Whatcha' Reading? Redux

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

The book I'm starting is The Economics and Politics of Race by Thomas Sowell. I am really looking forward to this.

That book is a fantastic read. I finished it over a Christmas break a number of years ago.

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Thanks for those tips, Gon and Stupider...likeafox!

I'd love to read a book on how to read a book!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Over break I intend to read the better part of J.R.R. Tolkien's works (again). I'm already into The Silmarillion, and then will go forward through The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

If I have time left, which I should, I plan to finish whatever other books I haven't finished yet. I have Tom Clancy's "Shadow Warriors" (NonF), "South" & "The Endurance" (NonF) about Antartic Expeditions by Ernest Shackleton. "The Screwtape Letters" (F) and "Till We Have Faces" (F) by C.S. Lewis. After that, I'll be sure to delve back into my various programming books.

I'll look at some of those up the page too.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    If you're looking for a programming book I cannot more highly recommend "The Pragmatic Programmer" by Andy Thomas and Dave Hunt.

It's genius and I plan to re-read it over the holidays for some inspiration.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Just started on Catch 22. I like it a lot so far...
  • Reply 26 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    am reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. For the second time actually. Read it first time one year ago and loved it but since I was so engrossed by it that I didnt absorb all the details. So, here I am again. Just as fun and great a read.

NEW, Catch22 is weird book but I loved it by the time I got to the middle of it.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

How's it? That's on my immediate "to read" list. Number9Dream was awesome, except that the "goatwriter" crap should have been eliminated.

Finished it a couple of days ago. I'm honestly not quite sure what to think of it. I chatted briefly about it with a cousin of mine who had read it, and I simply said that although I thought the structure of the thing was interesting and creative, the "point" seems to be rather pedestrian. I've generally had good luck with the Booker prize list (e.g. Swift and Martel), but this one...I don't know. I honestly don't quite know what to do with it. I'd be very interested in discussing it with folks here.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i'm almost done with riverworld. next book on my list is the sparrow by mary doria russel. i have the german edition though which makes it a faster read.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    hmm...

reading? ok...

Guide to the Dissection of the Dog

Veterinary Anatomy

Physiology

Medical Microbiology

Medical Immunology

Immunology Made Easy

Medical Histology

Atlas of Veterinary Histology

those are the books that i'm actually reading (about half i ignore).

in a few days i will add:

Veterinary Neurology

Anatomy of the Horse

Embryology

damn my life sucks...

oh, and when i have time (about a week every 6 months), i am trying to finish The Dark Tower series by King. I am almost done with Wizard and Glass thus far. quite entertaining.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    I just finished Devil in the White City (Erik Larson), which I started to give me a break from Special Providence (Walter Russell Mead) and the Refinement of America (Richard Bushman). The latter two books are not the easiest read, but Devil in the White City is refreshingly quick.

I'm hoping to start The Soul of a Chef sometime soon.