Special Report: Apple's Mac mini in-depth

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Yup in fact here's the AppleInsider thread that got me hooked http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=49840
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by switch_hmg

HHmmm, interesting idea the slices, but I think they may have been done before: Acorn RiscPC, didn't it have something like this?

RiscPC images and information

Product brochure...

I remember really liking the idea of this machine!

whoa... RISC old skool style
  • Reply 43 of 55
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PDubNYC

oh really? interesting, because these fellas seem to think different

http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=44

The Powermac G5s ship with Pioneer burners. iMacs, Mac Minis and powerbooks all use Panasonic drives. I assume iBooks too.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PDubNYC

oh really? interesting, because these fellas seem to think different

http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=44

A bit of a hassle, but a nice surprise nonetheless if true.

edited for a typo

Ok, ok, *Officially* no Macs come with dual layer drives. ;-)

The slot loading laptop drive in the mini though is a 4x MATSHITA UJ-825 out of all probability as that's what they fit in the other slot loaders currently.

I wonder if they're fitting the Pioneer drive HardMac mention in the eMac - that would annoy slightly, having a 16x dual layer drive in the eMac yet a barely 4x drive in the iMac. Oh well, at least it's an excuse for another nice Lacie d2 box. ;-)
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

and we love to speculate how you can buy 6 of these and stack it up and stuff and use it as media centers and stuff.... because Oh, it'll be so cool...

oh yeah and mod it and stuff so that it can run like UT2004 at 1600x1200 at 60fps average and remove the hard disk and stuff and put in a 250gb 5400rpm 3.5" drive and ...

I don't understand why you post something like this - and then a little later you post a photoshopped photo with the same exact thing you were saying was a stupid idea in another thread.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

No it can't. It's appears to be the same MATSHITA UJ-825 superdrive as in the iMac and Powerbook. 4.7GB. Apple.com points you to the same 4x 4.7GB media in the shop as for the others in the range.

No Macs come with Dual-Layer (which is what I presume you meant) drives yet.

A DV stream off a camcorder is about 10-13GB per hour depending on format.

So the Mac mini with 80GB disk wouldn't be out of the question for editing most home users camcorder videos and burning to DVD but as I said, anyone doing serious editing is going to want a faster, bigger computer.

I've done video editing on a G4-Yikes! 450Mhz so it's not impossible, but that's all we had at the time. IIRC the drive was only 40GB too.

1) Joe User doesn't back up

2) To get 60GB onto the iPod, they'd have to have 60GB of photos and tunes in their iPhoto and iTunes library already on their Mac mini.

3) The Lacie D2 drive I have sat here, which is a nice silver colour and about the same size as a Mac mini (6.5" by 6" by 1.8") has a firewire pass through port. Most firewire drives do. It'd sit nicely under/on a Mac mini and take up no space.

I'm sure there is but if I knew I wanted to edit a lot of video, I'd not start with a sub $500 computer with a small drive and limited RAM and then add on expensive peripherals.

It seems aegisdesign is a barter smastard than I I shall admit defeat.

I do agree that the mini will attract buyers looking for a cheap computer, prossibly their first or switching from Windoze, not planning to edit video but then they find all the wonderful toys in iLife 05 to be so easy to use that they will decide to transfer their lifetimes collection of video tapes on to DVD (single layer ). Then discover that musical talent and start playing around with GarageBand... anyway all I was trying to say was that the Mac mini could offer a chance for Mac mini-esque add ons, such as Sunilraman's slices:

Thanks sunilraman for putting my idea into vision. Although it does look a bit like a Cube
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

I don't understand why you post something like this - and then a little later you post a photoshopped photo with the same exact thing you were saying was a stupid idea in another thread.

australians will understand this act as "taking the piss out of myself"

or PeePee, i would explain as i was just messing about in a fun way... i honestly dont think its a stupid idea... and even if i did i seem to have got caught up in all the Slice Hype.

edit: in any case, my mock-up of TranceFire modules relates not the home theatres or added hard disks or GPUs, it is a idea specifically for electronic musicians that want to have that warm, rich vintage analog sounds** in a convenient package and fully digitally interfaced to your music software

**the stuff when you're listening to dance music and on pills it feels really really good
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

Thanks sunilraman for putting my idea into vision. Although it does look a bit like a Cube

yup, the mini is apple's chance of ... you know, atonment for the Cube sins
  • Reply 49 of 55
    I plan on getting one and COMPLETELY ignored the warning about the RAM issue. If I was able to take apart my cube at work (and that is completely taking it apart) to install a faster video card, I think I can manage a mini.

