The new benchmark! This time - DVD ripping.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    To rip a legally owned dvd to my system (future) do I have to have a Superdrive or would a Combodrive suffice?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Advance The Man

To rip a legally owned dvd to my system (future) do I have to have a Superdrive or would a Combodrive suffice?

As long as it can READ the DVD, it will work. A Combo can read, therefore you don't need a SuperDrive.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    gjas15gjas15 Posts: 24member
    From my experience with h.264 its quality isnt all that great even with the bit rate up around 2000kpbs... i think the ffmpeg encoder just isnt all that great... and it took about 17hrs to encode the last samurai on my 1.67 powerbook with 1GB ram

oh and thats with all the settings turned on
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Yep H264 is just too slow to encode on either mac I have, especially when I can't see any obvious benefits.

One thing that annoys me with ripping DVDs is that you get pixelation, particularly with fast moving scenes, scenes with lots of water and dark scenes (but not so much as the other two). At what point does this pixelation disappear? It isn't apparent on the DVDs, but very noticeable on 1.2GB Mp4 encoded movies. I wonder what the sweet spot is, or is it the codec? \
  • Reply 25 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member

DVDs are encoded in MPEG-2, which is lossy.

Re-encoding it in H.264, which is lossy, is going to *ALWAYS* result in a worse image than the DVD.