PowerPC G6?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    And those skiis aren't exactly a household name like Apple Computer is. There's more publicity to be had for naming the car the G6 when Apple's possible next CPU is going to be called the same thing.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I was also thinking about the potential for problems with the Pontiac G6 name as well. Apple might want to neatly avoid a costly court battle.

I really don't think Apple needs to, or does concern their self with the pontiac G6 whatsoever. I doubt the thought even crossed their minds.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    You guys are reading way too much into this. G is just a letter associated with travel and more specifically speed. Think of how people associate g-forces with acceleration, braking, and cornering. As for the 6...

Audi A4 - 4 cylinder engine

Audi A6 - 6 cylinder engine

Audi A8 - 8 cylinder engine

Pontiac G6 - 6 cylinder engine

So get it? It's a fast car with a six cylinder engine. That's all they're trying to get at with "G6."
  • Reply 24 of 32
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

. . . So get it? It's a fast car with a six cylinder engine. That's all they're trying to get at with "G6."

Apple is missing some good marketing dazzle regarding speed of the operating system. OS X is fast because it has a Mach 3 kernel.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I think Gillette already has the Mach 3 name...
  • Reply 26 of 32
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I think Gillette already has the Mach 3 name...

Then Apple should sue!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

You guys are reading way too much into this. G is just a letter associated with travel and more specifically speed. Think of how people associate g-forces with acceleration, braking, and cornering. As for the 6...

Audi A4 - 4 cylinder engine

Audi A6 - 6 cylinder engine

Audi A8 - 8 cylinder engine

Pontiac G6 - 6 cylinder engine

So get it? It's a fast car with a six cylinder engine. That's all they're trying to get at with "G6."

A2 : 2 cylinder ?

A4 can be build with 4, 6 or 8 cylinders, same for A6.

There is no 4 cylinders for the A8, but a W12 cylinders is supported.

Personnaly I am very interested in the A6 TDI 4 cylinder
  • Reply 28 of 32
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

That's the only reason Pontiac did that.

The issue of confusion of automobiles with other products was dealt with in the lawsuit by Beretta firearms and Chevrolet. Beretta was concerned that somehow or other the public would wind up having a lesser opinion of their shotguns because Chevy named a (supposedly) mediocre auto the same thing.

Not surprisingly the court had trouble seeing how the public would confuse a car with a shotgun and threw the suit out. I think that case would provide the answer in any Pontiac complaints about an Apple G6.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Who gives a rat's ass? The guy made an obnoxious comment that should be ignored. Just read up on trademark and patent laws.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    HP names its servers with the G2, G3, G4 designation. We have a few Proliant ML370 G3 servers and will be getting some DL360 G4 servers soon. It stands for the same thing Apple's designation is used for; Generation 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Ironically, I was looking at Pontiac G6 the other day. Also in spate of irony as well, I was considering replacing my digital camera...and was looking at the Canon G6. I would love nothing more for Apple to come out with the Power Mac G6, because then I would have to buy all three !
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I see a possibility that Apple will play out the G5 series

as long as they can then repackage their marketing around another name entirely.

So far the PowerMac has never exceeded two individual processors.

This could easily lead to a new dual, dual core configuration trading as

QuadraMac

The use of the Antares chip could also inspire

the use of new designations such as A5, A6 and so on.

the use of Power 5 chips and beyond

could then also change the designations to names such

as P5, P6 and so on.

Since these designations revolve around the CPU chips

there might also be a possibilty of renaming the products

based on the number of processors

P1, P2 and P4

Just a thought <">