Mac mini review at Technology Insider

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/MacMini2.html

My favorite parts:

"Oh, did I forget to mention that the Mini has no PCI slots either? And no floppy disk drive? Well, no wonder they got the unit to be so small"

"the Mini uses a weird kind of display connector on the back that requires a special adapter if you want to plug it into a PC monitor"

"The Mini boots up into a stripped-down operating system which Apple calls OS X, similar to the stripped-down WindowsCE OS found on many handhelds"

"perfect computer for grandmothers or autistic children"

"some built-in software for basic computer functions, but it can?t do many common things as well as its grown-up brothers in the Windows world can"

"releasing a computer with no virus removal software is irresponsible on the part of Apple"

"My Office 2003 CD would not install, despite claims I had heard from Mac fanboys that OS X is compatible with Office"

"Heck, the Internet Explorer icon isn?t even out on the taskbar by default"

"Poor standards compliance: Apple's Safari web browser often fails to render MSN properly"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I like this:

"Poor standards compliance: Apple's Safari web browser often fails to render MSN properly."
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Is this article serious?

I really hope it is a joke...if not this guy needs to be shot because a lot of the facts he is stating are false.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    My fave bit:

"...Mail, which is like a stripped-down email client that can?t execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention..."

i.e. run email viruses
  • Reply 4 of 31
    This made me laugh too - from the same site:

http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/linuxbeat3.htm
  • Reply 5 of 31
    "_ Secondly and possibly even more glaringly, there is no antivirus program shipped with the Mac._ In today?s climate of non-stop worms, trojans and viruses, releasing a computer with no virus removal software is irresponsible on the part of Apple._ The OS X comes with some system maintenance utilities, but essentials such as a defragmenter or a or registry cleaner are notably absent._ I would expect a Mini to get really slow and unstable within a couple months if you can?t perform any routine maintenance tasks on it."

Ah well, guess I've been lucky... iBook since August, and not a problem with it yet. And I don't now a thing about computers.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    It's funny how ignorant fanboys are. It's on both sides of the fence though.

I work with both Mac's and PC's and I see a place for both of them. That being said, I will never have another PC in my home. Mac's are the way to go for consumers. They are virtually flawless, efficient, simple, yet powerful machines.

I mean, I don't know where this guy learned about computers. It is a DVI port, dipshit! The new standard for any high quality monitor. Plus Apple gives you the VGA adapter so you can still run your POS 15" Dell monitor.

And sorry, but 90% of all consumer printers have been running off of USB for what, 5 years? Also, i think it is time you through out floppy's and start backing up on CD's. Just a suggestion. Furthermore, you are using a full version of OSX. You think it is stripped down? Not really. It is just made so that you don't have to tweak the hell out of it for it to run decently a la Windows. Also, if you think it sucks, wait for Longhorn. Apparently they are ripping off Apple because they know how to make a good OS.

So ya. I got it out of my system. My only consolation is that social darwinism will eventually take care of dumbasses like yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time._

I think that if you haven't figured it out by then, this last bit makes it pretty clear that it's a joke.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    My only concern is that some ignorant Windows users will read this and beleive it to be true...

...on second thoughts, Apple can do without ignorant users and given the fact that they can't make mini's fast enough to match demand, less switchers is not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    No, wait.. "While the hardware is about roughly equivalent to a Windows PC circa 1995.."

What planet is this asshole from. Even a Windows troll would spot this line as bullsh!t. Maybe next time, he'll preach to the Windows World of how he just edited Star Wars Episode VII on his Pocket PC!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by telekon

No, wait.. "While the hardware is about roughly equivalent to a Windows PC circa 1995.."

What planet is this asshole from. Even a Windows troll would spot this line as bullsh!t. Maybe next time, he'll preach to the Windows World of how he just edited Star Wars Episode VII on his Pocket PC!

It's called humor.... The article is meant as a joke.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Hi there!

I don't think this article is meant to be serious.

It is imho meant to be funny (I find it funny), for obvious reasons. No human whatsoever would expect another platform to have solutions for problems it doesn't have (like a lot of viruses, adware etc.).

David
  • Reply 12 of 31
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Take a look at divisiontwo's frontpage and the page linked from there. It definitely is a humor/satire site.

Take a look at the 13-years-old web design "genius's" page - sexually explicit but hilarious.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    we can always email him

[email protected]

flood his email box!!
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Jorge Lopez is a DeVry graduate with an MCSE certification

Nuff said right?

Mike
  • Reply 15 of 31
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Written in very light grey at the bottom of the homepage...

All DivisionTwo content is sature. All columnists, authors, reporters, and articles are fictitious.

I thought it was pretty funny too
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by jivebaby

Jorge Lopez is a DeVry graduate with an MCSE certification

MCSE? MineSweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert?

• Reply 17 of 31
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    This is a really clever post. I like the part where he confuses the size of the mini with the size of the iPod shuffle. Also, this line: "While there is a Mac-style ?donnnnggggg? when the Mini is first turned on, during normal operation the unit makes no sound whatsoever. This could make it very difficult for a novice user to know whether or not the computer is on."

• Reply 18 of 31
    this article actually bugged the crap out of me cuz it sounds EXACTLY like half of the kids at my school. not even exaggerating... "oh my god, no PCI, no floppy, no suckiness!" god...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

we can always email him

[email protected]

flood his email box!!

• Reply 20 of 31
    Yeah, I got lazy... Why waste the energy.

Law of nature in action- do no more than you have to