PC Magazine 10 Worst Products of the Year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Would not be surprised to see that in January as a quiet release or even a demo with a slightly different form factor.

Since when apple computer introduces new Macs with just a slightly different form factor? They never did so far (not counting the beige days).

Quote:

Not fancy but conveneient little places to check email or look up a recipe... Espcially for guest bedrooms and guests...

Oh sweet, you seem to be a very nice guy.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Never took the grandpa comment as an insult towards the elderly but more of a non-educated gross generalization.

I would still personally rather have a PC with Linux though. The eMac just isn?t powerful enough for the price.

Powerful to do what? Compared to what?
  • Reply 43 of 45
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Coming from PC Mag, I think this is funny...It's a Mac, not a PC...

And another thing, why don't they have Windows XP SP2 listed as one of the worst products of the year?
  • Reply 44 of 45
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Powerful to do what? Compared to what?

Geeesh man, not everything Apple makes is gold. All I'm saying if "I" was on a 800 dollar budget, I would rather go with a PC that offers more expandability and is a little (almost twice) faster.

Any PC option below I can add a better HD or Video card for under 60 bucks I just wanted to stay at or as near to 800 as possible.

800 dollars at Apple gets you

1.25GHz PowerPC G4 <- pathetic desktop CPU for the end of 2004, come on Apple stop being cheap already!

256MB DDR333 SDRAM <- Apple charges a 75 dollar upgrade for another 256mb OEM memory, Kingston 256MB DDR400 Memory is 40 dollars anywhere.

40GB Ultra ATA drive <- 5400 RPM, What year is this?

Combo drive <- 24x write

Warranty - 1 year normal 3 day turn around ( Great Service, fast turn around)

800 bucks at HP gets you

Mandrake Linux

2.60GHz

512MB DDR PC2700

40GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard drive

17 in monitor

48X/32X/48X CDRW drive Linux

Warranty - 3 years - parts, labor, onsite - next business day

800 bucks at Dell gets you

Windows XP Home

2.80GHz

512MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz

40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

17 in CRT

16x DVD-ROM, 48x 32x CD-RW Drive

1Yr Ltd. Warranty

800 bucks at IBM get you

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

2,8 ghz

40gb 7200 rpm

512MB PC2700

17 in CRT

48x 32x CD-RW Drive

1Yr Ltd. Warranty

<EDIT>

Yes you get Windows with some of the options above but I would install BSD, Linux or Solaris on it I just wanted to add that comment in case this turns into a "but it's got Windows debate".

</EDIT>
  • Reply 45 of 45
    I wouldn't put too much faith in this review.

The Samsung S3C2410 processor in the iPaq they reviewed consistently benches equivalent to the Intel PXA255 400MHz (XScale). Some areas slower, some faster, but overall the same. Beyond that, the Samsung has a more simplistic scheme of low power modes, which incidentally are better than what the XScale has. (Full peripheral support at 30mW!!! . . . I am a dork)

But PC Mag is just continuing their love-fest for Intel and Dell, which, lo and behold, advertise a ton in their magazine.

Go figure.