Macworld: Apple introduces iPod shuffle

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today introduced iPod shuffle, a digital music player based on iPod?s shuffle feature which lets users experience their music in a million different ways.

Smaller and lighter than a pack of gum, iPod shuffle comes with its own lanyard so it?s ready to wear right out of the box. iPod shuffle works seamlessly with iTunes? AutoFill feature which automatically selects songs from a user?s music library to fill up iPod shuffle with just one click. iPod shuffle is the most affordable iPod ever and is available in two models: 512MB holding up to 120 songs for just $99 and 1GB holding up to 240 songs for just $149.

"iPod shuffle is smaller and lighter than a pack of gum and costs less than $100," said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. "With most flash-memory music players users must use tiny displays and complicated controls to find their music; with iPod shuffle you just relax and it serves up new combinations of your music every time you listen.?

iPod shuffle is based on iPod's widely-used shuffle feature, which randomly selects songs from the user's music library or playlists. In addition, iPod shuffle works seamlessly with iTunes and its new patent-pending AutoFill feature, which automatically selects the perfect number of songs to fill iPod shuffle from a user?s complete music library on their computer. And at any time, with a flip of a switch on the back of iPod shuffle, users can choose to listen to their music in order rather than shuffled, ideal for listening to a favorite new album.

Users can conveniently charge and transfer music from their Mac or PC by plugging iPod shuffle directly into a USB port. iPod shuffle doubles as a portable USB flash drive with up to 1GB of storage space to back up personal files and exchange them between computers.

iPod shuffle is the newest member of Apple?s wildly popular iPod family for both Mac and PC which includes the fourth generation iPod, the iPod mini, the iPod U2 Special Edition and iPod photo. More than 10 million iPods have been sold since it was introduced, and it is the number one selling digital music player in the world.

The popularity of iPod has also created a booming accessory market, and iPod shuffle is being introduced with several optional accessories. In addition to the included lanyard, there is an optional armband that makes iPod shuffle perfect for many athletic activities. An optional sport case keeps iPod shuffle safely protected from outdoor elements with its clear case and neck strap. An optional dock serves as a convenient home base for syncing and charging iPod shuffle, and an optional USB power adapter easily charges iPod shuffle when it?s away from the computer by simply plugging it into any electrical outlet. Users can extend the iPod shuffle battery life (up to 12 hours) with an optional battery pack that holds two AAA batteries and keeps the music playing for up to 20 additional hours.

Pricing & Availability

The 512MB and 1GB models of iPod shuffle for Mac or Windows are now shipping for a suggested retail price of $99 (US) and $149 (US) respectively, and include earbud headphones, lanyard and a CD with iTunes 4.7.1 for Mac and Windows computers. The iPod shuffle arm band, sport case, battery pack, dock and USB power adaptor optional accessories will become available over the next few weeks for a suggested retail price of $29 (US) each.

iPod shuffle requires a Mac with a USB port and Mac OS X version 10.2.8 or Mac OS X version 10.3.4 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB port, or a USB card and Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows XP Home or Professional Service Pack 4 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Sweet! Have a 40gb and a mini, just bought the shuffle 512!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lhvide

Sweet! Have a 40gb and a mini, just bought the shuffle 512!

Gotta catch 'em all?

Or just have too much money lying around?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Wow, this thing acts as a USB drive also. So, subtract out the cost of a 512MB or 1GB USB drive, and you've got the coolest $40 MP3 player in the galaxy. <--- how's that for drama!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Definitely gotta catch em all. The 40 holds my entire collection which I only use on road trips and as my home entertainment music server. The mini I bought for everyday. I had to have the shuffle for jogging and excercise, where a display and 1,000 songs is just to much and still a bit heavy. The suffle is perfect. Make an awesome playlist and go.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Sorry, but I'd at least want a 3 line screen. But I'm still tempted.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I just bought one from the Apple Store in San Francisco. Demand is so high that there is a employee standing at the door with cartons of the 512MB model* handing them out as people walk in, and instead of asking, "Do you want one?" he's asking, "How many do you want?" The line at every cashier is at least 15 people deep, and everyone is clutching the little green package?many are buying three or four.

*The 1GB in not in stock.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm going to buy my mother an iPod ..I still can't decide on if I want to get her this or a mini.

I expect that with iTunes 5.0 we'll have good support for AAC Plus and maybe an option to on the fly compress your 128k files to like 64k for the iPod shuffle. This would double your songs without harming the audio too much. Great for someone who works out and can't discern the fidelity differences of 128 vs 64k
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Isn't there a way to switch CF cards? I have 2GB cards for my camera and it would be nice to be able to buy the $99 model and pop in my own card.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I ordered one as well, going to give it to my brother for his birthday, after I play with it of course
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I think this, though not the biggest announcement (the Mac mini is ... and Steve's off the cuff remark to "Mr Sony" about maybe working together on computers and music!!!), but it is the best executed. $99!! That's better than the forums were hoping for.

I only wish it weren't white. Why not go for copper and chrome or even the shiney red like the Scandisk one. Something that looks like a Ferrari around your neck.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now my wife too wants one of them.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I just watched the new commercial for the iPod Shuffle and really enjoyed it. Does anyone know what song was used in the ad?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    so, where's the nearest apple store to/in New England. i want one!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NateIam

I just watched the new commercial for the iPod Shuffle and really enjoyed it. Does anyone know what song was used in the ad?

Jerk it Out by Caesars. Simple answer is just grab a phrase from the song and google it with the word lyrics. That's how I usually find songs I don't recognise.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Remember how Steve said that flash players just end up in the drawer? After using my shuffle for a couple weeks I gotta say that what Jobs left unsaid is this: "which is why the flash player that we are working on is going to be so simple, so elegant, and so perfect, that the people of the world will bring our flash player with them wherever they go, just like car keys, cell phone, and a wallet. An essential acessory for your life....."