What are the first things I should do when I get my G5?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a Mac virgin.

I have used PC's all my life.

And I will soon be the proud owner of a dual 1.8 G5.

When I fire up my baby....what are the first things I should do?

With a windows machine, you want to get the latest drivers out and applications.

I know to download Firefox and Safari....

But other than that...I will probably just be trying to get used to the thing.

Any tips of what I should make sure I take care of the first day?

Also, what are the best dock modifiers and toolbar modifiers out there?

I like to highly modify the look of my computers so they are not generic...a lot of us are like that.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    The first thing you need to do is ENJOY YOUR COMPUTER.

You will not need to download iApps such as Safari since it will be pre-installed along with a plethora of other applications.

You will find that you'll not need to do much. I set up my new G5 the other day, and all I did was hook my Powerbook up via Firewire and transfer some files and documents and then setup my network etc.

Setting up a new Apple computer no matter which model it is, is very painless and takes very little time at all. I actually find the whole process too easy and quite enjoyable. Even just dealing with the boxes and stuff can be cool because Apples packaging is kinda neat too, when compared to other PCs etc.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    kabzkabz Posts: 53member
    will OSX 10.3.7 already be installed though?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    update your apps (with software update), then ....uh.... use it.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    NOOO!

Its too EASY!

arghh
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabz

NOOO!

Its too EASY!

arghh

Yep... it's supposed to be

Just enjoy the experience!

If you have a digital camera or pics put them on iPhoto... if you have a digital video camera or footage play around with iMovie... rip some CDs into iTunes etc. etc.

Check out these sites for cool apps...

Apple

VersionTracker MacUpdate
  • Reply 6 of 23
    alright thanks....
  • Reply 7 of 23
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If you like to modify the "look" of your machine, check out this company's lines, especially shapeshifter...

http://www.unsanity.com/products/

--B
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Hug it. And tell it you love it.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Getting a brand spanking new Apple goody is the best thing in the world after sex. By the time you've set it up, you will have already spent a considerable amount of time marveling at how lovingly and thoughtfully it's been packaged (I kid you not).

Then you'll turn it on and it will go through its "Hello, aren't I gorgeous?" routine and you'll be blown away. One of my Macs tells me "I'm a fabulous computer, yes I am, yes I am" on a regular basis! You know, just in case I forget or start taking it for granted.

Then, if you're a complete Apple virgin, you'll rush out and by an iPod.

As has been said, all you need to do is download any updates that have been released since you ordered.

Now I'm jealous. I want a new thingy to be sullied by!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If you like to modify the "look" of your machine, check out this company's lines, especially shapeshifter...

http://www.unsanity.com/products/

--B

thats a great link!

Too bad I have to pay for the full program..but maybe some are worth it.

I will most definitely hug it when it arrives.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    another good few links.

http://www.iconfactory.com - Its worth while getting a copy of Candybar. It doesn't cost too much at all. Like a few dollars at most.

http://www.serenescreen.com - There wonderful screensaver is worth the small fee.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    begin placing candles around, hold incense in your hand and begin bowing. *Optional* Have a gong going off in the background.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    so.....wait

If I have a bunch of *.ico and *.png dock icons....I can't just go ahead and change them?

I have to use some program (that I have to buy!)

I must try and find a bit torrent site with it
  • Reply 13 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

begin placing candles around, hold incense in your hand and begin bowing. *Optional* Have a gong going off in the background.

Somehow you hardcore mac guys get a little carried away, almost like if you could you would have sex with your g5...maybe it is possible...somehow...
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Getting a brand spanking new Apple goody is the best thing in the world after sex.

I am sorry but that is simply not true chester. A good long pee after holding for hours is the best thing in the world after sex (maybe only for men, but hey we count for something)...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

NOOO!

Its too EASY!

arghh

Well, if you REALLLLYY need something to do, you can verify and repair your hard drives permissions using disk utility, after you've installed your software.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

NOOO!

Its too EASY!

arghh

It might be a good idea for you to attend one of the free Saturday morning " Getting Started " classes at your local Apple Store.

As you get aquainted with your machine, notice how

and where everything is located.

Do not try to set up your files or desktop like a Windows machine,

Everything on your hard drive is organized into 4 master folders.

Applications

Library

System

Users

The contents of your personal desktop, preferences, files and settings will always be stored in your

USER/Home folder.

Your primary and most often used Application shortcuts stay in your dock.

While OSX is quite secure, I would recommend

"Intego NetBarrier" for your personal software firewall.

OSX virus attacks are rare, but I would also consider

Intego Virus Barrier.

Another very popular mini firewall is Lil Snitch ( google it )

You are going to love your new machine!!!!

Welcome to the Mac community

<">
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Somehow you hardcore mac guys get a little carried away, almost like if you could you would have sex with your g5...maybe it is possible...somehow...

I'm just kidding! I'm no where that obsessed!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    thanks for explaining the master folder thing.

These are the little things I would love to know without having to struggle to figure out.

Good point.

I of course know about the dock, because I had a dock application on my windows machine...I am using dock right now on windows and I don't believe in icons on the desktop
  • Reply 19 of 23
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

thanks for explaining the master folder thing.

These are the little things I would love to know without having to struggle to figure out.

Good point.

I of course know about the dock, because I had a dock application on my windows machine...I am using dock right now on windows and I don't believe in icons on the desktop

LOL that's sort of an insult that windows dock is okay, but it's no OS X dock
  • Reply 20 of 23
    it was the closest thing I could get...lay off me!