OMFG!!! all I can say is WOW!

Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I want one...no .. two!
  • Reply 2 of 57
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I think the Mac mini is really cool looking but I have a few problems with what apple is doing. First more RAM should be included otherwise it is going to seem to slow and apple should stick at least 64MB video memory in a modern computer.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I think the Mac mini is really cool looking but I have a few problems with what apple is doing. First more RAM should be included otherwise it is going to seem to slow and apple should stick at least 64MB video memory in a modern computer.

Hmm let's complain about a $499 machine when in my lifetime i never would have thought Apple would do it. 512 is 75 more. It's not meant to play video games so the video card is fine. I have no complaints and bought one as a second net surfing,email, word processing machine. Yummy is all i can say!!!
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Hmm let's complain about a $499 machine when in my lifetime i never would have thought Apple would do it. 512 is 75 more. It's not meant to play video games so the video card is fine. I have no complaints and bought one as a second net surfing,email, word processing machine. Yummy is all i can say!!!

Yummy indeed! This machine is the answer to all those who say that Macs are too expensive... not anymore!

Apple have just had another 1984
  • Reply 5 of 57
    "Could not open the page ?http://registration.euro.apple.com/c...optionuk.cgi? because the network connection was reset. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy."

Store is reeaally busy... Damn!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    znalgznalg Posts: 13member
    Mine is on the way! I ordered the faster of the two and, you know, I am having flashbacks to 1984. I've been waiting for this (headless) one for several years. Well done Apple!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Oh wow. I am impressed. Very. The only thing I could ask for is at least an optical out. I bet many people will want to use it with their home theater setups or at least as a media center. I am a bit surprised that Apple went for something without a keyboard or mouse, but I am not complaining. This has switcher written all over it. Especially pointing out that you can use a two button mouse with it. On second thought, I think it will help people realize that you don't have to use a single button mouse. The one question I have is does it use a full size harddrive, or is it a laptop harddrive? I want one if you can use a full sized drive in it, but my suspicion is that it is a 2.5" deal. This will not keep me from buying one, but for college I would love to have this alongside my laptop so I can access my FULL iTunes library from anywhere on campus where we have wireless and for storage and backups. Does anyone know what this has? I would think it is full size because of the 100 dollar price difference between the two models. 80 gig laptop drives are still pretty expensive. Way to go Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 57
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    File server, NAS, a PVR, dedicated web/bittorent/(insert network app here) server, Game server, networked DVD archive, house-wide MP3 archive...

In the kitchen, in/under/behind a desk, home theater system, bookshelf, under the bed next to stereo...

The mythical ultimate home network system is no longer a fantasy. Total convergence anywhere, anytime. The possibilities are endless. Best of all, its in my price range!

Oh, I bet one could fit in the glove compartment in my car. I'd have to add vents but...
  • Reply 9 of 57
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    No digital audio out? I'm surprised they didn't use the same connector as on the AirPort Express to handle audio out. You could use the Mac-mini as a DVD player, except for that. And with QT about to support lots of channels, there's got to be a way to get those channels to your multi-speaker system.

From the few photos I've seen, it looks REALLY small. I forsee peripherals disigned to stack underneath it - USB hubs, hard drives, optical drives, etc. Sweet.

Now if only Kensington would come out with a Bluetooth based trackball!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Cool computer... I guess we're getting into the age of throw-away computers now. As soon as you want to upgrade it you buy a new one and throw away the old.

Not really targetted to me so I can't say much more than that. Good for those who want to surf, play the odd game, and word processing I guess.

By the way, someone's gotta say "Cube Reborn!".
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Well done Apple!

An extraordinary achievement in design and affordability... this little Mac should sell in its millions!

Many prayers from the Apple faithful have been answered today
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Question:

Is Apple back in bed with Moto for the G4 CPU? Or is it IBM's G4?

Retail idea:

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces a deal with Target or Best Buy. Apple can rent a tiny spot on the end of an isle and have enough room to sell (and display) an entire "system". These little guys will be great for small stores, etc. Lots of these can fit in a back room. If Apple does make a retial move/partnership, they won't do it until the huge inital web-based (and Apple store) rush dies down.

Answers:

Yes, the HD is a 3.5" ATA drive.

Yes, it has DVI out.

Yes, the RAM is standard PC DDR333.

Yes, the case is mostly anodized metal.

Notice the "power brick"? Hmmm...
  • Reply 13 of 57
    I love it - but for this:

5. Memory upgrade must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/specs.html
  • Reply 14 of 57
    What's the deal with using a Windows keyboard on a Mac. Obviously the USB connector is the same but what about Control, Alt, Command vs. Control, Windows, Alt? Or those other weird keys that jump around? Wasn't some foreigner complaining the other day about how it would be easier for switchers if the Mac keys were in different places?

Seems a bit pragmatic for Apple, do you think they'll give you stickers with the sign for a Swedish Campground?
  • Reply 15 of 57
    I am overall happy with this box. I just wish that Apple would put a little more RAM in it standard so it can make the best possible impression on switchers. Also...only 1 RAM slot so u need to toss your RAM if you upgrade later.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Oh wow. I am impressed. Very. The only thing I could ask for is at least an optical out. I bet many people will want to use it with their home theater setups or at least as a media center.

That's the one thing that may keep me from buying one. Is there a firewire-to-toslink converter out there, anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

No digital audio out? I'm surprised they didn't use the same connector as on the AirPort Express to handle audio out. You could use the Mac-mini as a DVD player, except for that.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Add a bluetooth and a wireless mouse, and you can use DVD Player from your couch, w/o a remote...
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

What's the deal with using a Windows keyboard on a Mac. Obviously the USB connector is the same but what about Control, Alt, Command vs. Control, Windows, Alt?

I use a PS/2 Microsoft Internet keyboard and a PS/2-USB adapter like this [sitecom.com], which is about $20USD. I'd imagine that these sort of devices will sell like hotcakes.

The ctrl-alt vs option-apple reverse thing is an annoyance, but software like DoubleCommand [doublecommand.sourceforge.net] gets around it fine. I would be interested in some keyboard customisation tools, to map some of the whackier kets on PC keyboards to useful mac functions (like eject, say....).

As for the HD, anyone seen confirmation that it's a 3.5" mechanism? My fingers are crossed, but looking at this photo of the interior vs the size of the DDR ram stick makes me think it has to be a 2.5" laptop drive.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by highbrow

The ctrl-alt vs option-apple reverse thing is an annoyance, but ...

Everyone just remember that the average "switcher" who'll buy this machine won't know the difference in the keys flip-flopping, and isn't likely to use a lot of key commands anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah no kidding. What about the Windows key though. LOL it should trigger the Apple menu.

Man this thing is HOT. Only thing is, should be 512 RAM in the 1.42 top end model. That's all. Other than that it is PERFECT. I'm really impressed how small it is! I might get one, the next time it is updated! I was thinking maybe the next iMac, but hell, I think I'm going with this cuz..I'm poor!