Oedilf

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Geez don't sneak up on my like that tonton, scared the shit out of me. Thought I had the place to myself. Puts a bit of a kybosh on my plan to have my own thread. But I'm sure you'll tire of this limerick business eventually and I can be patient.

Almost dropped "dactylic hexameter" on her staphy but decided to save it for a special occasion.

Now tonton, do we need to do something to get final approval? In the RFA table there's a column headed "My RFA". Any idea what that's all about?

Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

"Aardvark" is tentative.

But I have just disagreed with Meg on one suggestion she's made. The only reason I think she'd make such a suggestion would be that she sees "associateship" as five syllables, while I see it as four.

Dear sir, as our board has elected

Your associateship has been rejected

On the basis that we

(Sorry though we may be)

Feel our purposes aren?t quite connected.

She suggested to take out "has" and change to

"associateship was rejected" or "associateship's been rejected". I don't think so.

So now you've got two tentatives? Damn. But you've risked incurring the wrath of Meg by disagreeing with her so that might slow you down a bit. Was she school marmish (sp?) with you too? You'd probably like it. Get ya horny ya sick bastard.

Unfortunately, as much as it aggrieves me to say it, I find myself in agreement with Meg re: associateship - as/soc/i/ate/ship. I think it should be

"Your associateship's been rejected"

But you could enter into the spirit of things with me and reply "Meg, your suggestion has been rejected."

I got this off her today for arbitrariness (italics as per original quote)

Quote:

Meg Beagle

02 Jan 2005 20:25

Hey, you can write anapest meter! Rah!

She's a frickin' classic isn't she. My reply

Quote:

chester

03 Jan 2005 11:32

Who would have thunk it Meg?!!

Had to put in the appleinsider one. Improved it a bit for the final version. Couldn't resist. Either I'll get away with it or my career as a limerickist is about to be cut tragically short.

Still the pay was lousy so what the heck.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Four tentatives! Count 'em tonton. I had six (yes 6, you read it right) but I did revisions of two. I expect RFA for the final version of The AppleInsider Limerick anytime now.

Here's a tale of a fruit-boring vandal.

Apple maggot's a bug I can't handle:

A larval free rider,

An apple insider,

An entomological scandal!

No doubt I'm about to get a PM from Kasper asking me to be the official Poet Laureate. Such a position, I'm sure, can only be conferred by The Big Cheese himself. I shall, of course, accept with the trademark grace and humility for which I am renown.

Finished Anglo French this morning. I knew reading Powerdoc's posts would come in handy sooner or later. With a French accent please.

"The English," said the man from Paris,

"'E is not much different to me.

It is from, I'm efraid,

The same stuff 'e is made."

"Anglo French?" you ask. I say, "Mais oui!"

Meg replied to my "who would have thunk it?" with

Quote:

ARF!

Get it? So she does have a sense of humor after all. I desperately wanted to come back with "I guess that's beagle for yes." But I thought better of it.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:

I'm not sure if it has any function. When four (I think) WEs have given an RFA, the limerick will be emailed to you for your approval in its final form. Your reply to this email goes to the EiC who gives final approval.

Gotcha.

Quote:

Nine.

Quote:

(But I never saw this as a contest)

Good. That means I can't lose.

Quote:

Agreed. She does grate a little. And I only like school marmish Asians. I like submissive Caucasians. Care to psychoanalyze?

Not if I can possibly avoid it......

Quote:

Meg: "L3 could use a comma at its end, inside the quote. You don't need one at the end of L4, but you need noun/pronoun agreement "botanist" (singular) and "they" (plural)."

tonton: "Agree re puctuation but disagree about "they" which can be the unisex singular (he or she)."

Meg: "Not to me, but you're the author."

I'm with you on this one tonton (Oh get out of my frickin' inbox will ya. I'm typing as fast as I can. Sheesh.) The "they" clearly doesn't refer to the botanist.

Time for a smart arse reply tonton. Be a man! Force that Caucasian bitch to do your bidding!
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:

Oh, and I now have twenty tentatives out of the 23 limericks I've submitted, nine with at least one RFA.

I'm about ready to kill the fucking bitch.

In a last ditch effort to keep my annoyance under control, I've decided to simply ignore her. I'm not replying to her comments or acting on her suggestions. With a bit of luck she'll take the hint and simply FUCK OFF. I fail to see why the supercilious attitude is necessary. She makes you lot look positively polite. Hell, she makes applenut look polite! I'm appreciating you all more by the minute. I resolve to be nicer to people at AI in future and to never take them for granted again.

