Considering Mac, Not Sure Where To Begin

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    I can answer the VPC question. If you already have a Microsoft License and have the original Windows install CD, then you can just by the "Virtual PC with Mac Version 7"

From Microsoft's web site: "Have your own licensed copy of Microsoft Windows? This version of Virtual PC has your name all over it. Use it to run your version of Windows on your Mac."

What you'll get is a copy of Virtual PC that you install in the Mac. Then run the program and it will create an empty "drive image" for you to install Windows into (I'm assuming you have either Windows 2000 or XP). Next, insert the CD and install Windows like you would on any other machine. When the install is complete and the machine boots the last time, once loaded, you install the VPC Additions. That's what makes it seamless between environments. One more Windows reboot and you're good to go to install your programs.

You can run Windows in a window or press CMD-Enter and go full screen. It's really a slick program and an excellent way to keep using those verticle-market applications that only run on Windows.

Once word of advice. You can set the amount of physical memory VPC uses. If you have 512MB in your Powerbook, start by allocating Windows 256MB to see how it works. VPC is still a Mac-specifc program and needs some elbow room to run so that your whole system doesn't bogg down. From my experience, running Windows in VPC with 256 is adequet for most tasks. Typically, once you're running the Mac, you aren't going to be running too many Windows applications at the same time.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    I'd recommend a Brenthaven Pro case designed for your 12" PowerBook. I really looked around when shopping for a case and thats what I settled on I'd recommend the iLap from Rain Design as well (you can get them from Amazon too). Keeps your lap cool and works on your desk too. Could never go back to just setting the thing on my lap now!