New Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anybody else think that the new toolbar buttons in mail look like a bad KDE or WindowBlinds theme?

What is Apple thinking?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I was just about to post that myself. I really hope that that isn't the new look for tiger. those toolbar icons are UGLY!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes, bad direction to move in. I hope for a change in direction. The basic problem is that the icons are much smaller and that's a Bad Thing IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I noticed it and liked it.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    You think those are worse than what's there now? At least they look like actuall buttons. I would prefer a more "pro" look, but with email programs, you really need to spoon feed the mass market. They are much better organized to.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    it would have looked fine with the regular already lovely mail icons, certainly looks like an amateur windows theme or kde hack job.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I don't think they look great. Obviously buttons, yeah, but *real* clunky-looking. Hopefully they'll tweak them.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Those do look odd. Especially when several appear to be a part of one/the same button.

Like anything else they do however, I will withhold judgement until I can see more.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    remember, we are seeing this as a small picture. When you see the app on your machine, the impression may be quite different.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    There's bigger pics and a movie up here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/mail.html. Also worth noting is the blue end caps on the menu bar have been removed.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    I posted a thread of my own about this before I came across this one. And in the wrong forum no less. If someone wants to merge the two threads that is fine with me.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=49755
  • Reply 11 of 29
    My single biggest problem with this new look is that, here again, Apple is apparently moving away from an interface standard that they and nearly everybody else is using for toolbars.

Plus I just don't like the look: the unified gradient toolbar/titlebar and brushed metal style connected toolbar buttons with an ugly theme applied.

And why aren't the buttons left-aligned with the window?

bleh!!!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

My single biggest problem with this new look is that, here again, Apple is apparently moving away from an interface standard that they and nearly everybody else is using for toolbars.

Plus I just don't like the look: the unified gradient toolbar/titlebar and brushed metal style connected toolbar buttons with an ugly theme applied.

And why aren't the buttons left-aligned with the window?

bleh!!!

They're aligned with the end of the sidebar... for some reason. Bah compare this monstrosity to how lovely mails toolbar looks in icon only mode left aligned, looks so tidy and neat.

I hope Panther mail will still work in tiger.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Why is there that akward space before the buttons on the toolbar? I certainly hope that is one of those blank spaces you can insert into the toolbar. If not? Dear god why have right-justified icons?!
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

Yeah, that is the biggest problem. I thought that this "smooth white" look was the new Aqua, but in those Tiger preview pages, Preview is still the Panther version of Aqua. I just really hope that it, for some reason, hasn't been updated with a new look.

What's weird to me about the buttons is how narrow they are, like they don't take advantage of the height of the toolbar. I think the legibility of the icons takes precedent over the button appearance, and they seem to be squished into those buttons right now. Well, this and a lot of other things have obviously changed since the earlier Tiger preivews, so considering they have several more months to tinker, let's hope they settle this stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 29

here's a close up of the buttons from the mail video on apples site.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i said it before, i'll say it again... apple needs to lock all the app teams in a big room together, and they're not allowed to leave until they agree on one standard look/organization for all their apps.

let's survey the field... brushed metal here... aqua window here... glassy toolbar icons there... toolbars at the top for every app... except iphoto and ical, which have them at the bottom. and then dashboard which breaks all the rules. even within one technology - spotlight - there isn't any consistency, with some windows getting the circular spotlight (system prefs), while others using the toolbar and whittled-down list effect. edit: and don't give me the old "lifestyle apps are brushed" excuse... now it's just a "hey, i bet that window would look really cool in brushed metal" philosophy. you would think this playing loose with visual consistency would allow them to permit skinning apps like the finder and itunes and such, but i guess that's what they're relying on dashboard widgets to accomplish ("want your own skin for something? just make a cool widget front-end and query all the data behind the scenes." the upshot of that is you get all the customizing you want, while keeping it all encapsulated in the dashboard "bubble" and leaving apple's apps alone.)

you ever get the feeling that steve just makes the rounds every once in a while, and whatever mood strikes him when he was visiting the iphoto team versus the dashboard team is what we see? i've had execs like that. and eventually, you stop trying to argue with them, and just try to make them shut up and leave you alone...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

Why is there that akward space before the buttons on the toolbar?

I think that space is there so the mailbox drawer can slide in and out.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    The mail drawer is now a panel internal to the main window. I think the buttons are centered on the window, but that the spotlight field is then justified right which makes the centered thing (bad idea anyway) less apparent.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Yeah the whole alignment of the toolbar buttons with the 'main window' looks stupid when the mailbox drawer is incorporated into the same window.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think that space is there so the mailbox drawer can slide in and out.

I was referring to the location of the buttons on the toolbar. Centred? Why?!