About to buy a G5 imac. But which one? Need advice.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Well, I don't think Tiger will be here for at least 6 months yet - that's why Steve said 'First Half' - in other words - end of June.

I have been waiting for ages for Apple to update their Powerbooks - even if they do, they won't be 64 bit anyway, so have decided to go for an imac instead.

I don't need to play games on my Mac (I don't even play games on my Windows machine), so I guess the graphics card isn't too much of a problem.

It seems that whenever I want to buy a Mac, that updates are just around the corner. I waited until after Chrismas as I thought they'd update the archaic Powerbook range - they didn't.

6 months is a long time in the computer world, so i'll phone up Apple and if they can guarantee it'll ship with ilife 05, i'll go for it.

It's ridiculous that all new Macs aren't already shipping with ilife 05, it's already out, and Apple must have known the demand for it, so why did they not prepare? I understand the shuffle's limited availiblity, but no something as simple as a CD!!! Do Apple seriously expect anyone to buy a Mac with ilife 04 on it, when the front page of their website has the 05 version advertised. Apple really need to sort this out - I want to make the switch, but Apple are making it pretty damm difficult!
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Good points, Wiffmaster.

I definitely feel your pain!

In apple's defense, new Mac's don't ship with a CD of iLife '04... it comes preinstalled, and the CD installation stuff includes iLife. They've probably got wharehouses full of iMacs, ready to ship all the time. For them to add iLife '05 would be pretty unrealistic.

I *DO* think it should be a *FREE* update for anyone buying a Mac after Jan 22... that's kinda jerky of Apple to force me to pay $20. A download would only cost them a little bandwidth. Ah well. Modern industry.

Updates are *always* around the corner, of course! And sometimes its best to buy a machine BEFORE an update, because new machines can be hard to get in stock and might have unforseen start-up bugs (rare, but nice to know that a model has been thoroughly tested before I plunk down a couple grand!)

Have fun with your new Mac,

beagle

Quote:

Originally posted by Wiffmaster

It seems that whenever I want to buy a Mac, that updates are just around the corner. I waited until after Chrismas as I thought they'd update the archaic Powerbook range - they didn't.

It's ridiculous that all new Macs aren't already shipping with ilife 05, it's already out, and Apple must have known the demand for it, so why did they not prepare?

• Reply 23 of 27
    I am am a start web designer, movie editor, and graphices artist. I am wait untill Mac os Tiger comes out. I my self getting the 17" 1.8ghz and adding a 15" also 512mb.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    my question is this...i'm trying to simplify things, (i.e. get rid of my tv) and is the 20" iMac sufficient enough to watch DVDs on? does it fill up the whole screen and get rid of the letterbox?

thanks!
  • Reply 25 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just got a 20" iMac G5 in November! OH YEAH!! DVD's ROCK on this baby!! To heck with waiting. I wouldn't know the difference in the one GPU from another. I am easily satisfied anymore I guess.

I can't remember if it gets rid of the letter box. I am thinking you still have some black above and below but I can't remember. I can check tonight. I watch DVD's on it almost daily (mostly in half size mode while i work).

I got the 160 gig HDD, BT options, 1 gig ram. I wish I would have went ahead and got the biggest HDD (this is a must in my opinion) and 2 gig ram (although the ram is out of sight).

Eric
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jkc710

my question is this...i'm trying to simplify things, (i.e. get rid of my tv) and is the 20" iMac sufficient enough to watch DVDs on? does it fill up the whole screen and get rid of the letterbox?

thanks!

Whether or not it gets rid of the letterbox depends on the DVD, I believe. Some DVDs are anamorphic widescreen, some DVDs are "fake" widescreen. The newer, better DVDs on the market tend to always be anamorphic, so you should be set. Check out the back of your DVD boxes... its interesting stuff.

Somebody reading this please speak up if I've confused anamorphic/vs. Wide screen... I'm an amateur.

I've watched DVDs on the smaller iMac, and they look INCREDIBLY COOL. With or without true widescreen. Really beautiful. The 20" would be even cooler!

With a TV Tuner and adaptor, you could conceivably watch cable television on your iMac, too. Though I've never done that.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cool, thanks for the quick responses.... anamorphic actually means that it stretches out for widescreen tv's...regular widescreen just has it in letterbox..