iPod Flash... (picture!)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

grow up?

a thread about a future hardware product was removed from the future hardware forum. perhaps you need to reevaluate things instead of telling people to grow up.

No Kidding
  • Reply 22 of 59
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This has been policy for a long time now. I'm surprised no-one's even chirped about it until now. The idea has been that since the vast bulk of FH is about Mac hardware specifically, we'd just keep it that way, and bring iPod speculation in with all the speculation about cell phones and other third-party Digital Hub stuff, since iPod speculation tended to bring those ideas in most often.

While we're discussing policy, please PM me or Jambo or Kasper if you have a complaint about moderation here, or post in Suggestions if you'd like a general policy change.

Thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    The iPod micro!!!!!!! ----> .

you can barely see it!!!

sorry, i'm just tired of iPod buzz. good for apple though.

anyways, just ignore me.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    I don't think Apple will release a third iPod design just because it uses flash memory. More likely they will announce 1GB and 5GB iPod mini models at MWSF. Both will feature the same design but the 1GB will use flash memory. Maybe the 1GB model will be thinner but I don't buy into these rumors of a keychain device with no screen.

iPod mini 1GB $149

iPod mini 5GB $249

Why are Future Hardware topics being model to Digital Hub simply because they have to do with the iPod? That logic is twisted unless you plan to add a Future Digital Hub forum or something. A future iPod is future hardware after all.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rendezvous

OK - sorry about the hyped title... Anyway here is my idea and mock-up for the flash model - 512k flash - USB 2 (note: firewire not required as data transfer is low) - 5 colours and a free Gym workout training chart... As this babe is aimed at sports lovers of the world...

I have an iPod 3G and to be honest it is too much for the gym or jogging - OK the mini would be fine but a flash based iPod is a solution for me and most people - give it a $99 / £79 (yeah I know UK fans) price tag and I think Apple are there... Sorry about the pink - enjoy the pic

Hey, it looks almost identical to the one I put up today at MacKompass today.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by DasDaSein

Hey, it looks almost identical to the one I put up today at MacKompass today.

WOW!!! The funny thing is we are probably miles off the mark...

Regarding the iPod flash... Maybe the flash thing is more than an ipod... What if the new flash device is the iCam camera integrating iPod, music and photos ? This is already happening to a degree with iPod photo... Just a thought...
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

My idea for a thin flash-based iPod micro:

looks more like the next gen mini
  • Reply 28 of 59
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

looks more like the next gen mini

Maybe. It's much smaller and thinner than the mini. Here it is in metallic colors:

• Reply 29 of 59
    wow, i really like the metal colors!
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

I don't think Apple will release a third iPod design just because it uses flash memory. More likely they will announce 1GB and 5GB iPod mini models at MWSF. Both will feature the same design but the 1GB will use flash memory. Maybe the 1GB model will be thinner but I don't buy into these rumors of a keychain device with no screen.

iPod mini 1GB $149

iPod mini 5GB $249

Why are Future Hardware topics being model to Digital Hub simply because they have to do with the iPod? That logic is twisted unless you plan to add a Future Digital Hub forum or something. A future iPod is future hardware after all.

I really think you hit the mark.

I don't think Steve Jobs likes coming out with too diverse of a product line. Yes, I know that we now have a U2 iPod and iPod photo. But they are basically the same design with a few little extra features thrown in.

I think this might be what Apple does also. Take the iPod Mini -- Apple's weapon against the flash-based digital player market -- and simply improve it to compete better...

Increase the storage on the current design while also coming up with a smaller/thinner/cheaper version. Keep the same overall design, but simply add a few new improvements.

I have always thought that the iPod is more than defined by its click wheel. Sure that's one of its big features, but the whole design distinguishes it.

A rectangle with a screen on top and a click wheel below. Something you can simply hold in one hand and navigate with your thumb. I think Apple wants to keep the overall look of the iPod to keep its brand/design growing strong. But nothing is stopping them from making it thinner and cheaper.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All those designs are WRONG.

Here is why: Apple will find out a way to overlay the Click Wheel over the LCD screen. This will cut in half the space that is required for the interface. If it was flash based it would be smaller than even the mini and so it would need this. Apple has world-class design, I'm sure they could figure this out.

I think the time is ripe for a Flash iPod. Prices are down, capacities up. The thing is: it's a different market. People that don't want to spend 3 digits on a Walkman. There are an abundance of flash-based MP3 players out there in CompUSA's and Sears stores that are under $99. And yes, they are selling. Apple could crush them ALL with a iPod Flash. I think by now, the economy of scale, all the R&D already paid for, market recognition, etc, have made it economically viable. I think they'll do it, and they'll flat out crush Rio and all the other wannabes. Like Sony. hah.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

All those designs are WRONG.

Here is why: Apple will find out a way to overlay the Click Wheel over the LCD screen.

• Reply 33 of 59
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    You really don´t see the problem with that design?
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

What? That your thumb covers the display while you're using the click wheel? So what. Pretend your iPod has a "display wheel". Put your thumb on the display and rotate it as if it were the wheel. You'll see that the act of roatating your thumb actually moves it out of the way so you can see what you're doing.

Or that it couldn't really be a "click" wheel? Find my original post and read it. I suggested that the buttons would be accessed by tapping.

You've got to think line an engineer, dude. When you see a problem with an idea, don't throw out the idea. Simply address the problem. Can't "click"? then find another way.

wouldn't the screen get horribly smudged, or scratched?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    As I said before in the last Flash iPod thread (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hlight=overlay), tonton that idea is simply brilliant. It must have occurred to them. I wonder why they didn't use it for the mini? Perhaps visual simplicity, or because that was as small as they could get the hard drive and other innards. But of course that will change with Flash.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:

wouldn't the screen get horribly smudged, or scratched?

Nah. We already know Apple is using Indestructo? technology on the iPod. Now if only they could apply this to the metal finish on the back! :eek:
  • Reply 37 of 59
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If the iPod pendant idea is correct, Milano cookie-like, it could look like this:

The FW port can be covered with a rubber cover. The neck loop is, of course, out of proportion but you get the idea. A cool way to get past no display would be if the playlist and song names were converted to MP3 files so they could be spoken when selected by the clickwheel. You'd get auditory feedback instead of visual. This would also be great for blind people.

Kudos to those who already thought/stated these things. I'm just trying to put stuff together.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Kudos to those who already thought/stated these things. I'm just trying to put stuff together. [/B]

I posted this concept too but your rendering kicks butt...kicked mine, at least.

Congrats.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    As the Stereophonics song goes, 'It's the not knowing that gets you.' I can't wait any longer for an iPod micro. When is the keynote, is it the 11th of January? That's a whole month away! Grumble grumble grumble.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Nah. We already know Apple is using Indestructo? technology on the iPod. Now if only they could apply this to the metal finish on the back! :eek:

well, before mine broke, the screen was getting pretty white from just sliding it in and out of the case. so, i figure, if i rubbed my thumb on it a lot, it would get even more scratched.