Questions Before Buying Mac Mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a PC user who's been sitting on the sidelines waiting for an affordable Mac. Now I've found one.

Before I order a Mac Mini online, I had a few questions:

1) What's the best way to back up my data on a Mac?

I was thinking of getting the harddrive split into two partitions, one for the OS and applications, the other for my data, just like I've done with my PC harddrive. I'm wondering if this is worthwhile, or the Mac way of doing things.

2) Do I have the option of partitioning my harddrive when I do a fresh install of OS X?

3) Do I get an OS X CD with the machine, or just an image restore CD?

I'm assuming that with a consumer-friendly company like Apple, it's the former, but I wanted to check.

4) Is it possible to take apart the computer and upgrade hardware manually?

I went to the Apple site and pored over the tech specs, but this wasn't clear.

5) Is there anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger and buy this thing?

I'm a PC user who's run Linux, but I've never used a Mac before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I'm a PC user who's been sitting on the sidelines waiting for an affordable Mac. Now I've found one.

Before I order a Mac Mini online, I had a few questions:

1) What's the best way to back up my data on a Mac?

The BEST way, IMO, is to get a dot-Mac account and use Apple's utility "Backup" that comes with the account to back up to iPod, external FireWire drive, CD, or DVD. You can drag and drop, but Backup is much easier.

Quote:

I was thinking of getting the harddrive split into two partitions, one for the OS and applications, the other for my data, just like I've done with my PC harddrive. I'm wondering if this is worthwhile, or the Mac way of doing things.

Mac OS X being Unix wants your Home folder to remain intact. You may run into problems separating the user Library from the System Library. I would make a separate partition for holding your Applications folder while you erase and restore another partition.

Quote:

2) Do I have the option of partitioning my harddrive when I do a fresh install of OS X?

Yep.

Quote:

3) Do I get an OS X CD with the machine, or just an image restore CD?

I'm guessing just the restore CD.

Quote:

I'm assuming that with a consumer-friendly company like Apple, it's the former, but I wanted to check.

4) Is it possible to take apart the computer and upgrade hardware manually?

Not really. It voids the warranty. BUT - you can probably install RAM and a different HD if you really want. And no, the video is NOT upgradeable. No entry level Mac ever is.

Quote:

I went to the Apple site and pored over the tech specs, but this wasn't clear.

5) Is there anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger and buy this thing?

Seriously consider getting the 512MB even though we usually don't buy RAM from Apple due to price. It might be worth calling one of the Apple Stores to see if they would install RAM that you bought third-party, or if it had to be Apple RAM ($$$).

[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 2 of 25
    The restore CD's (usually a single DVD, rather than multiple CD's) allows you to install a fresh copy of the operating system without touching your data. I have been using OS X for about 3 years now, and during that time I have _never_ needed to reinstall the operating system.

As far as partitions, I do not see any point in doing what you suggest. In fact, it will just likely complicate things, without bringing you any advantages. The HFS+ Journaled file system is very good.

Now, in the pre-OS X days (especially with the old HFS file system, rather than HFS+ Journaled that we have now), there were good reasons for partitioning your hard drive. But these are no more.

The system can be upgraded (it uses standard PC RAM, for example), but this may void your warranty. It probably won't be an issue, though (past experience).
  • Reply 3 of 25
    By the way, I plan to buy a Mac mini myself. It is going to be used for Internet (web, email, and so on), word processing and office applications (mostly Microsoft Office 2004, Keynote and Nisus Writer), creative stuff (Adobe CS, of which InDesign, Photoshop and GoLive are going to be used for the most part), and finally some video editing on occasion (iMovie, iPhoto).

The _only_ thing I will upgrade is the memory, which is going to be upgraded to 512MB or 1GB (I will upgrade it myself or get the 512MB included for $75 from Apple when I purchase). I recently upgraded my iBook from 256MB to 640MB, and the speed difference was huge, especially when running many programs at the same time. I tend to often use 10-20+ apps at the same time, not to mention I refuse to close browser windows. Ever.

What you are probably aware of is that due to the included graphics card, this machine is not suited to the latest games. So you can forget running Doom 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004 on it. That said, it will run older games like Quake 3 absolutely perfectly, even with maxed out settings. But I think that is not the point of this machine.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    1. I've never used the .Mac backup so I can't tell you how well that works. A simple option is to use a FireWire Hard Drive and buy Carbon Copy Cloner ($5 shareware). It makes a bootable mirror image of your hard drive.

Another simple option would be to burn your data files to a CD or copy them to an external drive. If the machine were to die/crash you can reload the OS/Software from the origional CDs and your files from your backup.

