Mac mini review at Technology Insider

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That was hilarious. The DeVry thing was priceless.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Guys..come on. He's right you know.. The Mac DOES need a Registry editor app! Come on. Just admit it...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    It's a good spoof of a clueless PC enthusiast. I hope this poor fellow doesn't hear from too many who took him seriously.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Guys..come on. He's right you know.. The Mac DOES need a Registry editor app! Come on. Just admit it...

Especially that one we had a while back—RegEdit, I think?—that allowed you to use wildcards in registry keys when replacing or deleting.

Whee!
  • Reply 25 of 31
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    That review was comedy gold!

i though it was a serious review at first, then I started to wonder who this retard was, but by the end I got it. Great piece. I love satire.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

It's a good spoof of a clueless PC enthusiast. I hope this poor fellow doesn't hear from too many who took him seriously.

I found the article very funny.

I believe the writers at divisiontwo enjoy being taken seriously, have a look at the mail section of their site. Hilarious.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Hey, a look at the PBG5 with the same level of great repoerting as the mini artical!

link
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I've had my iMac G5 for 2 weeks now and it is by far my best computer ever.

I left behind a ThinkPad with the latest chips and graphics to my wife and it is only a matter of time before I get a G5 tower.

I have zillions of PPT and Excel files created under XP and I have had ZERO compatibility problems with Office:mac. Zero!!!
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by DifferentLee

I've had my iMac G5 for 2 weeks now and it is by far my best computer ever. . .

Nice to hear about new Mac users' experiences.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I sent the Mac mini spoof link to several people and got a good critique from one. Turns out I missed some humorous tidbits because I didn't know enough about Windows. Here are a few quotes from the spoof followed by his comments -- some may have been noted before.

"For example, there is no Outlook Express for email, but Apple includes a program called Mail, which is like a stripped-down email client that can?t execute scripts or open attachments without user intervention..."

Referring to the fact that some windows programs such as Outlook can (and will) automatically install viruses onto your computer, or perform automated malicious attacks, unless carefully configured not to do so.

"Secondly and possibly even more glaringly, there is no antivirus program shipped with the Mac..."

Because there are virtually no viruses for OS X, and OS X comes configured so securely that viruses would have a difficult time even getting into the computer.

"The OS X comes with some system maintenance utilities, but essentials such as a defragmenter or a or registry cleaner are notably absent._ I would expect a Mini to get really slow and unstable within a couple months if you can?t perform any routine maintenance tasks on it..."

A testament to how well OS X self-manages disk fragmentation and resource allocation: it will hum along without a hitch for years and years. Windows systems require routine maintenance to perform well. And there is no registry analog in OS X, the Achilles Heel of Windows.

"There is no Mac version of WeatherBug to check the temperature anywhere in the world. Nor is there a Mac version of helpful web and email enhancers like Hotbar. Or any equivalent of the DealHelper software I use to keep track of my passwords..."

First of all, most of what these things do is built right in to OS X applications (Safari google search bar, Keychain access, etc). But more hilariously, most Windows users are DESPERATE to get rid of this stuff, as it falls into a category of annoying, automatically installed software that users hate. I know one person that spent a full TWO DAYS removing crappy software that was installed in thirty seconds after he accidentally clicked a button on a website

Here are two clips from websites that instruct users how to get rid of this stuff:

"HotBar does track web site visits and also has an autoupdate feature that updates automatically. So there are both privacy and security concerns with this add-on program."

"According to their website, Weatherbug is not spyware, however it is adware."

This one is hilarious, from Symantec's antivirus website:

"Your Symantec antivirus program detects this threat as Adware.DealHelper... there are several known programs that have Adware.DealHelper within them and that install it as the program itself is installed."

And this is lovely: it underscores the vulnerability of the Windows OS design:

"WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions."

Ah yes, there's nothing quite like spending most of your time backing up your registry!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

"WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions."

Which is why the utility I wrote about above was so funny:

Quote:

Especially that one we had a while back?RegEdit, I think??that allowed you to use wildcards in registry keys when replacing or deleting.

Whee!

Given Symantec's warning, imagine a tool that allowed you to delete every registry key containing "AD". With no undo.

Ah, nonstop entertainment.