FireWire 2

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Tacky ? yes !

but accurate ?

I just find it amusing that people actually argue about such things on these boards (and it's worse on others). How hard is it to just post facts or speculation and not flame every post one disagrees with ?

And if you are a participant in the special olympics ... no offense intended, just making a point... so LIGHTEN UP FOLKS !!!
  • Reply 42 of 50
    This was reported today:

SmartDisk Releases 800Mbps FireWire Drive - Announcement Pulled

by Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac

January 6th 2003

SmartDisk has released 800Mb/ps FireWire drives - almost.

The article, [article no longer available - Ed.]. titled "SmartDisk New FirePower Drive Applies FireWire 800 Mbit/ps" published on Businesswire, was pulled at the request of Businesswire and was only available for a few minutes.

What can be gleaned from the fragments of the PR summary is that these are "a new line of high performance desktop hard drives that connect to Apple's computers using 800Mb/ps FireWire".

The premature release suggests that Apple will intro 800Mb/ps FireWire ports on at least some of its Macs during CEO Jobs' keynote Tuesday.

It is unclear why Businesswire would request the item be pulled from Yahoo biz unless the call came from Apple. As far as IGM is aware, Apple still has a shareholding in SmartDisk.

There is no indication of the release on SmartDisk's home page.

SmartDisk will be at Booth 1142 at MacWorld from tomorrow.

Analysis: This was obviously unintentionally sent out early, but tends to confirm that Apple will intro faster FireWire tomorrow. This will give IEEE-1394 an even bigger leg up on USB 2.0 which itself struggles to live up to its advertised '480Mb/ps' speed. 800Mb/ps controllers and devices have reportedly been manufactured in Taiwan since around October, but their utility without the controllers on Macs and PCI cards to drive sales was dubious. Now watch the rush to FireWire 2.0

Chas
  • Reply 43 of 50
    gnurfgnurf Posts: 20member
    [quote]

<strong>There are consumer HD cams waiting in the wings for this technology.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Huh?

Where, what, how, who, why?!?!

That`d be nice...
  • Reply 44 of 50
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macmedia:

<strong>This was reported today:

SmartDisk Releases 800Mbps FireWire Drive - Announcement Pulled

by Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac

January 6th 2003

SmartDisk has released 800Mb/ps FireWire drives - almost.

The article, [article no longer available - Ed.]. titled "SmartDisk New FirePower Drive Applies FireWire 800 Mbit/ps" published on Businesswire, was pulled at the request of Businesswire and was only available for a few minutes.

What can be gleaned from the fragments of the PR summary is that these are "a new line of high performance desktop hard drives that connect to Apple's computers using 800Mb/ps FireWire".

The premature release suggests that Apple will intro 800Mb/ps FireWire ports on at least some of its Macs during CEO Jobs' keynote Tuesday.

It is unclear why Businesswire would request the item be pulled from Yahoo biz unless the call came from Apple. As far as IGM is aware, Apple still has a shareholding in SmartDisk.

There is no indication of the release on SmartDisk's home page.

SmartDisk will be at Booth 1142 at MacWorld from tomorrow.

Analysis: This was obviously unintentionally sent out early, but tends to confirm that Apple will intro faster FireWire tomorrow. This will give IEEE-1394 an even bigger leg up on USB 2.0 which itself struggles to live up to its advertised '480Mb/ps' speed. 800Mb/ps controllers and devices have reportedly been manufactured in Taiwan since around October, but their utility without the controllers on Macs and PCI cards to drive sales was dubious. Now watch the rush to FireWire 2.0

Chas</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wonder if this is the reason for the 3 to 5 day wait on powerbooks? I also wonder if there will be a new powermac mobo for firewire 2? Is it possible that if there is a new mobo that we could also get a new (and much improved) microprocessor on this mobo?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    FireWire 800 is now current hardware. So, moving...
  • Reply 46 of 50
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>FireWire 800 is now current hardware. So, moving...</strong><hr></blockquote>

It will be when it starts shipping in 2-4 weeks.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is cool. However the MiniPBs (MiniTi?) don't have FW2. I'm still getting one like yesterday but that would've made me soil myself even more. :eek: $1699 at U.RI.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    newnew Posts: 3,244member

Anyone else think it's kinda strange that the 17" has both the old firewire and the new firewire2 port? Why not just ship it with the crossover-cables?

And what is this gonna do with the iPod? Will the next version ship with the new 9-pin port?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The FireWire 400 port is good if you don't obsessively carry the converter cable at all times.

I don't think the iPod would benefit from FireWire 800 and most Macs don't have it, so iPod will stick with the old connector.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>The FireWire 400 port is good if you don't obsessively carry the converter cable at all times.

I don't think the iPod would benefit from FireWire 800 and most Macs don't have it, so iPod will stick with the old connector.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But you could apply that argument to quite a few firewire equipped devices and you'd never finish migrating to the new standard.

However, I do agree that it may be a while before the new FW800 appears on the iPod, but when it does, they will clearly have to supply an adapter/cross-over cable for those iPod buyers who do not yet have the new FW800 on the computer. That point will be long before FW400 is so outdated that we have all replaced our FW400 equipped computers.