Nikon D70 or Pentax ist DS?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Now that complicates things again... I guess I'll wait for the Canon to come out before buying.

This would explain the recent price drop on the 300D.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Further to that, Nikon is on record saying that there will be a D50. My guess, like the Ist DS to the Ist D, it's going to be essentially a D70 in a smaller body, with a few improvements, and a few differences, for about 200-300 less than a D70...

No time like now to jump in...

Be advised that Sony is now moving faster in the DX sensor CMOS arena. Look for 10-12MP in mid-range DSLRs by year's end, and 8+ at the entry level. (Canon and Olympus are already there)

Glad to muddy the waters for ya...
  • Reply 43 of 47
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I know I would be content with the 300D or the *ist DS but knowing that new models are coming out, I'll wait for a bit. Never been terribly interested in the Nikon (not sure why, probably the expensive lenses are scaring me off) even if it's technically the better camera.

The 350XT has caught my eye and the initial opinions are very positive. Right now, it's at the top of my list.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

[B]Yes, I had a bunch of AIS manual focus lenses. They work with my D2h and D1x in that I can use MATRIX metering. This is not the case for the other Nikon bodies such as the D100 or D70.[B]

thats true, but don't forget you can still use older nikon lenses on your D70/D100, you just won't get any metering. "But that makes it useless!" I here you cry, to which I say, well, it's a digital camera. Set the aperture, take a picture and if it looks too dark, slow the shutter speed down and take another test shot.

Old lenses can be used, you just use the benefits of the instant feedback of a digital camera and use your eyes instead of a chip.

Sure it's not perfect, but for job's sake, don't throw away good glass...
  • Reply 45 of 47
    by the way, had a play with a Canon 350D yesterday at a UK show. Seemed better built than the 300D, all the right specs, the metal dial on the top got mixed reactions but the first impression was "blimey, this is small, I can't hold it comfortably". And I don't have big hands. So a little bit of an ergonomics disaster (pentax have a small dslr, but that doesn't seem as hard to hold, at least you don't hold it with three fingers and a thumb), but it seemed good otherwise, and I'm sure it'll sell by the bucketload.

in other news, didn't like the minolta 7D (buttons and dials everywhere, autofocus "hunted" a bit), pretty sure I want a Nikon D70 (felt solid, all the controls were right "for me", and of course I own some old nikon glass), The epson RD-1 that takes leica lenses is sooo sweet, and as usual everyone they stick on these show stands doesn't know their arse from their elbow (three people on the nikon stand told us the D70 doesn't have depth of field preview - we found out later it does)
  • Reply 46 of 47
    jeff79mjeff79m Posts: 37member
    I bought a D70 just about a year ago and have been very satisfied with my purchase. I have had no problems and am still amazed at all the features. I had at the time planned on getting the Digital Rebel but then I went and held the D70 at the local camera shop and impressed at how solid the camera felt. I had held the Digital Rebel which is solid but just doesn't feel long term sturdy. Also another review that is good is at bythom.com (he is a Nikon enthusiast but does do really good reviews of Nikon stuff).bythom.com