the 15" PB still the best...?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by VanDeWaals:

<strong>Hey...the 15" PB's WERE updated!!! DDR RAM!! Check out the Apple Store page. So are these new 15" PB's also using the new unpainted Al enclosure?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 15.2" Powerbooks were not changed at all and are using the SDRAM....as it says on the Apple Store Page.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I must admit that I still prefer the look of the Ti case over the Al case....maybe it is the contrasts with the painted edges and the darker keyboard. The 17" inch PB tho is definately a better computer with the integrated Bluetooth, the FW2 ports, the 802.11g card, the DDR RAM and that awesome keyboard. I am pretty neutral on the rest...screen size, ports on the side, etc.

I had gotten the 1 GHz Ti last month, and am not currently suffering the same type of envy that I had when the 667MHz Rev. B model was upgraded. But I still can not understand the timing of the release of the 1 GHz Ti when they had this laptop all but ready to go. Someone wanna take a crack at that for me?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by VanDeWaals:

<strong>Hey...the 15" PB's WERE updated!!! DDR RAM!! Check out the Apple Store page. So are these new 15" PB's also using the new unpainted Al enclosure?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Same RAM, same enclosure.

Sober up dude.

• Reply 24 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    My guess is that the next Powerbook revision will bring the 15" model in line with the others.

Same material and ports as the new one. But I don't think that will happen until spring. Once it does, it may very well be the best of the bunch given it's "smaller" size.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    I love the looks of the 12-inch and would seriously consider one, but I sold my iBook to get a PowerBook chiefly because the screen was just too small for me to do any serious work. I was thinking of upgrading at the next PB revision so I hope the 15-inch gets a few of the features of the 17, as it's really the perfect size for me.

EDIT: By the way, am I reading things wrong or did the price of the 15-inch SuperDrive Ti drop $200 today? Was $2,999, now $2,799.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: BrunoBruin ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote]Originally posted by icruise:

<strong>The pics on Apple's website suck -- they are just renders, not actual photos. Go to this site for some better pictures -- I think the new books look great.

<a href="http://suyama.co.jp/index.html"; target="_blank">http://suyama.co.jp/index.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

well that 17" is running 10.2.4!!!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I just noticed that, too -- thinking, "Don't I have that?" Nope. The pics don't make it appear to be that big and unwieldy -- seems just a bit bigger than the TiBook. If anyhing, having one for a desktop allows for proper ergonmics for people with larger hands -- your entire hand/wrist is supported. I'm getting one as soon as I can...which is prolly august,heh.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    The 15" PowerBooks still come with PC133 RAM. The two new models both have DDR. The 17" model also has a 167MHz FSB. Nice.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

Same RAM, same enclosure.

Sober up dude.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

(Beats head on table) Oops.

Of course as soon as I posted that I realized my error and AI wouldn't let me back in to retract. Who's the a-hole now?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Whisper:

<strong>The problem with the 15.2" Powerbooks is that they still use the old RAM technology. I'd be willing to put up with the size of the 17" just to get DDR RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Keep in mind that even the new models are still stuck with a SDR front side bus (at least it looks like they are). Considering this, I don't think it would be a very wise idea to upgrade just for the DDR RAM alone.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 31 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by BrunoBruin:

<strong>I love the looks of the 12-inch and would seriously consider one, but I sold my iBook to get a PowerBook chiefly because the screen was just too small for me to do any serious work. I was thinking of upgrading at the next PB revision so I hope the 15-inch gets a few of the features of the 17, as it's really the perfect size for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too. The 12-inch is very tempting to take on the road and my TiBook does seem to get most of it's use on the train rather than on a desk. However, the reason I got it was to fit those Dreamweaver windows and pallettes onto one screen without overlapping, so I'm not sure I can drop resolution again.

As it is I have one of the origial 15-inch TiBooks with the 1152x768 resolution, so a new 15-inch with the current 1280x854 screen would be a step up in screen size for me and the 17-inch extras of Bluetooth, FW800, Airport Extreme, DDR RAM, NVidia 440 64MB, 60GB HD, Superdrive and illuminated keyboard sure would be sweet. That would be my dream machine.

However, we are in the market for a second Mac for my wife, so maybe a 12-inch AlBook for her would do perfectly... as long as she doesn't mind me borrowing it for those trips when I don't need the large screen of my 15-inch!!