Now that's what I call a rumour!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

NT 3.51 ran on PPC & Alpha (and possibly MIPS as well). I'm not sure but I believe NT 4 ran on Alpha as well, but I'm almost positive PPC development stopped at NT 3.51.

Rumble is that some form of Windows will be/is running on G5's for Xbox development. Then again, maybe all Xbox development will be done on G5's running Mac OS X. Not saying that this in any way shape or form would ever ever end up as a salable product.

Please pardon my total ingnorance if this is BS, just something I recently read on the web and we know how reliable the web is.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Rumble is that some form of Windows will be/is running on G5's for Xbox development. Then again, maybe all Xbox development will be done on G5's running Mac OS X. Not saying that this in any way shape or form would ever ever end up as a salable product.

Please pardon my total ingnorance if this is BS, just something I recently read on the web and we know how reliable the web is.

There were pictures on a blog by a (now fired) MS serf of MS receiving an entire pallet of G5 computers earlier this year. It's no secret MS is using some form of PPC in XBox-next and I believe MS admitted they are using G5 computers to develop for XBox-next.

I would imagine that whatever they're using G5 boxen for doesn't include OS X.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Yes it is all she wrote, because IBM has a non-compete clause that they can't sell any PCs (other than Lenovo's) for the next five years. Not Apple's or anyone else's. The thread is finished. Last one out turn off the lights.

But we are talking SERVERS. Desktops and laptops will be from Lenovo's. This may be the clause that makes the deal for Apple, now Apple knows that IBM will not be competing with them just extending the market. The low end server market.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

XBox doesn't run Windows or MacOS X, it has its own OS. It just so happens that Apple sells the most convenient PowerPC hardware currently available.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

XBox doesn't run Windows or MacOS X, it has its own OS. It just so happens that Apple sells the most convenient PowerPC hardware currently available.

That's not entirely true. The Xbox uses a version of the windows 2000 kernal.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

There were pictures on a blog by a (now fired) MS serf of MS receiving an entire pallet of G5 computers earlier this year.

Those were for the marketing division.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The official XBox development platform is a G5 running a 'form' of Windows.