Errors in movies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm doing a little project where I'm collecting short clips of errors in films. I'm using this list to try to get good ones.

I'm focusing on visual continuity errors, like when a window is smashed in one scene, and then it's back together in the next scene. But I've acquired some funny ones that aren't really continuity errors, like the storm trooper in Star Wars who bangs his head hard on the overhang when he walks into the room.

Anyone seen any of these, or any other good ones not listed? Know of any other good sources for lists of errors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i haven't seen it, but apparently plan 9 from outer space is just a movie of errors. not intentional either.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    There are, incidentally, a bunch in The Lord of the Ring trilogy.

The cars driving around in the background of "The Shire" we digitally removed for the DVD, so no luck there. But I'm pretty sure that the scene in the last one with the guy flopping around his spear, which is made of rubber, did make it to DVD.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    There are tons in the LoTR movies, especially after when comparing the extended editions to the theatrical releases.

My favorite is in Star Wars: A New Hope While sitting around the breakfast table talking about droids, the academy, and farming, luke pours himself a glass of bluish white milkdrink. He's holding it in his left hand, arguing with uncle owen. He makes his point, and the camera cuts to owen, when it returns to luke, he's holding it in his right hand.

ooooooo
  • Reply 4 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There are, incidentally, a bunch in The Lord of the Ring trilogy.

Oh would you get off the Lord of the Rings, for chrissakes.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Here's a whole site devoted to them:

http://www.nitpickers.com/
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Oh would you get off the Lord of the Rings, for chrissakes.

That first thread came from sitting through the DVDs my friend bought. So it's all still fresh in the memory, as good or bad as that may be.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

My favorite is in Star Wars: A New Hope While sitting around the breakfast table talking about droids, the academy, and farming, luke pours himself a glass of bluish white milkdrink. He's holding it in his left hand, arguing with uncle owen. He makes his point, and the camera cuts to owen, when it returns to luke, he's holding it in his right hand.

ooooooo

I just grabbed it after your suggestion. It actually even switches back and forth a couple times.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

I just grabbed it after your suggestion. It actually even switches back and forth a couple times.

i guess thats kinda cool, but stuff like that happens in almsot every movie. there are way cooler mistakes.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i haven't seen it, but apparently plan 9 from outer space is just a movie of errors. not intentional either.

Coincidentally, I just got it. I ordered it and couldn't remember why. Then I read an IMDB review and remembered:

Quote:

Poor poor Plan 9: So bad people just watch it to laugh about how bad it is, yet this fundamental flaw pushes it above bad movies, and so it's stuck in between the bottom 100, and well, no where near the top 250...

Anyway, back to the movie. It is as bad as you've no doubt heard. The scene changes from night to day to night, the spaceship is a hubcap (you can see the string it hangs from catch on fire at one point), I could do a better job acting, etc. ad nauseum. But it takes a hell of a lot to be almost universally considered the worst movie of all time, and here is Plan 9's true strength. There are many horrible of movies, but most of them are so bad because they are too bad to be truly bad, and therefore sink into mediocrity. Plan 9, however, has no redeeming quality's, and so it stands out. Few will recognise a movie such as "The Medallion," but every movie-goer knows Plan 9.

As I said before, it takes a hell of a lot to be the worst. Because of this, Plan 9 is some of the most fun you'll EVER have watching a movie. Almost every scene is so bad I broke out laughing. Few other movies achieve that kind of humor, whether intentional or not. For that I give it a very intentional

• Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

there are way cooler mistakes.

Let's hear 'em!
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:

Let's hear 'em!

jsut browse moviemistakes.com, as you mentioned in your first post. i mean i dont see a point in making a list here if there's already a massive list on the other site.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    What about Stepford Wives? At some points in the movie they are just normal women with microchips implanted in their brains while at other times they are straight-up robots.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I saw a sci-fi movie a long time ago (wasn't that great) about a mine deep underwater or something. Anyways, someone went mad and drilled a hole in the wall, letting water under enormous pressure kill everyone. A security door closed and before it could close all the way, a jet of pressurized water bored a hole through a passer-by. The "detective" on the case said it was a case of "explosive decompression".

This sent my whole family into a hysterical laughing frenzy. And to think nobody working on that movie knew any better...
  • Reply 14 of 45
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I just saw the new version of Vanity Fair and I could swear that it had several very large mistakes . . . I mean major plot sized mistakes: for instance, perhaps I just wasn't watching closely, but twice there are characters introduced as if they have so far had a large sub-plot role but they actually had not even been in the film yet at all . . .

I think that its pretty clear that teh filmaker had intended to try and stick to the Thakery and have all of these other characters but when it came time toi make the movie the time constraints just demanded absurd hacking and slashing....
  • Reply 15 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hellboy had a large one that I'm not even sure how they did it. For the entire movie his right hand is a stone hand. Then for one short clip it's his left. I'm guessing they did some digital effect and flipped the scene. There's no way they shot the scene that way.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Hellboy had a large one that I'm not even sure how they did it. For the entire movie his right hand is a stone hand. Then for one short clip it's his left. I'm guessing they did some digital effect and flipped the scene. There's no way they shot the scene that way.

Flipping frames is a common mistake -- especially when the film is shot in, well, film...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

Let's hear 'em!

despite my previous post, i'll add one to the list. in Dare Devil, why the hell would his mask cover his ears if his ears are his only means of navigation and his 'superpower?' not a great movie anyways...
  • Reply 18 of 45
    rara Posts: 623member
    In The Omega Man you can see a car driving in the background during the day time (he's supposed to be the only man left on the earth).
  • Reply 19 of 45
    In Red Dawn, as the students are overlooking the highway into the town there is normal traffic moving along as if, you know, nothing was happening -- especially not a massive Soviet assault on US soil...
  • Reply 20 of 45
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    In Spiderman 2 Doc Ock wants Peter (who he thinks is just a student) to contact Spidey for him.

So he whips A CAR through a diner window at Pete and Mary Jane to say hello!

Still love the movie, though.

J