Considering Mac, Not Sure Where To Begin

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a PC at work and home, also have a Compaq laptop for around the house and travel. Here's what I use all of them for:

As far as MS Office products go, I use Word & Excel tremendously. I do not use Powerpoint at all.

Email

Palm Software via Treo 650 PDA phone

Nikon Coolpix 5200 Camera

iRiver MP3

Epson Scanner

Mapping Software (Delorme Street Atlas)

Wireless router system at home give my laptop wireless internet freedom.

Laptop and PC transfers.

I'm an RE appraiser and use Apex sketching software.

Other:

I'm interested in the near future having a digital video camera.

I'm NOT interested at playing games.

How difficult is it to utilize the above? How much is the Microsoft Software? How much is this gonna cost? I want to buy the iMac first, make sure it works seemlessly with travel and at home with the wireless setup before I buy a desktop Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    go buy a mac mini @ $499 it isn't too big a leap

Then get virtual PC it is windows that run on the mac

Then enjoy the Macness of it all and leave windows behind.

Some programs for mac

Missing synch for Palm

Office for Mac

use iphoto for all of your RE photos

Remember no spyware adware and viri

It just works.

Welcome

now go and switch!

• Reply 2 of 22
    I wouldn't expect VPC to provide a satisfactory Windows experience. I've tried it multiple times in the past, and sluggish is the word that comes to mind. It is OK for occasional use of a Windows-only application that you must use, but that's it.

DeLorme dropped out of the Mac world years ago, so you'll need to do some research for a satisfactory mapping substitute, assuming MapQuest.com doesn't meet your needs.

The Mac mini is a good way to stick your toes in the water and give the Mac OS a feel. It's the operating system, tightly integrated with the hardware, that creates the user experience that's so popular.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    n0den0de Posts: 6member
    Do not waste your money on VPC with the mini. I have it on my 1Ghz powerbook (1.25GB Ram) and it drags... The slight bump in processor speed on the mini will not be enough for it to be usable on a daily basis....

Most of the applications you mentioned are available for the Mac, and the rest have equivalents - except for the Delorme Mapping software. I have yet to find a good GPS/Mapping tool for the Mac.

I think the Mini is perfect for the type of use you plan on, and it is a good entry price too. Remember, if you don't like it or decide to upgrade, Mac's hold extremely good value on ebay over time...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The most important programs are Word & Excel. Will pagination or anything else get screwed up if I save a Word or Excel file on the Mac and then transfer it to my work PC?

The mini is $499, but that's no monitor. How much is a Mac laptop for what I need? I would really like to try "Mac" out on the laptop and then if it works out, get the home office a Mac desktop. Also, how much is the Microsoft software I need? Will I have to purchase this software twice - once for the Mac laptop and second for the desktop?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by n0de

Most of the applications you mentioned are available for the Mac, and the rest have equivalents - except for the Delorme Mapping software. I have yet to find a good GPS/Mapping tool for the Mac.

Don't care for the gps part, just want something more than mapquest that I can print out. I use it for property locations and need to 'mark' specific properties with tags, etc. Nothing to fancy, there's has to be something out there for the Mac isn't there?

Quote:

Originally posted by n0de

Remember, if you don't like it or decide to upgrade, Mac's hold extremely good value on ebay over time...

What would be recommended for my use if I were to search for a used laptop on Ebay? i.e. model #, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    i use both XP and OS X. i have Office 2004 on my mac and Microsoft Office on my PC; you will need 2 versions - one for your mac and one for your PC. Any files in powerpoint, excel, and word can transfer b/w my 2 computers easily...no problem. it doesn't matter if the file was made on my mac and transfered to my PC or vice versa.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Mapping Software for Mac OS X = Route 66

http://rs108.66.com/route66/products...c=0&prodid=716

As far as an inexpensive laptop, I check the Apple on-line store often and do searches using the keyword "refurb". Have found some great deals and they have fully Apple warranty. I just looked and the only laptop they show right now is:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified = $1,299

As for the Microsoft software, you can download a free 30-day trial. Also, if anyone in your household is a student, you can by the student version (it's the exact same as the other version, except you're not entitled to discounted upgrades). The student version is substantially less than "the other version".

You'll have no trouble with your wireless network. My airport basestation died and I replaced it with a Belkin. Besides, with the network left in Auto mode, I can take my laptop anywhere there is a public hotspot and can seemlessly get on-line.

