Hi

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
HI guys new member here. Anyways, I'm new to the Mac world

and recently got a refurbished iMac. Well when I go to turn it on, a gray screen pops up and a little icon that looks like a computer with a face shows up. then I cant do anything and it just stays like that. Yes, I'm a newb, please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Welcome

How long are you leaving it on for? It will do that and if it was shut down improperly, it'll try to fix/tidy up at startup. After a certain amount of time it should boot up normally into the desktop. Try leaving it alone for 5-10 minutes. If it still does nothing, ask us again, there are things you can do.

It's not normal to take long, but if, for example, the power was cut off or the plug was pulled without shutting down, it'll take longer to boot next time.

? Is it a happy mac face of does it switch to a sad mac or folder symbol with a question mark on it?

? Is the hard drive making any clicking/ticking noises or is it silent.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    cafecafe Posts: 14member
    wow that was fast. It's a happy Mac face, but nothings happened yet. It's kinda silent but makes like a fan sounding noise. THanks for the reply, hoping the face goes away.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    If it's silent, it's probably just hung and not actually fixing anything. The tapping would mean the hard drive is busy reading/writing stuff, chances are it's crashed.

So...

? Describe the physical iMac. What kind is it, if you know. In general.

? Do you know which operating system it's supposed to have on it? I mean did you ever see it running?

? Did it come with the operating system CDs?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I would say it's about 3 years old. It's red, Dunno what else, I'm a newbie.

no cds, don't know what system it came with, sorry. still nothing yet.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I don't now much but by the sounds of it he has one of the origenal IMac's you now the G3 line wich would at best mean it would have Mac os 9 or 8.

but thats just a gess and don't forget i am still a PC user and hoping to convert once i have sold this PC

but it might speed things up a bit.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Hm, no system CDs makes it considerably harder to fix.

Might want to at least power it off (hold the power button in until it shuts off).

Then, turn it on again but hold the Shift key down for like 30 seconds or so, see if it gets any further.

(Macs load "extensions" at startup and sometimes they make the Mac hang. Shift bypasses them, and lets you boot up without them, long enough to get in and figure out what went wrong.)
  • Reply 7 of 25
    This time i held shift dwn, but it still went to happy mac face screen.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    did it again and folder with question mark came up.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Who'd you buy it from? Refurbished should still come with install CDs.

Edit:

Ok, if a folder with a question mark came up, try turning the power off like before. Then turn it on again but this time hold:

Command + Option + Shift + Delete keys at the same time and hold it for 30 seconds or so, see if it gets further.

"Command" meaning the "Apple" key next to the spacebar.

Might want to practice holding all 4 keys down before powering on. Yes it's awkward. That key combination causes the mac to look for a valid startup disk.

Hm, beyond that I can't really think of anything else to do.

But I'm sure other members here can chime in with help.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    My girlfriends firm downgraded to dells. And they were giving away their macs.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    See above again, I updated it.

Anyway it's not a lost cause, but you might need to get some install discs from ebay or something.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    hmm. same screen, ?mark folder.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    As with a PC if you lose the Windows installer CD, not having the Mac OS installer CD makes it tougher to really fix things.

Wait a bit and someone else might help you here
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Thanks, bump.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I got into the open firmware screen, anything in there that would help me?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Try this

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

It will reset the pram.......if you get it to start after this and you get the mac folder with a question mark. Let it start up, and then you need to make sure you choose a start-up disc.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cafe

My girlfriends firm downgraded to dells. And they were giving away their macs.

Have they got any more!?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I'm beging to think a cd may be trapped inside, and the computer is trying to load it, but i cant get the cd out, and it wont let me put one in.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Have they got any more!?

I don't think so. I've had it for like 7 months now, but i recently moved, so it's been siting in a box.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cafe

I'm beging to think a cd may be trapped inside, and the computer is trying to load it, but i cant get the cd out, and it wont let me put one in.

Is it a slot or tray loading? Actually, that doesn't matter for what I'm about to tell you, just narrowing down your model.

Try restarting it with the mouse button held down. This should make it eject. If you hear an unholy noise, than it's trying to eject and it is indeed stuck.