Apple to manufacture 100,000 Mac minis a month, more...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Replying to my own post. They are indeed referring to the 2nd calendar quarter and not the fiscal quarter. Note they mention the iPod Shuffle as available now while the iBook/PowerBook G5 as Q2 so yes, it's the April/May/June timeframe for these. My guess would be WWDC.

Actually, I don't think that is the case.

These are shipments to APPLE. And Apple had the iPod shuffle in their own fiscal quarter 1. That was the reason that it was available in retail stores so soon.

Which means that this is referring to apple fiscal quarter 2.

However, similar to what happened with the shuffle, it could be stockpiled until the following quarter.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iRobot

Which means that this is referring to apple fiscal quarter 2.

I'm impressed! There are still believers out there
  • Reply 43 of 55
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    iRobot,

I hope you are right. But I think DigiTimes' reference to quarter 2 is the calendar year (April to June), and not that of Apple's fiscal year (where quarter two is already in progress). Again, fingers crossed though...

As far as PowerBook updates are concerned, here are three points to consider:

1. The shortage of PowerBook G4s at the moment seems constrained to the 15-inch model at the moment. I'd feel more confident if the channel was drying up of the 12- and 17-inch models too.

2. PowerBook G4 models are not yet EOL at the online Apple Store. When the estimated shipping time goes from same business day to 7 to 10 day business days, we'll know something's afloat.

3. I don't think we will see PowerBooks released before the Mac mini ships. I don't think they want to upstage the Mac mini's press honeymoon.

If it's a simple G4 speed bump, expect nothing more than a press release. Given our current situation, I would expect PowerBook speed bumped G4s on Tuesday, February 1st. If we are to see a PowerBook G5 (and even iBook G5), expect a special press event announcement sometime during or after the last week of January.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    yo yo yo word up people, here's a reply to my email to DigiTimes

Here's my poseur email

"Hi Sylvia,

I work for Apple Malaysia and wanted to contact you regarding David Tzeng and Steve Shen's article on Apple to be shipping what is listed as iBook G5 and PowerBook G5.

This appears to be a mistake as these products are nowhere on the Apple pipeline.

Thanks for your time,

-Sunil Raman

Apple Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur

"

8) This is their reply:

"Dear Sunil,

Thank you for your email. We believe our sources on this story are reliable. However, because of all the questions raised by readers, we will try and run a follow up story later this week.

_

Thank you for reading DigiTimes.

Best regards,

Sylvia Wu

Account Manager

DigiTimes.com

"
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Why are you even here?

I agree. That's the whole point of the forums. People speculating about what could happen according to what they know or heard or read about. Of course we have and want to speculate about something we want to see happen and there's nothing wrong about it. If you're so sick of hearing about people speculating about a PowerBook G5, then why enter and post in a thread that refers to that "old rumor" in the first place.

We've been waiting long for this and 2005 seems to be the year that it will finally happen. Or at least we'll see a major improvement over the current models, not necessarily named G5, but it is going to happen.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oskar

I agree. That's the whole point of the forums. People speculating about what could happen according to what they know or heard or read about. Of course we have and want to speculate about something we want to see happen and there's nothing wrong about it. If you're so sick of hearing about people speculating about a PowerBook G5, then why enter and post in a thread that refers to that "old rumor" in the first place.

We've been waiting long for this and 2005 seems to be the year that it will finally happen. Or at least we'll see a major improvement over the current models, not necessarily named G5, but it is going to happen.

Yeah you go! oh and welcome to the forums!
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

:

"Dear Sunil,

Thank you for your email. We believe our sources on this story are reliable. However, because of all the questions raised by readers, we will try and run a follow up story later this week.

_

Thank you for reading DigiTimes.

Best regards,

Sylvia Wu

Account Manager

DigiTimes.com

"

Well, that's the same message they've responded to everybody who's asked about that article, be them Apple distributors or any other person. Seems to be an autoresponse. Let's just hope it's true they'll update it this week.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    meromero Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yo yo yo word up people, here's a reply to my email to DigiTimes

Here's my poseur email

"Hi Sylvia,

I work for Apple Malaysia and wanted to contact you regarding David Tzeng and Steve Shen's article on Apple to be shipping what is listed as iBook G5 and PowerBook G5.

This appears to be a mistake as these products are nowhere on the Apple pipeline.

Thanks for your time,

-Sunil Raman

Apple Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur

haha...that was sooo bad. Sorry

Apple would never say "those products are not in our pipeline." Apple would say "we do not disclose or speculate the amount of products that we produce in our pipelines, nor do we speculate on unannounced products. We have reason to believe that the information you presented is false. The amount of products we produce in our pipelines are summarized at the end of every quarter year at our conference call, you may get information about our production and sales at that time. Digitimes sucks. Is there freedom of speech where you are located? Please let us know ASAP. - Best Regards, Phil."
  • Reply 49 of 55
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

Apple would never say "those products are not in our pipeline." Apple would say "we do not disclose or speculate the amount of products that we produce in our pipelines, nor do we speculate on unannounced products. We have reason to believe that the information you presented is false. The amount of products we produce in our pipelines are summarized at the end of every quarter year at our conference call, you may get information about our production and sales at that time. Digitimes sucks. Is there freedom of speech where you are located? Please let us know ASAP. - Best Regards, Phil."

have to agree
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

I'm impressed! There are still believers out there

I wouldn't call my self a believer by any means.

I was just pointing out, that if this rumor is true than it appear to me that its pointing to this fiscal quarter.

Digitimes isn't famous for being accurate about anything, though.

Even if this story is totally fabricated, the powerbook will definitely have a major update by WWDC. There's no way there'll be a lack of update for over a year.

The only reason I'm paying any attention to this rumor is because I'm intending to buy the next powerbook revision, whether speedbump or complete update.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Apple would never say "those products are not in our pipeline." Apple would say "we do not disclose or speculate the amount of products that we produce in our pipelines, nor do we speculate on unannounced products.

Actually, they have already gone out of their way once to mention that there would be no G5 in a Powerbook anytime soon. That was when the original G5 Tower was released and there was huge speculation that the Powerbook would be updated with a G5 as well.

I believe they spoke up again, after the iMac got the G5, and they said that a Powerbook with a G5 was still a ways off.

It did also come up during the last conference call and they said it was "the mother of all challenges" but I didn't buy the sinserity of that.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    In the spirit of getting our minds off Apple speculatin' and hearing something from the real world, please check out http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=50064

Oh wait, that's still about Apple. Bloody hilarious though

PS. if i was the boy i'd be so so so dead like i would never imagine. but now i am 26 and realise that my parents are different from me, but overall quite forgiving
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

hey whatcha think? you think i regularly pose as an Apple employee and call/email Taiwanese news-sites? i'm bloody surprised they actually responded, auto- or no.

as though i have nothin better to do... um, wait, actually i don't really have anything better to do... \
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

It would be great... but I agree its extremely unlikely. We'll see at least one new generation of G4 PowerBooks before we get to a G5 version.

No one seems to ever talk about how big a battery a G5 Powerbook would need.............
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by camrahn

No one seems to ever talk about how big a battery a G5 Powerbook would need.............

That's mostly because the heat issue needs to be solved before the battery issue.

And solving the one will most likely solve the other.

*shrugs*