You've submitted 23?! Congratulations on the 20 tentatives. Your success is well-deserved.

I think Old Akko is very clever.

See, I've started already.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Finished Anglo French this morning. I knew reading Powerdoc's posts would come in handy sooner or later. With a French accent please.

"The English," said the man from Paris,

"'E is not much different to me.

It is from, I'm efraid,

The same stuff 'e is made."

"Anglo French?" you ask. I say, "Mais oui!"

I will not even try to submit a limmerick,

because I am not a geek

simply a lame dick,

trolling the chicks.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Ho hum. She didn't take the hint. Easy come, easy go.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chester at OEDILF

Meg let me spell it out for you. I find the tone of your comments quite obnoxious and until such time as you learn to moderate it, I have no intention of either replying to or acting upon any of your suggestions. There are clearly plenty of people here who can provide feedback without the need for the holier-than-thou attitude. I am surprised the people who run this site have been prepared to let you get away with it because there is no doubt in my mind that you do this project no favours by behaving like a complete ass. If they have a problem with me saying that, fine. If it's a choice between not participating or having to go on dealing with whatever your personal issues are, I choose not to participate.

I shall henceforth be the President of the tonton OEDILF Fan Club.

Oh no, now what.....
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I will not even try to submit a limmerick

Wise move.

Have I told you lately you're my favorite Frenchman.

Oh well you are.

Gotta go. There's roughly 18,000 more AI members I've got to be nice to.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Wise move.

Have I told you lately you're my favorite Frenchman.

Oh well you are.

Gotta go. There's roughly 18,000 more AI members I've got to be nice to.

Thanks, needless to say that you are my favorite Aussiewoman, but cela va sans dire.
  • Reply 29 of 70

I sense the breathless anticipation with which you await the result of my travail. Well first, rumgumption chimed in

Quote:

rumgumption

05 Jan 2005 18:32

After considering responding to the below by private message, I've elected to comment here instead. Anyone considering this less than optimal, please let me know.

Chester: I can understand where you're coming from; Meg is blunt to a fault, which can be intimidating or offputting when she takes issue with something one has written. However, having watched her in action on no small number of limericks (and having wrangled with her over details in a few of my own) it is my considered opinion that she is neither hostile nor holier-than-thou, and that she has the good of the limerick (and ultimately the writer) at heart. Is she always right? No. Could she benefit from a bit more tact? Yes. Is she an asset to this community? Absolutely! So are you, and I'd hate it if you left because you thought our beagle was unfriendly.

If you're interested in my thoughts on how to get along in a forum such as this, check out my post under "approval of controversial limericks" in the workshoppers' workshop area.

(Please note: all of the above is my opinion alone.)

So what you're telling me, rumgumption, is she's a pain in the arse but just ignore her as best I can huh? (Then he RFAed the limerick.)

Oh, oh here comes the rebuttal

Quote:

Meg Beagle

05 Jan 2005 18:49

chester, I've been trying to help you get a couple of limericks up to snuff. You apparently haven't liked my suggestions. That's your prerogative. But instead of saying, "No, thanks, I like it the way it is," you've reacted like this:

"Don't hold back, Meg. Hit me with your rhythm stick. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen."

Nevertheless, since I had started trying to work with you on a couple of your rhymes, I kept on. Obviously, that was a mistake that will not be repeated. You don't have to concern yourself with ignoring my suggestions; there won't be any more of them. My take is that you resent any implication that what you've posted isn't perfect right off the bat. That's also your prerogative. It will be interesting, however, to see how many of your limericks get approved if you continue to resist any workshopping that involves a serious critique of your work.

Good luck with your limericks.

An excellent result AFAIC. Eight out of nine tentatives this morning Meg so somebody up there loves me.

So I toddle over to the forums to see what ranks as a bit of biffo in this crowd's eyes (we'd eat them alive!) But I notice the latest update of Meg's sig (you're gonna love this tonton)

Quote:

Meg Beagle

(January 5th is my fourteenth birthday!)

Yes tonton a 13 year olds been lecturing us. (I have to say I did wonder.)
  • Reply 30 of 70
    At this point, I couldn't help but feel I was getting under Meg's skin.

Hey Meg, honey, scratch this.

