"Mother of all challenges" for G5 Powerbook

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 25
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mawsdz

    My thought is that they will deliver with a new PB design, initially using the dual core G4 processors. After they can engineer new variants or figure out how to cool the current G5, they will come out with a rev that has the G5 in it.



    what do you think?




    I like that idea, but the dual core G4s aren't going to be ready for awhile. Apple's got to do some update NOW. It's been a billion months! They've got to have something they can do to upgrade the PowerBook. Freescale must have been able to get somewhere in all those months... right? They really should be able to get at least a 200Mhz bus. Seriously guys, how hard is it to up a bus 33mhz? With how choked the G4 is an extra 33mhz would make a significant difference.



    People keep saying this around here but a 1MB L2 cache and a DDR Bus would make the G4 a great mobile chip and one quite able to compete with the centrino. Is freescale just as bad as motorola? It's looking that way.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mawsdz

    My thought is that they will deliver with a new PB design, initially using the dual core G4 processors. After they can engineer new variants or figure out how to cool the current G5, they will come out with a rev that has the G5 in it.



    what do you think?




    I think I'd rather have a dual core g4 than a single g5 chip.



    I don't understand why they can't do dual cpu (not dual core) processors in the powerbook. I"d much much much much rather have that than a single cpu. Call me crazy.



    -------------



    Freescale really didn't become its own branch until about 8 months ago? Give them a chance. The g4 didn't have a whole lot of room to grow when they got it. You'll see a 1.67ghz powerbook in another week or so.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    I don't understand why they can't do dual cpu (not dual core) processors in the powerbook. I"d much much much much rather have that than a single cpu. Call me crazy.





    wouldnt dual cpu kill battery life, and create _too_ much heat.. who need dual cpus in a laptop?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

    Originally posted by theSutex

    wouldnt dual cpu kill battery life, and create _too_ much heat.. who need dual cpus in a laptop?



    YOur right it would take a lot more power and be much hotter. As to your question about who would need dual cpus in a laptop, anyone who wants a faster powerbook which seems to be just about everyone.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    With the current chips I don't think heat would be that much of a deal in a dual system. They are running extremely cool. But you are right on the power consumptions......
Sign In or Register to comment.