So, Will the new Powerbooks boot off OS 9??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by SuperMacTech:

<strong>

Ransomed, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Anyway, I like to list my credentials when I post something SERVICE related on these forums. I know anybody can say whatever they want and nobody can prove it one way or the other. Who cares, I don't. I don't know why you do. If you don't want my help, then don't read my posts. And grow up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings, it's just that your post had an arrogant and cocky overtone. That plus your screen name really support an 'I know more than everybody else here' attitude.

It is precisely why I've grown up that I'm telling you this. But your help will always be appreciated (although that's besides the point), and I really like your signature quote.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wotan:

<strong>

This could be the thing that will finally nudge some of the last few "stragglers" into OSX.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apparently by the "last few 'stragglers'" you mean 50%+ of the mac user base? (myself included)
  • Reply 23 of 34
    thanks randsom, truce.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>The first guy answered your question. And so did Steve in the Keynote. You just don't want to face the reality that OS 9 is HISTORY. Accept it and get over it. If you need to boot into OS 9, buy the GHZ SuperDisk 15" TiBook for the new low price $2800 and be happy.</strong><hr></blockquote>Thank you for your observations and suggestions.

- T.I.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>

Well that REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks.

I run OS 9 most of the time because only 4 of the 28 programs I absolutely need will run in Classic under OS X.

And I was looking forward to buying a 17" PB too.

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;worlds smallest violin playing&gt;
  • Reply 26 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by SuperMacTech:

<strong>thanks randsom, truce.</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool. :cool:

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: RANSOMED ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 34
    I'm interested in getting the new 17" powerbook, but will it boot into OS 8.6?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yes.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    The fact also is that there ARE emulators that will install System 7.5 and higher and may be able to run some of that OS 9 only software as well.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Classic/OS 9 still runs on these 'Books. So I would think another emulator would be redundant. Maybe I don't understand?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I think that anyone who has software that runs only on OS 9 should wait on buuying a new mac until they can get thir hands on OSX versions. I would have gon totally OS X by now if it weren't for Quark (and Virtual Game Station). By the way... anyone know about any PS or PS2 emulators for OSX?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Yo people, some of us write the software that we use. I would be love use OS X but it costs some of us alot more than a few bucks and a trip to CompUSA. Some of us are being forced to recode our software. Its easy for a company that writes software to keep upgrading. For those of us that just use software as a tool, we don't have the same resources to keep it current with every little HW and OS update that comes along. And from the rumors about a new Processor, I am not going to waste time recoding for a major OS change and then have to recode again after the 970 becomes the new Apple preferred Hardware.

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>

Poppycock.

I think you are mistaken. Please post those 24 titles that you think are not available in OS X and we will tell you where to get them for OS X and from whom for how much money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well two of programs are for the US Military ( TRESIM and STRED ), I would love to be able to run them under OS X. Updated versions are probably worth a few 100K if you have them... but I doubt it.

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 34
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Good riddance.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>