if I have an iTMS in Canada to advertise. I just want to get that ad on TV to get people to think about my iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I haven't seen any ads either, but I don't watch a lot of TV.

And when I do, I'm fast forwarding past commecials.

Anyway, if it's going to happen this month in Canada, it's obviously tomorrow.

For my own impulse music buying needs, and for the sake of Apple's rep in Canada, I hope that this comes through tomorrow.

Starting countdown...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Don't know about those ads since I only watch TV (for longer than 10 minutes) once or twice a month <---- I am not joking.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Ads now appearing on Canadian television networks are advertising a localized version of Apple's iTunes Music Store, although the service has yet to open for business.

Hate to split hairs, but technically the ads are 'localised'. I think it's ironic that there is no 'safe' way to spell 'localise' -- but then Americans don't 'get' irony, and I'm American.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I'm pretty sure I remember seeing "apple.ca" at the end of the iPod+iTunes spots long before November. I guess I could be wrong, but I think people may just be noticing it more because of the iTMS anticipation.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    So... Have announcements of new countries for iTunes come late in the day before? What little is left of November is ticking away.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Not yet. Holding out hope.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Well, I put the blame for no Canadian iTMS squarely on the record companies and / or one of the various artists' licensing agencies (SOCAN, etc).

The technology is clearly there and we all know Apple wants to come to Canada.

Someone is trying to jerk Apple around by demanding something stupid, like:

- unreasonably high price for singles

- non-uniform usage rights for songs

- reduced personal use rights across the board

If that is the case, I'd rather have no iTMS in Canada than a weaker iTMS in Canada.

The iTunes Music Store is better than the competitors precisely because iTMS has uniform pricing and usage rights (among other things, like stellar ease of use).