Tiger and Longhorn names....

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Technically, OS X is the same as Linux. Its UNIX-like, not UNIX per se.

In order to be able to claim that your OS is UNIX (as Apple has been doing), you need to pass a series of tests and verification processes done by the OpenGroup which holds the Trademark of UNIX and is the sole party to decide which products may use it and which products may not. To date, there hasn't been such a test on OS X.

They have a list of OS's they have certified and accepted to be branded as UNIX, and OS X is not one of them. However, Linux and FreeBSD are described as Unix-like, and seeing as OS X is based on FreeBSD to some extent, it can be said that OS X is *nix.

If I remember correctly, the Open Group has sued Apple for using the brand name of UNIX without prior licence from them.

If I don't remember correctly, please correct me.

~ The list of companies/products that can use the brand UNIX can be found Here
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Technically, OS X is the same as Linux. Its UNIX-like, not UNIX per se.

In order to be able to claim that your OS is UNIX (as Apple has been doing), you need to pass a series of tests and verification processes done by the OpenGroup which holds the Trademark of UNIX and is the sole party to decide which products may use it and which products may not. To date, there hasn't been such a test on OS X.

They have a list of OS's they have certified and accepted to be branded as UNIX, and OS X is not one of them. However, Linux and FreeBSD are described as Unix-like, and seeing as OS X is based on FreeBSD to some extent, it can be said that OS X is *nix.

If I remember correctly, the Open Group has sued Apple for using the brand name of UNIX without prior licence from them.

If I don't remember correctly, please correct me.

~ The list of companies/products that can use the brand UNIX can be found Here

As far as i remember i read somewhere that this "Unix Compatibility Test" and its logo is not free. It costs around $100000 and Apple refused to pay. The source i believe is Wikipedia.

Regards and sorry for my english