Inside Mac OS X Tiger build 8A323

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    I'm sure you can set a preference which files to show and which not, and hidden files will surely remain hidden. No accidental pr0n-files will show up, no worries
  • Reply 22 of 69
    As good as spotlight sounds, I can't help but think that I wont use it all too much. My college work is in a folder called College Work in the Documents folder. I open Word and a list of all the recently opened docs is right there - no hunting.

iTunes organises my music. iPhoto my photo's. Any music/sound clips not in iTunes is just inside the music folder or in a folder suitably named; any pictures not in iPhoto are the same.

All my files are in aptly named folders, and I really don't see how Spotlight could make browsing my files any easier. I understand if you have files about one project scattered it'll collect them together, but I'd just store them in one folder in the Documents folder.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Let me give a work example:

One of my clients is Pepsi, and let's say one particular case involves both Pepsi and Apple. Now, I have several documents containing references to this case, be it Word, Powerpoint, Keynote files or even emails. What I do is this: I setup a smart folder with the keywords: Pepsi and Apple and, boom!, all documents about that case are there!! That's a life-saver for me!
  • Reply 24 of 69
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Hmmm, does anybody know if smart folders are fully scriptable? So that there'd be a easy way to, say, show the 20 most used aplications that isn't in the dock. As i imagine that the current interface doesn't allow you to do that, or...?
  • Reply 25 of 69
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm not sure just how extensive the smart folder functions are. Ultimately, these things bring cross-referencing back into our lives, something a lot of people got away from with computers, but used more back when library had actual card catalogs. That's one of those things where once you (re)dicover it, you wonder how you ever got along without it.

Searches and smart folders can be overkill of course. The whole Spotlight thing stems from a realization that with larger capacity storage and more advanced uses and users of computers, people are going to be overwhelmed with files and info if they have to do all the janitorial work themselves. If you're not in a situation where you're struggling to place and find your stuff, then smart folders and spotlight can sometimes be more effort than it's worth. Which is why the simple folders approach isn't going away either.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Will TextEdit open up '.xls' files (excel)? The report mentioned it can now do tables is this an implication?

On the odd occasion some dildo head will send me an excel file, there seems to be no small app like TextEdit (lucky TE opens word doc's) which will open these file types.

I for one refuse to pay for ANY M$ software let a lone expensive Office for this, in fact even if an image of office magically appeared on my hard drive id refuse to install (in such case the image would be bounced into the trash) and use their products.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

Will TextEdit open up '.xls' files (excel)? The report mentioned it can now do tables is this an implication?

Highly doubtful. I'd go so far as to say 'no'.

Quote:

I for one refuse to pay for ANY M$ software let a lone expensive Office for this, in fact even if an image of office magically appeared on my hard drive id refuse to install (in such case the image would be bounced into the trash) and use their products.

This is why OpenOffice exists.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Meaning that you have no reason to change.

Anyway, Tiger does seems more targeted towards developers than end users.

Which means that 5 seconds after new incredible apps come out using the 10.4 technologies, everyone and their dog that hasn't already upgraded will start whining that Apple is abandoning 10.3 users, *forcing* them to upgrade 'just to use an app', and should instead port all the new technologies back to 10.3 so they can get them for free.

People will upgrade to Tiger because the new apps this will enable will be worth it many times over.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

All my files are in aptly named folders, and I really don't see how Spotlight could make browsing my files any easier. I understand if you have files about one project scattered it'll collect them together, but I'd just store them in one folder in the Documents folder.

Great, so you have them all in one folder.

Now you need to do a end-of-year report of all your account expenses - do you:

a) Make a new Expenses2004 folder, and move all the account expense files in there? (Thereby displacing some of the account data from the account folder?)

b) Do the same, but make aliases?

c) Belatedly realize that a & b both require you to manually make sure that *all* accounts are similarly handled any time you add a new account, deactivate an old account, etc?

d) Use Spotlight, and gather all the files into one Smart Folder that updates itself *for* you, and lets you still use per-account as your primary organizational tool? (Not to mention gathering all the email, iCal items, Address Book entries, etc, in one place)

Spotlight is the shibnitz, and looks to be the biggest leap forward in usability in years.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Highly doubtful. I'd go so far as to say 'no'.

This is why OpenOffice exists.

Im sure your right, it does exist in a free form, probably because its more hideous than M$'s poorest efforts!!!

My criteria again if u missed it, 'a small light app to simply open an excel file'. Perhaps im alone in thinking downloading, installing X11 first then downloading open office at 155meg and installing fits the profile of a small light app
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Any fresh crack on Safari? Has an 'Offline mode' been implemented yet?

Javascript control? eg disallowing scripts from moving and resizing windows?

My longest standing wish - a function which changes the behavior of 'windows opening when a link is clicked' ~ user setting to 'open link in tab' instead. Now i know i can command click a link, but not every link is set to open in a new window, so i must constantly be looking in the status bar for this possible operation. However some pages have scrolling text in the status bar, masking any behavioral info in the status bar :-(
  • Reply 32 of 69
    why wait for all that when you can have (read :: buy) something as elegant as Omniweb 5 which makes full-use of dual-processors. For simple browsing Safari is great, the moment you want something more there's Omniweb, which has RSS right now btw!
  • Reply 33 of 69
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Which means that 5 seconds after new incredible apps come out using the 10.4 technologies, everyone and their dog that hasn't already upgraded will start whining that Apple is abandoning 10.3 users, *forcing* them to upgrade 'just to use an app', and should instead port all the new technologies back to 10.3 so they can get them for free.

People will upgrade to Tiger because the new apps this will enable will be worth it many times over.

Yep. Thanks for finishing my thought that I was too lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy to type yesterday. And, btw, what's shibnitz?
  • Reply 34 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

why wait for all that when you can have (read :: buy) something as elegant as Omniweb 5 which makes full-use of dual-processors. For simple browsing Safari is great, the moment you want something more there's Omniweb, which has RSS right now btw!

OW doesnt allow user style sheets, i wont use it purely for this reason!! Other reasons, OW's draw is very impractical on a powerbook i want a tab bar like Safari, OW, is slow and buggy, and the add blocking is poor compared to pithelmet. OW's URL autocomplete implementation is terrible.

RSS is completely useless to me btw and i dont have dual processors!!!

I only ask for 3 small features in Safari, i love the was the application functions, it just needs a few little extras. OW, i always hated how it operated, it has far too many short comings.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:

OW doesnt allow user style sheets, etc (edit)

On a powerbook OW5 in indeed slow unfortunately - on my dual G5 it simply flies. But then again, if you don't like it - it's not for you, somple as that

It's not, however, slow and buggy though. It's an amazing piece of software!
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Yep. Thanks for finishing my thought that I was too lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy to type yesterday. And, btw, what's shibnitz?

shibnitz(n): 1. Da bomb. 2. r0x0rs. 3. bitchin'. cf. Spotlight.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

OW doesnt allow user style sheets, i wont use it purely for this reason!!

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWUserStyleSheetLocation

file:///Users/your account/Documents/OWCSS.css
  • Reply 38 of 69
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

That's not so good. I'll have to find a better way of hiding my secret stuff.

use Disk Utility and make yourself a 650MB encrypted disk image... or 4.3GB is you need a lot of space. Thats what I do. With a 20 word long password
  • Reply 39 of 69
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    dose QUICKTIME MPEG4 AVC/H.264 encode/decode work in these builds or is it not present?
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

file:///Users/your account/Documents/OWCSS.css

sounds like u are suggesting some cryptic method of entering a preference to use a stylesheet in the 'com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist'.

i entered in the terminal

command not found

a simple UI pref woiuld be nice