RAM limits

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Wow, a lot of stupidity coursing through the veins of this thread.

Rev. A-B were nearly identical, 233MHz processor/66MHz bus, 4GB HD, 32MB RAM in the default config, and Rage graphics. 24x CDROM. Both had IRDA ports and Mezzanine slots, and two speakers on the front, contrary to what alcimedes would lead you to believe. The Rev. A had 2MB of VRAM, Mac OS 8.1, a Rage II, and a 33k modem, the changes in the Rev B were 6MB of VRAM (the Rev. A's are still upgradable to 6MB via a SGRAM slot, which is filled with a 4MB chip on the Rev. B's.) Mac OS 8.5, the Rage Pro, and the inclusion of a 56k modem.

The Rev. C dropped the IRDA slot, but didn't gain a third speaker. The video card was upgraded to a Rage Pro Turbo. Other than that, it was just a speed bump to 266MHz and the new colors. Oh, and this model dropped the Mezzanine slot, not the Rev. B.

The Rev. D was essentially the Rev. C, only speed bumped to 333MHz. Nothing else was changed.

Contrary to popular belief, the maximum amount of memory supported by Rev. A-D iMacs is 768MB. A 256MB low-profile (1.5") 144 pin SODIMM will fit in the bottom slot under the processor card, and a 512MB high-profile (2") 144 pin SODIMM will fit in the top slot. I've no idea what 512MB SODIMM does the trick, however, someone over at the Mac Mod forum at MacNN got one to work, without it using only half the RAM.

For us mere mortals, however, and those who don't want to adventurously buy RAM that may not work, 512MB is the limit.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The Rev. E "Kihei" (I don't even know if that's spelled right..."stupid" as I am ) was rolled out on October 5, 1999 at a special event.

I didn't even have to look that up...I just remember it.

Those were the new slot-loading, FireWire-equipped models (iMovie was also unveiled that day).

Three models:

- 350MHz blueberry only (CD-ROM drive, no Firewire, I think)

- 400MHz, all five fruit colors, 64MB RAM, 10GB hard drive, DVD, Firewire, etc. (I got the tangerine one a couple of months later)

- 400MHz "Special Edition" in graphite (same specs as five fruits, but with a 13GB hard drive and more RAM)

I'm 98.4% sure on all the above, although I'm sure some kind soul here will let me know if I'm one smidgen off...

All this "stupidity running through this thread", you can never be too careful...
  • Reply 23 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i stand corrected.

<a href="http://www.apple-history.com/quickgallery.html?where=imac.html"; target="_blank">history of the iMac (rev A, B)</a>
  • Reply 24 of 40
    oh, btw, for those who want to know this kind of stuff more than occasionally.

<a href="http://members.shaw.ca/mactracker/"; target="_blank">Download Mactracker</a>

it's a great little app. that has the history of every Mac model (although i don't know that is has the new PowerBooks yet)

if i'd checked my copy before opening my mouth, i'd have save myself some trouble.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    HA! Alcimedes posted the above, just as I wrote a thread saying "someone here should write all this down and post it as a FAQ here at AppleInsider...".

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>The Rev. E "Kihei" (I don't even know if that's spelled right..."stupid" as I am ) was rolled out on October 5, 1999 at a special event.

I didn't even have to look that up...I just remember it.

[snip]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dunno how to spell it either. And the only thing I looked up was the video card in the Rev. C.

Sorry for calling you all stupid, no need to turn this thread into FC. I'm just a little over-corrective sometimes.

That, and I own a Rev. B iMac, and you saying it didn't have a Mezzanine slot is like saying the Rev. A has a bigger dick.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    I was only off on that one tiny little mezzanine slot business. Being that it was pretty much an unheard-of, undocumented feature, I can be forgiven for not knowing TOO much about it.

But I nailed the hell out of the Rev. E "Kihei" info above!

That's gotta count for SOMETHING!

For some reason, the intro of those iMac models (the date, the features, etc.) has stuck with me all these years (three years now), unlike almost anything else Apple has unveiled.

Maybe because that was when the iMac became REALLY cool, and I remember how INCREDIBLE they looked with their new see-through plastics and slot-loading drives?

The tangerine iMac DV is still, IMNSHO, the snazziest-looking computer Apple has EVER put out.

I miss mine terribly.

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 40
    odd, MacTracker (the one that i linked) doesn't have the history tab. the 2.0 version does, which i found somewhere.

i e-mailed the developer, and he is actively working on the 2.0 version, so it should back shortly. i use that app. at least once a week for these types of question.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    I downloaded it and that is, indeed, a nifty little thing to have around! I LOVE it and I've had it for an hour.

• Reply 30 of 40
    All these replies ... and still no-one really knows if I can stick a 512MB chip in my 466 ibook or not.

(or the 266 iMac for that matter)

Anybody with a non-speculative answer ?

• Reply 31 of 40
    actually, what i'm seeing says a max of 512. two 256MB chips. there might be a hardware update that will allow it to recognize larger chips, but i doubt it.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 32 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>(is it 33 in the original iBook??)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, its a 66 mhz bus. I have one.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    now if you'd downloaded MacTracker, you'd know that for sure.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    As I said before, a guy in <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132942"; target="_blank">this thread</a> over at MacNN's Mac Modification forum got a 512MB module working in his tray-loading iMac.

You might want to try private emailing him for info on what kind of module to get/where to get it.

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 40
    slot loading says it tops out at 1GB. tray loading at 512MB.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    wow I didn't know I could use the mezzanine with the harmoni upgrade....

thats cool

I want to get an internal scsi adapter and use my iMac for all things retro! (including os 9)

do they still make the scsi card for the mezzanine?

right now i have 10.2.3 on it, and it works, but none of my old peripherals work with it

and i'm maxed out with 288MB of ram (32+256, im too cheap to "waste" the old 32 that came with the comp) I do believe i switched them tho so if i ever do upgrade it it will be an easy switch...

p.s. spart, you do mean tray loading, right?

I wouldn't believe this thing until i see it...

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Yes, I meant tray-loading, my bad.

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 40
    If you look on LowEndMac's [url="http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-c.shtml"] for the Rev. C iMac, it says that one reader was able to use a 512MB DIMM in his tray-loading iMac.

I'm guessing he used one made for an earlier PowerBook (as they use the same RAM) like the ones listed <a href="http://www.ramseeker.com/"; target="_blank">here</a> under PowerBook G3 (2000).

Some of those 512MB sticks are pretty cheap, I might just try and stuff 768MB of RAM into my iMac Rev. B.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't think any Mezzanine upgrades are made anymore. You might be able to find used ones, but they will probably be expensive.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Yeah, every once in a while one pops up on eBay. Which is where you're most likely to find a Game Wizard or the SCSI card.