Mac Mini Selling like iPods?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi. I have some speculation. Apple.com was selling the Mac Mini for delivery on or before January 22. In fact, some of the graphics on Apple.com still say this. However, the delivery estimate on all Mac Minis has moved from "deliver by Jan 22" to "ship in 3-4 weeks." Wow!! I bet that means the first batch is gone.



You can still pre-order iWork & iLife for delivery by jan 22, if you are interested.



Assuming the first batch is called for, how many Mac Minis have they sold?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,404member
    This machine is definitely going to sell sell sell. I know too many people that have bought one or are definitely going to buy one already! I mean that is a huge demand. I was standing in the apple store in Tigard OR yesterday and one of the employees behind the genius bar was getting sick of telling people to go to the apple website for mac minis and iPod Shuffles. Litterally he had 30 calls in 15 minutes. It was insane. The demand is huge already.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    This machine is definitely going to sell sell sell. I know too many people that have bought one or are definitely going to buy one already! I mean that is a huge demand. I was standing in the apple store in Tigard OR yesterday and one of the employees behind the genius bar was getting sick of telling people to go to the apple website for mac minis and iPod Shuffles. Litterally he had 30 calls in 15 minutes. It was insane. The demand is huge already.



    Yeah, I've got an old 400MHz NT box I'm typing this on, and an extra-old 601 PPC here (I've also got a new Aluminum Powerbook that I do most of my work on) ...



    My PowerBook goes back and forth to work with me, which means my NT box and my ancient 601 do most of my silly home stuff, since they're always plugged in. My NT box is a mini-tower, and sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and my 601 is ten years old, and soooo slow, it's barely usable (though this is a testiment to Macs, that a ten year old box is still, just, usable).



    The point is, with the Mini, I can get rid of both these pieces of trash, gain huge amounts of desk real estate, double my hard drive space (in the 80 Gig model anyway) get the vacuum noise level down 20 or so decibels, run OSX, consolidate all my files, and get a much faster processor than either of my current machines has: all for $599 (the 80 Gig model) ... it's extremely tempting!



    ( though I have to wonder how much it would cost to bump the sucker up to 1Gig of RAM, since 256Meg is word processing, surfing worthy only.)



    This little Mac is perfect for folks in my position - guys with an assortment of old machines at home, who would love to trash 'em and consolidate: cheaply.





    In my case however, since I do so much media stuff, I'm probably stuck waiting for a cheap G5 something or other to appear - damn.\
  • Reply 3 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    This little pup is the VW beetle of computing. Cheap and useful for most apps. Yea you can load out the puppy but that brings you within striking distance of the imac. This thing will sell like hotcakes. For 499 it is almost worth discarding every year or so. Everyone would like more power and features but this isn't the product for that. This is aimed squarly at the dell crowd who are afraid of computers.



    Dude you are gonna get an macmini sweet!



    They should get the old dell dude to hawk the thing. Saying this is so much sweeter than dell!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Yes, I really think this is *big* that Apple is no longer accepting orders on the initial Mac Minis, and now people must wait 3-4 weeks. Well, it is bad that they don't have enough for everyone to get the Jan 22 delivery, but at least they are selling.



    It is a shame these "numbers" are not released. Hopefully they had made a substantial number of Mac Minis. I'm sure there will be a lot sold on Jan 22, when the stores have some available too.



    The iMac sold something like 250,000 last quarter? I'd have to think that, if Apple has these Mac Minis in large quantities and can make them quickly, they could sell over 500,000 this quarter. What do you think? Apple always knew that would have to sell a lot of Mac Minis to make money, so hopefully they were prepared.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911

    The iMac sold something like 250,000 last quarter?



    You're off by not quite 100,000. The iMac sold very strongly last quarter. I'm taking it as a positive sign that Apple broke eugene's observation—that successful Mac products just change the mix, and overall sales stay around 800K—for the first time since 2000. And they broke it with a bullet, right before releasing what's looking to be a popular product.



