Just ordered iWork '05

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well I just put down the $113 for iWork '05 (that's how much it is with expedited shipping in Canada). I am debating iLife '05 too, but I only really use iPhoto. I play in GarageBand but I don't use iMovie or iDVD so paying $99 for it seems excessive.

[5 mins later]

Okay, I just caved and ordered iLife '05 as well. More out of curiosity than anything. I wish I could buy just the components of it I use. Oh well.

Has anyone else taken the plunge and ordered iLife or iWork?

-Y

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'm tempted, but I'm going to hold off for iWork until I see a thorough review of Pages. Assuming it's good, it's mine.

iLife '05 has some nice features but I think I might skip this one.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

Well I just put down the $113 for iWork '05 (that's how much it is with expedited shipping in Canada). I am debating iLife '05 too, but I only really use iPhoto. I play in GarageBand but I don't use iMovie or iDVD so paying $99 for it seems excessive.

[5 mins later]

Okay, I just caved and ordered iLife '05 as well. More out of curiosity than anything. I wish I could buy just the components of it I use. Oh well.

-Y

I think for what you get, iLife is really cheap, even if you just use one or two parts. Garageband has some really fun new features, even for just goofing around. You can now record your own version of teh Chipmonks sing O'Canada!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I think for what you get, iLife is really cheap, even if you just use one or two parts. Garageband has some really fun new features, even for just goofing around. You can now record your own version of teh Chipmonks sing O'Canada!

To get a decent tool like GB on the windows side, you are looking at ~$99.99 (unlesss you just hack it) and that includes next to no loops, look at it like this, you are buying GB and getting iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto for nothing, plus iTunes on cd.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I ordered iLife. It says "delivered by Jan. 22."
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

[5 mins later]

-Y

Great post. It made me laugh since I did the EXACT same thing. I bought both.

I played with both iLife and iWork at MWSF, and I strongly recommend both. They are utterly fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

I can't wait until next Friday when I get the new toys.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I asked the AppleCentre to put a copy aside for me the other day.

Pages looks good enough for at least some of my purposes ? much less of a hassle for really basic layout stuff than Indesign. I hope. I'll probably stick with Mellel for my academic word processing though.

iLife? I'll be waiting for, but I'll get eventually. No impulse purchase for me there.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

And nothing is better than songs after they've been Chipmunkified! GarageBand is worth it just for that! :P

I think iLife is worth it even for just those two apps. Comparitively speaking most software is more expensive. But my price comparisson structure is skewed since I keep paying for each version of Adobe Photoshop!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    BWhaler,

Why not a little review of Pages?

What did you like? Not like?

Did you try to import a Page document into Keynote?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I ordered it after the keynote. With the .edu discount, iWork is pretty damned cheap.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Didn't you guys already have iLife to begin with when you bought your Mac? Or were you upgrating to the 2005 edition?
  • Reply 11 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

Didn't you guys already have iLife to begin with when you bought your Mac? Or were you upgrating to the 2005 edition?

I bought iLife '04 to get GarageBand. I'll buy '05 to get the new GarageBand.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMe

I foolishly bought my new iMac weeks before Macworld so now I have to buy iLife '05 and pay 100% for it. If I had waited a few weeks and bought the iMac on the day of the keynote I would have gotten it for free. Oh well.

-Y
  • Reply 13 of 21
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I have a general licensing question with iWork.

I have two Macs. I would like to buy one copy of iWork, install it on both, and only use one copy at a time (depending which Mac I am using). Is this allowed.

I know some software companies allow this and some do not. I don't know Apple's stance.

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I have a general licensing question with iWork.

I have two Macs. I would like to buy one copy of iWork, install it on both, and only use one copy at a time (depending which Mac I am using). Is this allowed.

I know some software companies allow this and some do not. I don't know Apple's stance.

Thanks

officially the answer is no. But there is nothing stopping you but your conscience, sinner.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

officially the answer is no. But there is nothing stopping you but your conscience, sinner.

I always do this when I have one program and two computers and I don't feel that guilty about it. Maybe I should, but I don't. My thinking is: If I buy it I should be able to use it on as many computers as I own at home.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but so far only Office only checks to see if I'm doing that. Even then my only limitation is that I can't run two copies simultaneously, which I rarely do.

-Y
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I can see how Apple markets iWork as "Building a successor to AppleWorks".

iWork isn't as complete as AppleWorks is in bundles applications and Apple knows this. But it is a work in progress. First came Keynote, and now Pages. I expect the next step to release a spreadsheet app called Sheets or Cells.

Yeah it would have been great if they released a spreadsheet app this year and maybe made Pages a little more Word competative, but these apps are still pretty new. Apple has time to upgrade them and add new features. But in my opinion, Pages and Keynote is a pretty damn good start. The apps both look great and seem to be a whole lot easier to use (which I place more importance on than bundled features) than Office equivalents.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I can see how Apple markets iWork as "Building a successor to AppleWorks".

iWork isn't as complete as AppleWorks is in bundles applications and Apple knows this. But it is a work in progress. First came Keynote, and now Pages. I expect the next step to release a spreadsheet app called Sheets or Cells.

Yeah it would have been great if they released a spreadsheet app this year and maybe made Pages a little more Word competative, but these apps are still pretty new. Apple has time to upgrade them and add new features. But in my opinion, Pages and Keynote is a pretty damn good start. The apps both look great and seem to be a whole lot easier to use (which I place more importance on than bundled features) than Office equivalents.

It does make sense on Apple's part to do this though. Rather than having two finished applications sitting there not being released to the public until the other components (Excel replacement, Access replacement etc.) they release them as a work in progress which lets Apple do a few things:

*Guage initial customer reaction to new features, interface changes etc.

*Establish a user base who will be more likely to buy the other two (or however many there end up being) components to this Appleworks successor.

This makes sense to me.

P. S. I found a copy of iWork 05 on the Internet (wait, before you start screaming at me, read on), having ordered my copy already I downloaded it just to play around with it until me legitimate boxed copy arrives. I haven't installed it yet, but I may (my copy is due to arrive on the 28th). I'm hesitant to install seedy back-ends-of-the-internet BitTorrent-acquired software. But I might just get so curious as to do it. If/when I do, I'll post any comments I have about it. But will Apple sue me if I do? Normally I'd be kidding asking something about that, but in these times who knows...?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    will iWork or iLife05 be bundled with tiger?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

will iWork or iLife05 be bundled with tiger?

I doubt it. Apple likes making $$$ on updates to this software so I seriously doubt it will be included.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

I doubt it. Apple likes making $$$ on updates to this software so I seriously doubt it will be included.

thats what i thought. thanks.