How Do I Get A Traditional Phone Sound On My Cell?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I used to have a SE T610 phone that had a regular ringing phone sound on it, and I'd like to get a ringer like that on my new Sprint PCS phone (Samsung A660). I would also not like to pay for it.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I nabbed it from my friends' T610 via bluetooth. Do you have bluetooth on your computer? If so you could copy from the T610 to the computer to your Samsung (I assume it has BT), if you can't access both phones at once.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I nabbed it from my friends' T610 via bluetooth. Do you have bluetooth on your computer? If so you could copy from the T610 to the computer to your Samsung (I assume it has BT), if you can't access both phones at once.

No, the Samsung doesn't have bluetooth, but I do have bluetooth on my computer. I could get the sound off...but then how do I get it onto my samsung?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Look here.

Forth post down is one you can download.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Look here.

Forth post down is one you can download.

no longer available.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    OK, I've got a .mmf of the sound I want. How do I get it on the phone? Uploading it to my .Mac account wouldn't let me access it from the phone's browser.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Check this thread, 2nd page.

Looks pretty involved. There has to be an easier way.

Do you have the data cable?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Check this thread, 2nd page.

Looks pretty involved. There has to be an easier way.

Do you have the data cable?

no data cable.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The only thing I can suggest is checking the PCS Vision downloads and seeing if they have a similar ringtone.

Look at page 120 of the A660 manual:

Quote:

With PCS Vision and your new PCS Vision Phone, you have access to a dynamic variety of Premium Service content such as downloadable Games, Ringers, Screen Savers, and other applications. The basic steps required to access and download Premium Service content are outlined below.

Check to see what ringers are available.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

OK, I've got a .mmf of the sound I want. How do I get it on the phone? Uploading it to my .Mac account wouldn't let me access it from the phone's browser.

If you put it in the Sites folder, can you access the file by putting in the address for the midi file straight away? (Sorry if this it what you have already tried.)
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

The only thing I can suggest is checking the PCS Vision downloads and seeing if they have a similar ringtone.

Look at page 120 of the A660 manual:

Check to see what ringers are available.

That's the thing; I don't want to have to pay for it every month.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

If you put it in the Sites folder, can you access the file by putting in the address for the midi file straight away? (Sorry if this it what you have already tried.)

That's what I tried. Apparently, the regular install of Apache doesn't know what to do with files like this.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

That's the thing; I don't want to have to pay for it every month.

Why would you have to pay for it every month? You can't buy ringtones with a one time charge from your cell provider?

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Why would you have to pay for it every month? You can't buy ringtones with a one time charge from your cell provider?

Nick

Sprint offers them for 90 days.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Another option is to register at 3G Upload.com, send the Old Phone ringtone to your 3G Locker, then get the things in your locker to show up on your phone.

There are many other sites that do this type of thing.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Another option is to register at 3G Upload.com, send the Old Phone ringtone to your 3G Locker, then get the things in your locker to show up on your phone.

There are many other sites that do this type of thing.

That did the trick. Now my phone sounds like I want it to. Thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

No, the Samsung doesn't have bluetooth, but I do have bluetooth on my computer. I could get the sound off...but then how do I get it onto my samsung?

If you just signed a contract with sprint, and your sales rep knew what they were doing You should have vision free for 2 months - thus you can get something off the ringtones on the sprint network or find a websight that sells them and will text it to you. you can also get it off of your PC if it is compatible, get a link cable, for this go to a sprint store or a RadioShack.

In my experiance with that handset, there is a bell, or traditional ringtone of some kind built in.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Also, as an after-thought (sorry I forgot about this), go to Sony Ericsson's wap website which can be accessed on your phone with www.sonyericsson.com, it asks for your phone model, enter T610 and your country. Then on the next page click sounds and you should be able to find Old Phone as well as any standard sounds from any SE phone (by changing the phone model)

I have done this on my K700, I'm not sure if the site checks the phone maker or anything like that though. It's "free" to download, just the cost of the data download.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

Sprint has a nasty price scheme,

part a: You either pay an outragious per kilobyte charge or you pay 15$ per month for "vision" which is a f***ing ripoff, verizon has moble web for like 5$ and the kilobyte charge is included in the ringtone cost even if you dont have moble web.

part b: the $2.49 ringtones expire every 3 months.

so basicly, sprint is IMHO a ripoff, I only signed with them because everyone else wanted huge security deposits.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you just signed a contract with sprint, and your sales rep knew what they were doing You should have vision free for 2 months - thus you can get something off the ringtones on the sprint network or find a websight that sells them and will text it to you. you can also get it off of your PC if it is compatible, get a link cable, for this go to a sprint store or a RadioShack.

In my experiance with that handset, there is a bell, or traditional ringtone of some kind built in.

Considering the trouble we're STILL having with these two phones we got in October, my guess is that the guys at Radio Shack didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, my phone had nothing close to this ring, which is the one I wanted and now have.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Considering the trouble we're STILL having with these two phones we got in October, my guess is that the guys at Radio Shack didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, my phone had nothing close to this ring, which is the one I wanted and now have.

wow, they didnt show you the much better vga 1000 or the toshiba 4050? that is sick.