Quote:

chester

06 Jan 2005 00:10

I see today (yesterday where I am) is your fourteenth birthday Meg. Best wishes.

I, on the other hand, am old enough to be your mother. Indeed, almost old enough to be your grandmother. I have to say I did wonder. I assure you, with each passing day, I realize the older I get the less I know. But this does not preclude me from knowing you still have a great deal to learn.

I appreciate your honesty about being unable to modify your behaviour. From my perspective, this discourse has been extremely worthwhile.

And Meg loses it

Quote:

Meg Beagle

06 Jan 2005 01:08

"I appreciate your honesty about being unable to modify your behaviour. From my perspective, this discourse has been extremely worthwhile."

I now believe that the problem is your reading comprehension, something I hadn't suspected.

As for me, I'm a 14-year-old DOG. My human parents are considerably older. My human Mom types for me. She says she plans to go on learning for the rest of her life. So do I.

Enough...this has gone on far too long, and, unlike you, I don't think it's been the least bit worthwhile.

Edited by Meg Beagle, 2005-01-06 01:10:07

Back away slowly towards the door tonton. I'll throw her a bone to distract her attention.

An angelical nature's a treat,

And always delightful to meet.

But benign little saint,

There are some who just ain't,

And paybacks are awfully sweet.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    chester, what little brats you 'tract,

Swinging with words when best to bat.

Open stance, target face,

Firm footing, swung with grace,

And a lesson learned or skull cracked.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Why billybob! If I might be so bold, I must say you're looking especially handsome of late.

Hey tonton, has your life's musical journey led you past the house of Adam Ant? I expect it has. Well....

When Adam sang Stand and Deliver,

Adamantean words made me shiver.

They were forthright and strong,

And that Ant Music song

Made my heartbeat skip, flutter, and quiver.
  • Reply 33 of 70
  • Reply 34 of 70
    I have read your Australianism limerick. To wit:

A bonza thing happened today.

An ocker, ?e told me g?day.

That fair dinkum bloke,

?E winked as ?e spoke

In Australianism parlay.

bonza = good

ocker = a slang speaking Australian

g'day = hello

fair dinkum = good

There are some problems here. Firstly, you use "Australianism" in the last line as an adjective. It is a noun.

Your definition of "ocker" is really a bit wide of the mark. I refer you to the (somewhat limted) Australian National Dictionary Centre and the Macquarie Dictionary's Book of Slang. I recommend the Macquarie as the best reference. This is their definition of "ocker":

ocker1

noun 1._the archetypal uncultivated Australian working man. 2._a boorish, uncouth, chauvinistic Australian. 3._an Australian male displaying qualities considered to be typically Australian, as good humour, helpfulness, and resourcefulness. --adjective 4._relating to an ocker. 5._distinctively Australian: an ocker sense of humour. [a nickname of Oscar, used by a character played by Ron Frazer in the television program The Mavis Bramston Show (1965-68 )]

If you are familiar (and you're probably not) with the film The Adventures of Barry McKenzie, it portrayed the quintessential "ocker".

Your definition of "fair dinkum" is flat out wrong. It means true, real, genuine. Again from the Macquarie

fair dinkum

adjective 1._true; genuine; dinkum: Are you fair dinkum? --interjection 2._ Also, fair dink, fair dinks. (an assertion of truth or genuineness): It's true, mate, fair dinkum. [from British dialect (North Lincolnshire), from dinkum hard work]

IMHO the concept/word that you really needed to work into this limerick is "Strine", specifically the Macquarie's second definition:

Strine

noun 1._the form of Australian English which appeared in the books of Alastair Morrison, pen-name `Afferbeck Lauder' (that is, `alphabetical order'), where it was written in a form meant to represent broad pronunciation, but with spelt with shifted word boundaries so as to give the impression that other words were being used, as in Gloria Soame for glorious home; laze and gem for ladies and gentlemen; muncer go for months ago; sly drool for slide rule; and (the most renowned and oft quoted example) Emma Chisit for how much is it? 2._Australian English: He wouldn't know what a dunny is, he doesn't talk Strine! [the Strine rendering of Australian, used in the title of Morrison's first book `Let Stalk Strine' (i.e. Let's talk Australian) 1965]

There's also a great opportunity here to use rhyming slang. Inherited from Cockney English, examples include:

The frog 'n' toad - the road. eg. It's time I hit the frog 'n' toad.

A Captain's Cook - a look eg. I'll take a Captain's Cook.