I've got Virtual PC and do use it for some Access development work and flight planning software. But I don't use it a whole lot...it's just handy to know you've got it on your laptop (well, for me anyway). If you keep your PC around, even after going Mac, you can download Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac and be able to remotely run programs directly from your Mac while your home.

As been said elsewhere, the Office files are binary compatible between the PC and Mac. Office 2004 Mac even includes a compatiblity checker to check that your file will be compatible on the PC. The most common issue seems to be in Powerpoint, particularly dealing with graphics. If you keep your graphics files to JPG or GIF, then you're OK. The Mac is must more robust in handling various graphics files into programs via drag-n-drop, but some of these don't translate to the PC. I guess that's why the decided to include a compatiblity checker.

Personally, I have sent hundreds and hundreds of Word files to people all around the world and never had any problem with them reading them as intended. With OS X, I'm now getting to a point that when I send files out, I send them as PDF files instead....that way I KNOW the formatting will be as intended and the recipient can't change them on me. When they need to do editing, I send the Word file, otherwise I'm mostly sending PDF's now.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Advance The Man

I would really like to try "Mac" out on the laptop and then if it works out, get the home office a Mac desktop.

I would highly recommend the G4 iBook 12" for $999. Make sure no matter which computer you get to upgrade the RAM to 512MB and you'll be all set!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Any particular reason why you're considering a Mac?

Are you having problems with Intel machines?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Any particular reason why you're considering a Mac?

Are you having problems with Intel machines?

It's the little things that add up to be so frusterating. My Compaq laptop has been a POS since the day I bought it. You can fry an egg on the battery compartment b/c it gets so hot. I can no longer keep the rear plug in it b/c it pops out. Even when the battery was at it's best it only last 2 hours. I've heard the Mac lasts double that. The screen constantly flickers, etc. etc. There is serious quality control issues with the actual laptop.

Regarding my home Dell Desktop, really not many problems with the hardware. The photo management for my wife is very confusing. I've heard Mac has a very intuitive photo mgt system. I'm also considering a digital video recorder soon and have heard the Mac's software is top notch.

I simply want something easy. I don't know much about cpts and I'm sick of having to walk myself and my wife through the motions with Windows based software and the occassional crash.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Macintosh....

...it just works!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

As far as an inexpensive laptop, I check the Apple on-line store often and do searches using the keyword "refurb". Have found some great deals and they have fully Apple warranty. I just looked and the only laptop they show right now is:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified = $1,299

Do I really need the PowerBook? Would the 12" ipaq do? I've seen several references that 512mb memory is a necessity, is it? I'm really not doing any rocket science, mostly word processing. I wouldn't do my photo and video organization on the laptop, I would wait to do that on the desktop unit.

Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

You'll have no trouble with your wireless network. My airport basestation died and I replaced it with a Belkin. Besides, with the network left in Auto mode, I can take my laptop anywhere there is a public hotspot and can seemlessly get on-line.

Will the Mac's 'Airport' pick up my wireless network? Is it something that 'sticks' out or is it enclosed inside the unit?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Do I really need the G4? Would the 12" ipaq do? I've seen several references that 512mb memory is a necessity, is it? I'm really not doing any rocket science, mostly word processing. I wouldn't do my photo and video organization on the laptop, I would wait to do that on the desktop unit.

Will the Mac's 'Airport' pick up my wireless network? Is it something that 'sticks' out or is it enclosed inside the unit?

iPaq isn't an Apple- I think they're made by compaq and they're PDA's not laptops.

I think you're talking about the iBook- which in that case it still has a G4 processor in it (just like the powerbook). The one big advantage the powerbook G4 has over the iBook is the graphics card. The powerbook's has 64MB rather than the iBook's 32MB.

Mac OS X Tiger is going to preform better with the 64MB graphics card, but I'm not saying that the 32MB one is going to suck, just that the 64MB one will be better- it all depends how much money you want to spend.

"Airport" is just apple's way of saying "802.11 b&g". It's industry standard wireless and it's built in- no external antennas or anything.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    iThanks. Got 'ipaq' on my mind! I did mean iBook. Sounds like the 12" ibook should work fine for me. I'll justify a stronger system for my desktop.

