Unofficial Power Mac G5 MWSF Spec Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

Consumer Tower:

Based on smaller version of G5 tower with the space for second processor removed and without zone dividers. Exterior iMac White.

Single processor running with bus running at 1/3rd processor Speed

Non-Dual Channel DDRII

1 PCI Expressx16

3 PCI

No Optical audio.

Matching 15" and 17" LCD Displays resembling iMac.

Why suggest so many slots in a consumer tower? It would really hurt higher end sales. I think there should be no slots, except for upgradable video and a nice big hard drive for iMovie fans. Otherwise, I like your idea. Do I think it will happen? No. \
  • Reply 22 of 84
    There is really no reason for not having the option for dual optical drives. You can probably fit three laptop DVD Burners in the space currently available. It would cost a bit more, but not more than $100 for Apple, which means it should be profitable at $150 to the end user. All they would need to do is replace the metal cover with a cover for two slot loading drives.

The HDs are even more ridiculous as there are currently third party brackets available to install a total of five standard HDs in the current tower. How much would a similar bracket cost Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Why suggest so many slots in a consumer tower? It would really hurt higher end sales. I think there should be no slots, except for upgradable video and a nice big hard drive for iMovie fans. Otherwise, I like your idea. Do I think it will happen? No. \

1 video and 3 expansion card slots is the norm for a mid-tower and believe me, 3 PCI slots isn't that many. The question should be why the 20" tall G5 has so few.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

1 video and 3 expansion card slots is the norm for a mid-tower and believe me, 3 PCI slots isn't that many. The question should be why the 20" tall G5 has so few.

Because option items like Airport Express cards, Bluetooth come in dedicated slots. Motherboards have become so integrated the need for PCI slots for expansion has dwindled substantially. 3 PCI slots and one graphics slot should cover 80% of all users.

I think the G5 has so few slots because Apple focused on cooling. They knew processors were going to start dissipating a lot of heat.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    y'all forgot standard DUAL LAYER DVD-R drives across the board.

They're cheap as hell.

Apple should burn in hell if they didnt provide this to thei Pro hardware market. Then again, they've done a lot of ass backwards things in the past, so...

I'm willing to bet that 2.8GHz Dualies could be available for next rev. Would be a good thing?
  • Reply 26 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That's because some of us feel Dual Layer is "Not ready for prime time" yet.

User burned dual layer DVD's are in incompatible with over 90% of household DVD players.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    really?

The ones I've burned, as well as my fiends, have had no issues.

weird.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    The reason they didn't include dual layer in the 2.5's is they had tons of superdrives lying around, and with the price points remaining constant, the added dual layer would've lowered their margin.

Compatibility is not really an issue with dual layer, in spite of the rumors by mainly just mac nerds.

It's as bad as 4.7gb DVD-R's, but, of course, nobody's complaining about those.

The problem I have with dual layer is the price of media.. I mean, I got a dvd burner to PIRATE movies, not to pay full price for a home-made copy!

j/k
  • Reply 29 of 84
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

The problem I have with dual layer is the price of media.. I mean, I got a dvd burner to PIRATE movies, not to pay full price for a home-made copy!

j/k

Yeh but wouldn't you be able to get two movies on one dvd, one per layer?
  • Reply 30 of 84
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Yeh but wouldn't you be able to get two movies on one dvd, one per layer?

Actually MOST commercial dvds I run into require dual layer to be copied exactly.

Long movies, multiple audio tracks, and languages, more times than not can be more than 4.7GB WITHOUT the special features.

So no, you couldn't fit 2 movies on 1 dual layer DVD MOST of the time without transcoding them, which diminishes the quality.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    My perdictions,

$1499

Single 2 Ghz PPC 970GX

256 MB of ram

5200 64 MB

2 HD bays

max ram bumped to 6 GB.

$1999

Dual 2 Ghz PPC 970GX

512 MB of ram.

9600XT 128 MB

2 HDs

max is bumped to 10 GB

$2499

Dual 2.5 Ghz PPC 970GX

512 MB of ram

9600XT 128 mb

2 HDS

max ram is 10 GB

$2999

dual 3 Ghz PPC 970GX

768 MB of ram

9800XT

2 HDS

max ram is 10 GB

Options

X800

6800 Gt

6800 Ultra

Able to downgrade the mid and lower Pmacs to the 5200 and save $50.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Apple needs an overhaul in the way they support DVD burners (and optical drives in general).

1. Ditch pioneer. They make nice drives, but NECs ND-3500 is faster and cheaper. While their at it, ditch the 32x combo drive. They should have been 48x two years ago.

2. Support all formats.

3. Support external drives.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Think again! The last I heard the Pioneer DVR-108 was the fastest dual layer burner made, and its already old, and ready to be replaced by the DVR-109 which has already reached legendary status, and it is not even available yet.

Pioneer is truely a pioneer in laser technology, and Apple would be foolish to dump them.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Think again! The last I heard the Pioneer DVR-108 was the fastest dual layer burner made, and its already old, and ready to be replaced by the DVR-109 which has already reached legendary status, and it is not even available yet.

Pioneer is truely a pioneer in laser technology, and Apple would be foolish to dump them.

Agreed!

• Reply 35 of 84
    Okay, my predictions (which I think are more grounded in reality than some might believe):

Single 2 GHz

970GX-based (as are all others)

512 MB of DDR2/400 memory (4 DIMM slots)

120 GB hard drive

16X dual-layer Superdrive

128 MB GeForce 6200 PCIe video

$1499

Dual 2 GHz

Same as single, but dual-processor

$1899

Dual 2.5 GHz

Same as dual 2, but:

512 MB of DDR2/533 memory (8 DIMM slots)

250 GB hard drive

$2499

Dual 3 GHz

Same as dual 2.5, but:

1 GB of DDR2/533 memory

256 MB ATI Radeon X700 XT video

$2999

Extra options:

Up to 16 GB of memory (dual 2.5 and 3 GHz models)

Up to a 400 GB hard drive

Video upgrades: X700 XT, X850 XT

Of course, I don't discount the possiblity that the prices will be slightly different, that there will be more nVidia options, or that there won't be any models with a 1 GB of memory out of the box. But I think this lineup could happen... whether it's January or later is another matter!
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Okay, my predictions (which I think are more grounded in reality than some might believe):

Single 2 GHz

970GX-based (as are all others)

512 MB of DDR2/400 memory (4 DIMM slots)

120 GB hard drive

16X dual-layer Superdrive

128 MB GeForce 6200 PCIe video

$1499

In the low end configuration the default player would probably be the combo drive.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

In the low end configuration the default player would probably be the combo drive.

Doubtful, since the current single comes with a Superdrive.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:

Not really - and the cost of 16X dual-layer drives isn't as much as you'd think. The combo drive would only be there for people who want to save as much money as possible.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Not really - and the cost of 16X dual-layer drives isn't as much as you'd think. The combo drive would only be there for people who want to save as much money as possible.

Newegg is selling the OEM version of the A08XL for $74. I'd guess Apple gets them for around $50.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    MWSF is only 34 days away now boys, and girls.

So here it is:

onlookers fabulous MWSF prediction!
    • #1) A rehashing of all the crap ( that says a lot right there)

• #2) To be continued at a later date. What do you expect from me?