Bowl of fruit - suit eg. That's a nice bowl of fruit you've got on.

Joe Blake - a snake eg. He was bitten by a Joe Blake.

Often these are shortened to the first word eg. I'll take a Captain's. Rhyming slang is dying out but still continues to be invented by the prison population who use it as a means to communicate without the screws (prison officers) understanding what they're saying. Wikipedia also has quite a good article for the uninitiated.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

They've opened up AU and AV...

My second effort in the AU category:

Autogamy doesn?t much need

Two plants for producing a seed.

It?s fertilization

By plant masturbation

Thank God that?s not how humans breed.

that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love you!
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

Thanks Chest. Apart from the short, unclear defs in the AN, how's the limerick? I don't have a problem with the last line, as I know it's a noun. I see "Australianism parlay" as an acceptable form of colloquialism, in the same sense as one might say, for instance, "Bushspeak" (Bush being a noun).

I've also hear that the term "Strine" is a British creation. Regardless of that debate, as I believe the definition and limerick stand as they are, I don't think it really needs anything more.

I see you've learned a thing or two from Meg.

Tonton, try reciting that effort in an Australian drinking establishment, and I'm sure you'll learn a lesson you'll never forget.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Told ya, tonton.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Of course, you realise that we don't all sound like C.J.Dennis, right?

Speaking of C.J.Dennis, this should really have been our national anthem (couldn't find the original version, so you'll have to deal with the WWI version)
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Of course, you realise that we don't all sound like C.J.Dennis, right?

Speaking of C.J.Dennis, this should really have been our national anthem (couldn't find the original version, so you'll have to deal with the WWI version)

Oh god staphy you've just reminded me of something I haven't thought about in ages. This poem appeared in a book of bush poetry my folks had when I was a kid. I thought the recurring line (the last in the following excerpt) was hilarious.

Quote:

?Howya bloody been, ya drongo, haven?t seen ya for a week,

And yer mate was lookin? for ya when ya come in from the creek.

?E was lookin? up at Ryan?s, and around at bloody Joe?s,

And even at the Royal, where ?e bloody never goes.?

And the other bloke says ?Seen ?im? Owed ?im half a bloody quid.

Forgot to give it back to him, but now I bloody did -

Could?ve used the thing me bloody self. Been off the bloody booze,

Up at Tumba-bloody-rumba shootin? kanga-bloody-roos.?

I never forgot that line. Many, many years later, Tumba-bloody-rumba was the backdrop for what was probably the weirdest (but most wonderful) night of my life. But that's another story. Anyway, I can't help but wonder if O'Grady (aka Nino Culotta) was inspired by The Austra-laise.

Got something for you staphy. Something special to go with CJ's words. (Ironically, my first thought when I read tonton's limerick was "oh christ, he thinks we still talk like The Sentimental Bloke") A sound sample! But not just any sound sample. This is the the original music composed by Albert Arlen. Check Box 21 (and Box 20 while you're at it - as a side note, that's pretty interesting). The Austra-laise is (one of) the regimental marches of the 7th Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment. I sang it. I expect you to also. With gusto, please.

tonton, just to explain, The Crocodile Man or Hunter or whatever he calls himself, was famous OS before we ever heard of him. Basically, we think he's a bit of a git. And I've never heard of Outback Jack. Hopefully, that's the way it will stay. Instead, we have Russell Coight, a comedic send-up of the crap we palm off to you poor suckers. We're not stupid, you know.

Anyway, here's something for you to get your teeth into tonton. See how you go understanding this. He even uses "fair dinkum" (correctly). I don't know if you've tried to platypus lately but I've seen a cockatoo in my time.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

Yeah. Try reciting any poetry in Canberra and I bet you're asking for it.

Anyway, my effort is still in the workshopping stage.

But lately we've been having an eerily similar treatment repeated on the "telly" advertising the latest reality TV abomination, "Outback Jack".

I assure you I wrote my limerick well before I saw the TV ad, and before I was even aware that there was such a show.

Anyway, the ad has an Austrailan accented fellow describing the show using terms like "fair dinkum bloke" as well as "sheilas" and "back of Bourke" etc. And as the terms were spoken, a short definition was flashed on screen:

"Fair Dinkum = Genuine" etc.

I think someone stole my idea, dammit.

Wow. Outback Jack... That is at least six months old, more like nine months...

I am sorry tonton, but is everything in Hong Kong that delayed?