2. Don't bother. Partitioning the drive will be a waste of time. You can do it at the beginning of any OS X install though.

3. It will probably be a restore DVD but you are normally able to restore only the OS and customize it.

4. According to Apple, no. However, I've done it to a lot of machines Apple said you couldn't...

5. Remember you need a USB keyboard and mouse!

Enjoy!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomahawk

A simple option is to use a FireWire Hard Drive and buy Carbon Copy Cloner ($5 shareware). It makes a bootable mirror image of your hard drive.

I'll vouch for that. I just used the shareware version to move my dad from a 10 gig to an 80... (Actually, I think it was you Tomahawk that told me about it) It was literally three clicks and I had identical drives. Very slick.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    We've used it at a company I work at.

We have "clone" setup drives. If a computer is acting up or as we roll out OS X we simply clone from our portable firewire drive to the machine.

I can't begin to describe how much time it has saved us!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    this link shows the mini with the top of the case off, it's looks like it's going to be a pain in the butt to take that off without breaking it, so i would strongly suggest not trying to upgrade it yourself. I was hoping to do that as well, but even with the "experience" i have disassembling macs I would not do it to this one unless it was way out of warranty and not a machine that i cared about looking good or being usable after being "broken" into.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The BEST way, IMO, is to get a dot-Mac account and use Apple's utility "Backup" that comes with the account to back up to iPod, external FireWire drive, CD, or DVD. You can drag and drop, but Backup is much easier.

Btw, what is wrong with "drag and drop"?

And why is "Backup" easier to use than

"drag and drop"?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

The only time I've moved "my data", my Home Folder, is when the tiny 4GB drive on my old Beige G3 filled up with the OS and Applications and all I had sitting arond was a 4GB hard drive from another Beige G3. You'll have to use the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) to move your home folder and create a symbolic link to it's new location. Instructions can be found here.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Just thought I would add my 2cents to the pile:

1. .Mac backup is very easy, and you just have to decide if that feature is worth the $100 a year that Apple is going to charge you. There are other features in .Mac, but to my mind that is the one I would pay the money for (if I didn't already run a few servers of my own that I use for these purposes).

A second option for backup would be to use rsync in a cron job to backup to another computer (or drive... but another computer is a better option). If you know you need to preserve resource forks you can use the RsyncX version of rsync to back them up to another mac... but if you are new to Macs then the chance you need resource forks (primarily for MacOS 9 applications) is small, then you can use regular rsync to backup to any *nix computer (mine is to a FreeBSD server).

Note: I am only backing up my data, not a bootable image, after all, I have all the software I own either on the original CD, or the download address and the install information... If something gets so screwed up that I need a new install then there were probably problems in my last backup as well.

2. I am going to also recommend against partitioning. It is drop-dead simple, but not really helpful, and you can get yourself in trouble if you make the wrong decisions. The only reason I partition is so that I have a second partition to keep a second version of MacOS X on for development testing... depending on the timing that means that it is either one version ahead or behind of my main OS.

3. Well covered already: you have everything you need on the CD's/DVD to reinstall the OS, with or without harming/changing the data/settings. There are actually a number of levels: Format and install (with optional partitioning and disk zeroing), Clean Install (moves the system aside and puts in a new one, optionally using the same settings), and install in place (if you "accidentally" removed needed files or want to install optional components like more languages).

Apple also includes all of the installed software somehow. Sometimes it is on the same CD/DVD, but more often there is a separate "Software Restore" disk. Sometimes it has a system image, sometimes not, but if poke around in the disk a bit you will find installers for all the third party (and many Apple) applications. There are even solutions for the things that are not separate packages.

4. It seems that you will void your warrantee if you open the case. That being said the only thing you are likely to want to replace is the single RAM stick. The HD sounds like it is probably a 2.5 inch drive, and the CD/DVD drive is a slot-loading low-profile drive (not a lot of those floating around a good prices). The video chip is undoutably part of the motherboard (non-replaceable... not enough room in 2" for even mini-pci).

5. Popping for the extra RAM (installed by a technician) will probably pay off handsomely... MacOS X definitely likes more than 256MB.

Mouse and Keyboard: I would go with the Apple Keyboard (really nice) but I tend to replace my mouse with something from logitech or kensignton. Choose that according to taste (I like rechargeable, optical, 2 button+scroll wheel, wireless).

... enjoy!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you have lots of videos or music or other large files or apps, I suggest getting an external hard drive - they're cheap and extremely useful for backing up and transferring files. And the mini doesn't have a large hard drive.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I know this is a stupid question, but I can buy USB adaptors for my PS 2 mouse and keyboard?