What do others use the Bluetooth in their laptops? I have a Treo 650, so I suppose I could hotsync my Palm data to the iBook wirelessly, but other than that I don't know how useful it would be. I should already be able to utilize my home printer through my wireless hub and desktop pc. I'm thinking it may be a waste of money if not used.

Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

iPaq isn't an Apple- I think they're made by compaq and they're PDA's not laptops.

I think you're talking about the iBook- which in that case it still has a G4 processor in it (just like the powerbook). The one big advantage the powerbook G4 has over the iBook is the graphics card. The powerbook's has 64MB rather than the iBook's 32MB.

Mac OS X Tiger is going to preform better with the 64MB graphics card, but I'm not saying that the 32MB one is going to suck, just that the 64MB one will be better- it all depends how much money you want to spend.

"Airport" is just apple's way of saying "802.11 b&g". It's industry standard wireless and it's built in- no external antennas or anything.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

iThanks. Got 'ipaq' on my mind! I did mean iBook. Sounds like the 12" ibook should work fine for me. I'll justify a stronger system for my desktop.

What do others use the Bluetooth in their laptops? I have a Treo 650, so I suppose I could hotsync my Palm data to the iBook wirelessly, but other than that I don't know how useful it would be. I should already be able to utilize my home printer through my wireless hub and desktop pc. I'm thinking it may be a waste of money if not used.

Bluetooth really sines with this app

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

It allows you to completely control your mac from you mobile or palm device with built in bluetooth.

Its great for presentations and parties. You can completely do everything through the palm device wirelessly and not have to mess around with the mac. It's sweet. Trust me.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I called Apple and spoke with a sales associate. I think he convinced me on the PowerBook 12" w/Superdrive. With the Education discount, I can get it for $1500 + plus the additional warranty plan for $239 and Office 2004 for $149. This totals $1888±. When does Office 2005 come out?

The things that he pointed out were mainly the mouse - much more intuitive than the iBook's, the video memory is double as is the ram (512), the PowerBook comes std with iLife 2005 as opposed to 2004, it is lighter, I think it is pre-installed with Bluetooth while iBook it costs additional and the PowerBook has 1.5 Ghz vs iBook's 1.2. Add all of this up and I should be good to go for 2.5 to 3 years.

I'm willing to get the extended warranty b/c of the existing POS laptop I have. Do I need it? I know this is a guess, but what has been typical for other PowerBook owners? Have theirs broke after the warranty period ends?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Very cool! Last question, and this thread should be complete. What other essential software or essential accessories should I consider purchasing with this order?

Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Bluetooth really sines with this app

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

It allows you to completely control your mac from you mobile or palm device with built in bluetooth.

Its great for presentations and parties. You can completely do everything through the palm device wirelessly and not have to mess around with the mac. It's sweet. Trust me.

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

I called Apple and spoke with a sales associate. I think he convinced me on the PowerBook 12" w/Superdrive. With the Education discount, I can get it for $1500 + plus the additional warranty plan for $239 and Office 2004 for $149. This totals $1888±. When does Office 2005 come out?

The things that he pointed out were mainly the mouse - much more intuitive than the iBook's, the video memory is double as is the ram (512), the PowerBook comes std with iLife 2005 as opposed to 2004, it is lighter, I think it is pre-installed with Bluetooth while iBook it costs additional and the PowerBook has 1.5 Ghz vs iBook's 1.2. Add all of this up and I should be good to go for 2.5 to 3 years.

I'm willing to get the extended warranty b/c of the existing POS laptop I have. Do I need it? I know this is a guess, but what has been typical for other PowerBook owners? Have theirs broke after the warranty period ends?

Yeah- good choice with the 12" powerbook- I have one and absolutely love it. I forgot about the new track-pad thing- also the new hard-drives are 5400RPM and have the shock protection, bluetooth is standard, and stuff.

You can always add applecare later (before the 1 year is up, but you still only get 90 days phone support, where as with applecare its a full 3 years).

Great!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Very cool! Last question, and this thread should be complete. What other essential software or essential accessories should I consider purchasing with this order?

if you already have a nice bag, I would consider a sleeve. Like this one:

http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=97

It keeps the powerbook nice and clean for when you want to sell it down the road to upgrade. lol.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Then get virtual PC it is windows that run on the mac

I realized I have to run some programs that are specific to Windows. They don't have Mac software. Does Virtual PC allow me to run other Windows only software? If so, how do you load this software on the Mac and utilize it through Virtual PC?