I got a 10% off coupon from the Apple Store when they had a "John Lennon Educational Tour Bus" demo at the Grove Apple Store in Los Angeles. The coupon says it's good for any regular priced Apple product.

Buy my own 1GB RAM, my own 80GB HD, my 10% off coupon. Then resell the original 40GB drive and 256MB RAM stick and I'll be WELL UNDER the price of an eMac even if I buy a $300 third-party flat-panel.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by madaxeman04

I plan on getting one and COMPLETELY ignored the warning about the RAM issue. If I was able to take apart my cube at work (and that is completely taking it apart) to install a faster video card, I think I can manage a mini.

I got a 10% off coupon from the Apple Store when they had a "John Lennon Educational Tour Bus" demo at the Grove Apple Store in Los Angeles. The coupon says it's good for any regular priced Apple product.

Buy my own 1GB RAM, my own 80GB HD, my 10% off coupon. Then resell the original 40GB drive and 256MB RAM stick and I'll be WELL UNDER the price of an eMac even if I buy a $300 third-party flat-panel.

except eMac is gonna be a g5

anyway all the best with your plan.. !!

HOW THE HELL did you fit a PC video card in your CUBE ??????? show us Pics??
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

australians will understand this act as "taking the piss out of myself"

or PeePee, i would explain as i was just messing about in a fun way... i honestly dont think its a stupid idea... and even if i did i seem to have got caught up in all the Slice Hype.

edit: in any case, my mock-up of TranceFire modules relates not the home theatres or added hard disks or GPUs, it is a idea specifically for electronic musicians that want to have that warm, rich vintage analog sounds** in a convenient package and fully digitally interfaced to your music software

**the stuff when you're listening to dance music and on pills it feels really really good

Well one of my ideas was some kind of a raid slice where you have 4 ide hard drives setup underneath/whatever the computer - if you add one more inch to the height you can just replace the one right inside the machine instead of having to add one externally. It could be for home theater, making music, home theater.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do that if you were going to add all this other stuff.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

this machine will be a huge hit. i think this machine easily sell more then 100,000 units being produced by apple.

this will have the same affect as the original imac.

Much bigger than the original imac for 3 reasons:

1: cheaper and works with existing hardware

2: windows viruses and spyware have gotten to the point where it is a main stream concern, the virus and spyware problem is talked about not just a bunch of geeks and engineers like it was 3 years ago, I have seen windows rigs that i thought were secure trashed because the user stopped running spybot every week...this is unacceptable

3: Mac OS X Face it, mac clasic OS (system 7-9.*) sucked so hard that they were not worth the CDs that they were printed on: whereas OSX is secure, rock solid, easy and pretty.

3a: iLife: this suit alone would cost ~$500 to come close to duplicateing in windows xp.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

... Face it, mac clasic OS (system 7-9.*) sucked so hard that they were not worth the CDs that they were printed on...

whoa... harsh dude lol
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Well one of my ideas was some kind of a raid slice where you have 4 ide hard drives setup underneath/whatever the computer - if you add one more inch to the height you can just replace the one right inside the machine instead of having to add one externally. It could be for home theater, making music, home theater.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do that if you were going to add all this other stuff.

well, for music anyway sometimes the strategy is to always use a 7200rpm external as a dedicated music-only drive, and have all the system stuff on the internal drive...

i understand your idea with putting in a massive hard disk, even if it makes the mini just a little bigger. apple is so so so so so bloody close to a kick ass home theatre pc... i mean, dvd player, 60 hours of fast-access recording, and *almost* a way to make scheduling and recording and purchasing content so easy .... (ie, the iTMS Video/Movies version if it ever comes out)
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

HOW THE HELL did you fit a PC video card in your CUBE ??????? show us Pics??

sunilraman, I didn't shoehorn a PC video card into my cube, maybe you misread my post. I just put a bigger (32MB) ATI card in there.

My home rig (the 9600 in my signature) sports a flashed PC Radeon