questions about mac mini

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Incoming

Neither. The files are played right off my server, which has a smb share that is mounted on the mini.

Maybe read-ahead buffers are not big enough?

Is there another software you suggest for playing avis?

thx!

David

Did this happen before, or just with the mini? It may be a problem with your Samba share; there are too many frames per second being displayed and the server cannot keep up at times.

Try MPlayer; its the video player in the Linux world. Its much better than VLC in OS X.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

[B]Did this happen before, or just with the mini? It may be a problem with your Samba share; there are too many frames per second being displayed and the server cannot keep up at times.

Yes, it happened before, when using wlan on the notebook (especially, when the microwave oven was activated) because of network congestion.

But the mini is connected via Fast Ethernet, and the server is able to deliver about 9MB/s which should be more than enough, if the software is able to cache a few hundred kb, which was not the case in media player 9 under xp, even tough it was configured to cache 30s of video when using wlan..

I'll try mplayer, hopefully it works better.

Other computers currently don't have the problem.

Still wondering about the key mapping..well, I do some research tomorrow, got a lot of work to do these days, so I can't enjoy my apple so much :-(

David