    Not only will the Mac mini sell well, but as TednDi points out, it's cleverly set up so that once you've maxed it out, you're within shooting distance of an iMac.



    That makes the iMac look pretty tempting.



    Far from cannibalizing iMac sales, I think the mini has the potential to boost them, especially for people browsing in Apple retail stores. It will cannibalize eMac sales, but then, so has the iMac. I don't think Apple cares about that.



    Quote:

    I'd have to think that, if Apple has these Mac Minis in large quantities and can make them quickly, they could sell over 500,000 this quarter. What do you think?



    I don't know whether they'll sell like iPods, but they seem to be built like iPods, so they should be very manufacturable. Apple's probably keeping a close eye on BTO options, too, because overwhelmingly popular BTO options can justify a third model which can be efficiently mass-produced, instead of being custom-configured. BTO is relatively inefficient.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911





    . . . they could sell over 500,000 this quarter. What do you think? . . .






    The first quarter of sales should go over the 1 million mark if Apple is prepared to build that many, but then sales should pick up even more. Apple will likely sells over 6 million the first year, maybe way over.



    I'd say about 25 percent of the current OS X users will buy one within the first year, and 60 percent of those who have older Macs running OS 7, 8 and 9. Add to all that over 2 million Windows users and a whole bunch to schools and small business.



    It's about time Apple did it. What a nice change.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by snoopy

    The first quarter of sales should go over the 1 million mark if Apple is prepared to build that many, but then sales should pick up even more.



    ITYM stay over the 1 million mark. Apple sold over a million Macs last quarter.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    ... I don't know whether they'll sell like iPods, but they seem to be built like iPods, so they should be very manufacturable. Apple's probably keeping a close eye on BTO options, too, because overwhelmingly popular BTO options can justify a third model which can be efficiently mass-produced, instead of being custom-configured. BTO is relatively inefficient.



    The very design of the case both makes it hard for us to disassemble and for others to easily assemble. Previous (early) Apple products used this same "plastic prong" process and are a bitch to take apart without breaking the prongs.



    A slim nail file will work for this but it will be maddening to get all those little plastic prongs to release and stay released long enough to pull the case off the chassis. There is a special tool to handle this which will be in service departments soon no doubt. Anybody fabricating one will make a killing on eBay.



    But to the topic: I see this selling as well as the 40 Gig iPod and better than the iPod photo. We won't have proof of this since Apple always groups "iPod sales" into one category. The Mac mini will not sell more than this.



    When the Mac mini goes up on the Apple Store's "Top Sellers" list it will come at the top of the list for all computer products, but under all iPod categories.



    The actual unit sales will only be limited by Apples ability to produce them.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph





    . . . Apple's probably keeping a close eye on BTO options, too, because overwhelmingly popular BTO options can justify a third model which can be efficiently mass-produced, instead of being custom-configured. BTO is relatively inefficient.




    Like a Mac mini 512? I'm waiting for Tiger, so the 512 may be out by then. 8)
  • Reply 10 of 24
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,404member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by snoopy

    Like a Mac mini 512? I'm waiting for Tiger, so the 512 may be out by then. 8)



    Actually all the MacMini's are out for Tiger and Motion. At least for CoreImage and CoreVideo graphics card processing. The ATI 9200 doesn't have enough VRAM to qualify as a compatible card for CI, CV, and Motion. Obviously people who buy a MacMini won't work with Motion.



    So I'm baffled why apple slapped a 9200 in here right before tiger's release. Kinda weird. Just harder on the gpu I suppose. It would be nice for that to be a Nvidia 5200 though.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    ITYM stay over the 1 million mark. Apple sold over a million Macs last quarter.





    ITYM . . .



    What does that mean for us internet challenged folks? I only know IMO, BTW and a few others.