Also will a generic USB hub do for the USB port on the Mac Mini? 2 USB ports will not be enough.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tomahawk

5. Remember you need a USB keyboard and mouse!

Enjoy!

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

I know this is a stupid question, but I can buy USB adaptors for my PS 2 mouse and keyboard?

Also will a generic USB hub do for the USB port on the Mac Mini? 2 USB ports will not be enough.

Yes, and Yes.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Btw, what is wrong with "drag and drop"?

And why is "Backup" easier to use than

"drag and drop"?

Backup knows about the file structure of OS X, and will look at the destination and if it is the .mac account, it will make a list that includes things like the iTunes playlists but not the actual library. If it is backing up to an iPod or other external disk, it will include the iPhoto Library and iTunes Music Library. But the best thing is that it knows where the prefs are, the folders in the Library that Safari needs, where the Keychains are, etc. -- all this is done for you automatically. You can add to and subtract from its list as you like.

With drag and drop, unless you make a list as you go, it's very easy to forget what you already dragged, or to forget that there is a Safari folder in the Library and others in Application Support, that Safari also needs Internet Plug-ins in the Library, the Desktop items, etc.

The only thing it won't figure out is non-Word documents and Applications and Utilities that you added.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    PS/2 keyboards and mice will work on the Mac mini using a $20 cable from Belkin that takes up only one USB port and has both the PS/2 mouse/keyboard connectors on it. (I use it with a standard PS/2 KVM switch on my iBook and it works great.)

It's too bad Apple didn't include the PS/2 adaptor in the box since it's obvious the Mac mini is built with PC switchers in mind...but multiply the cost of that adapter times millions of units sold, and I understand their logic. Maybe they will be selling the PS/2 adapters on the Apple Store soon enough...
  • Reply 16 of 25
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

PS/2 keyboards and mice will work on the Mac mini using a $20 cable from Belkin that takes up only one USB port and has both the PS/2 mouse/keyboard connectors on it. (I use it with a standard PS/2 KVM switch on my iBook and it works great.)

It's too bad Apple didn't include the PS/2 adaptor in the box since it's obvious the Mac mini is built with PC switchers in mind...but multiply the cost of that adapter times millions of units sold, and I understand their logic. Maybe they will be selling the PS/2 adapters on the Apple Store soon enough...

PS2 adapters dont automatically work with USB. I have found that if a PS2 peripheral didnt include a USB adapter than it generally wont work.

Instead of paying $20 for an adapter that might work they are better off buying a Apple keyboard for $30 that has the 2 USB ports and has the command-control buttons where they are supposed to be.

A keyboard should have come standard to avoid this kind of confusion for new users.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

PS2 adapters dont automatically work with USB. I have found that if a PS2 peripheral didnt include a USB adapter than it generally wont work.

Instead of paying $20 for an adapter that might work they are better off buying a Apple keyboard for $30 that has the 2 USB ports and has the command-control buttons where they are supposed to be.

A keyboard should have come standard to avoid this kind of confusion for new users.

Note that we are not talking about the small (usually green) adapters that you find in the box with PS/2\\USB mice, we are talking about a much larger dongle. These larger devices do work %100 of the time. The smaller devices are simply a cable adapter and require explicit support for it in the device (mice only... they simply don't work for keyboards). They have no circuitry in them. The larger devices actually are a protocol bridge and do all the work.

Personally I would spend the extra money and get an Apple Keyboard because they are much better than the average fare, and with the USB hub built in you can minimize the amount of cables running to the back of the keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Note that we are not talking about the small (usually green) adapters that you find in the box with PS/2\\USB mice, we are talking about a much larger dongle. These larger devices do work %100 of the time. The smaller devices are simply a cable adapter and require explicit support for it in the device (mice only... they simply don't work for keyboards). They have no circuitry in them. The larger devices actually are a protocol bridge and do all the work.

Personally I would spend the extra money and get an Apple Keyboard because they are much better than the average fare, and with the USB hub built in you can minimize the amount of cables running to the back of the keyboard.

Thats why a keyboard should have been included with the mini
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Thats why a keyboard should have been included with the mini

I don't want to pay for a keyboard and mouse set that I don't need. I would rather have the option of deciding on my own, or using my existing keyboard and mouse. If I did want the Apple keyboard and mouse, I'd select it from the BTO menu, I believe it's only about 50 bucks.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I don't want to pay for a keyboard and mouse set that I don't need. I would rather have the option of deciding on my own, or using my existing keyboard and mouse. If I did want the Apple keyboard and mouse, I'd select it from the BTO menu, I believe it's only about 50 bucks.

So would I. But I dont think PC users want the option.

Did you guys know the hard drive is only 4200rpm? Thats dirt slow, I wonder how much it will stifle performance.