Apple "must" come out with either a Sky-pod or vid-pod ASAP!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

On that particular point, I agree... but saying they "must" come out with some completely new direction like video or XM is far off the mark for the foreseeable future. Infrastructure first.

Apple just needs something revolutionary to justify the high price on the top ipods other then a huge HD (that most people will never use) or more and more people will only buy the cheaper ipod-min or ipod-shuffle.

People will pay extra for features they want and at some point the "law of diminishing returns" will come into play when people will no longer pay extra for a huge HD thatthey don't fully utilize and this is why Apple needs something exciting to utilize it (storage and backup are far from exciting).
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Apple just needs something revolutionary to justify the high price on the top ipods other then a huge HD (that most people will never use)

I think you're a wee bit fixated on the "revolutionary" stuff. It's easy to ask for this stuff but give us some suggestions about what could be added that will appeal to a huge cross selection of people.

Video and XM/Sirius support would remain a niche IMO.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Apple just needs something revolutionary to justify the high price on the top ipods other then a huge HD (that most people will never use) or more and more people will only buy the cheaper ipod-min or ipod-shuffle.

People will pay extra for features they want and at some point the "law of diminishing returns" will come into play when people will no longer pay extra for a huge HD thatthey don't fully utilize and this is why Apple needs something exciting to utilize it (storage and backup are far from exciting).

I think the point here is that most people who don't need the large hard drives would have bought something smaller from the competion. Now they have an option from apple that locks them into the itms infrastructure. And a lot of people like the bigger hd (I know I do) this is not to say that they wont add features, but their model makes sense "no wine before its time"
  • Reply 24 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Speak for yourself. Wait until you have a drive failure that wipes out your research data of the day (week/month/year), and you'll think a portable always-with-you backup system is *PEACHY*. I wouldn't buy a music player that *didn't* let me use it as a general storage device.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    I just wanted to add that I don't think that video players will ever have the mass appeal that music players will have. Hand-held gaming on the other hand does. There is an emerging convergence on that front. Hand-held game console can play video, of course this is second fiddle to playing games because watching video on a really small screen sucks. I guess it works for gamming, but not video. If apple got into the had-held gaming market, then you could make an aguement for this functionality. I just don't think apple has the abily to compete with the sony and nintendo in this field. I would like more effort to be put into making the ipod more of a pda hybrid thingy, you know all the stuff you need but without all the crap you don't.

ps. if they do make an ipod video it will be mainly for showing imovies not for downloading and watching full length movies, that would suck for the time being. Maybe someday in the far far future but not anytime soon.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Hey I had a total system wipeout and all of my data

LOST!

except on my photo ipod.

all backed up nicely.

Restored!

Go Apple!

edit:

this was last week
  • Reply 27 of 28
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    A video iPod is useless for me. I like details in movies, movements, shadows, I'm a videophile so I like to observe how the camera is working and all the good stuff.

What will an iPod screen offer me? Nothing else but small little faces and tiny little hands to see. Not for me.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by timmy o'tool

I just wanted to add that I don't think that video players will ever have the mass appeal that music players will have. Hand-held gaming on the other hand does. There is an emerging convergence on that front. Hand-held game console can play video, of course this is second fiddle to playing games because watching video on a really small screen sucks. I guess it works for gamming, but not video. If apple got into the had-held gaming market, then you could make an aguement for this functionality. I just don't think apple has the abily to compete with the sony and nintendo in this field. I would like more effort to be put into making the ipod more of a pda hybrid thingy, you know all the stuff you need but without all the crap you don't.

ps. if they do make an ipod video it will be mainly for showing imovies not for downloading and watching full length movies, that would suck for the time being. Maybe someday in the far far future but not anytime soon.

Apple should make a 1gig version of their flash-based Ipod that would be designed to fit in the Gameboy Advanced and the 2nd GBA-like slot on Nintendos new DS portable as well . This would allow the Nintendo DS to be connected to either Macs or PC's to connect to itunes and play music or maybe even games .

Apple could also make a deal to sell/download Gamboy Advanced (not new DS) games through itunes as well . This way the DS could become a quasi-multimedia product that nintendo want to compete against Sony's upcoming PSP and Apple could make money selling GBA games as well as music,