    Just so there is no misunderstanding, I was saying Mac mini sales should top the million mark each quarter. The Mac mini will outsell all other Macs combined, IMO BTW.



    EDIT:

    "Interesting that you mention?" I just figured it out.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    Actually all the MacMini's are out for Tiger and Motion. At least for CoreImage and CoreVideo graphics card processing. The ATI 9200 doesn't have enough VRAM to qualify as a compatible card for CI, CV, and Motion. Obviously people who buy a MacMini won't work with Motion.



    So I'm baffled why apple slapped a 9200 in here right before tiger's release. Kinda weird. Just harder on the gpu I suppose. It would be nice for that to be a Nvidia 5200 though.




    CoreImage and 'Video functions will work on all Macs that support 10.4. They just will not be hardware accelerated on computers without the GraphicsCard to handle them. This will effectively hamstring CoreVideo, but CoreImage apps should just run slower.



    It looks very likely that the MacMini's graphics card will not be on the supported list.



    This will mean that some of the eye-candy will not be available for the Mini's, and that they will not be the recommended platform for Apple's professional line of Video software. But that was already going to be the case due to the max of 1Gig ram and only 40 or 80 Gig drive. Anyone who is thinking of spending $500 on hardware to run $1000+ worth of software on it needs to sit down and think about how much their time is really worth.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

    CoreImage and 'Video functions will work on all Macs that support 10.4. They just will not be hardware accelerated on computers without the GraphicsCard to handle them. This will effectively hamstring CoreVideo, but CoreImage apps should just run slower.



    It looks very likely that the MacMini's graphics card will not be on the supported list.



    This will mean that some of the eye-candy will not be available for the Mini's, and that they will not be the recommended platform for Apple's professional line of Video software. But that was already going to be the case due to the max of 1Gig ram and only 40 or 80 Gig drive. Anyone who is thinking of spending $500 on hardware to run $1000+ worth of software on it needs to sit down and think about how much their time is really worth.






    The Mac Mini, while a fabulous product, is technically a headless iBook. Nobody in their right mind would buy an iBook to do CoreVideo/CoreImage/Motion work.



    This thing is for e-mail, internet, iLife, pr0n and picture-cropping.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Wow. I like how some of us are thinking the Mac Minis could outsell all other Macs combined. That would certainly be a good thing. I'm excited at the thought of more Macs being in the world.



    I wonder what the record is for the most macs ever sold in a quarter combined? Lets beat that number!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911

    Wow. I like how some of us are thinking the Mac Minis could outsell all other Macs combined. That would certainly be a good thing. I'm excited at the thought of more Macs being in the world.



    I wonder what the record is for the most macs ever sold in a quarter combined? Lets beat that number!




    The pure genius of the Mini is that Apple is selling a $499 computer and probably making a little money on the hardware.



    Not including anything with it is brilliant. How much complaining have we heard about the apple keyboard and mouse? No excuses for anyone....they can go buy their own!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by snoopy

    ITYM . . .



    I Think You Mean.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    I Think You Mean.





    Ah, thank you. And since you mentioned the total Mac sales this quarter, it hit me that if I'm correct about the Mac mini sales, Apple's market share will more than double.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by snoopy

    Ah, thank you. And since you mentioned the total Mac sales this quarter, it hit me that if I'm correct about the Mac mini sales, Apple's market share will more than double.



    i am curious how SEC and so on investor relations etc...

    Apple can get away with not disclosing full figures on the breakdown of its iPod and PowerMac, XServe actual unit numbers



    Sorry, not making sense but you get my drift

  • Reply 19 of 24
    The DigiTimes report today says they are making just 100,000 Mac Minis per month, which means 300,000 per quarter. That is certainly less than I hoped they would sell.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911

    The DigiTimes report today says they are making just 100,000 Mac Minis per month, which means 300,000 per quarter. That is certainly less than I hoped they would sell.



    Wouldn't be the first time they lowballed demand...
Sign In or Register to comment.