Errors in movies

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

The painted lines underneath the aircraft seem are never parallel, and are not the same in the two frames.

Have another look. (Hint: Now you see them; now you don't.)

BRussell is this related to that thing where the brain fills in gaps in our vision. ie. Things we can't really see but the brain makes certain assumptions based on what can be seen and fools us into believing we're seeing when we're not. Oh hell, I'm not explaining this very well. "Persistence of vision" is that the term? I think from memory it's how some optical illusions work.

If you've got no idea what I'm talking about I'll look it up later.

Edit: To be clearer Mr Sprout, I'm referencing your change blindness post not the picture.

• Reply 42 of 45
    In Napoleon Dinamite, when Pedro and Napoleon are doing sweet jumps with Pedro's Sledgehammer, if you look you'll see when Pedro does his jump there are three cynder blocks under the ramp, but when Napoleon tries to jump, there are only two.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Have another look. (Hint: Now you see them; now you don't.)

BRussell is this related to that thing where the brain fills in gaps in our vision. ie. Things we can't really see but the brain makes certain assumptions based on what can be seen and fools us into believing we're seeing when we're not. Oh hell, I'm not explaining this very well. "Persistence of vision" is that the term? I think from memory it's how some optical illusions work.

If you've got no idea what I'm talking about I'll look it up later.

Edit: To be clearer Mr Sprout, I'm referencing your change blindness post not the picture.

Yeah, it's top-down processing. The best example of fill-in-the-blank is the two large blindspots that everyone has in their visual field due to the optic nerve blocking out part of the retina in each eye. We don't even notice the two holes that are there.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Look about 1 cm to the southwest of the middle point.

That's funny. I totally missed it. I even subtracted frames in GraphicsConterter but it must have a bug because it only seems to show the first frame.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm looking for obvious examples of what are called visual continuity errors - like one in Spiderman where there's a broken window in one scene and then a few seconds later the window is intact.

I'm looking for these for a little project I'm doing on what's called change blindness - when there is a visual change that we don't notice unless we're shown it specifically. The phenomenon is associated with the idea that people engage in top-down processing, rather than detail-oriented processing.

There are a bunch of good examples in the Demos section of this page.

Here's an example I'll put inline. How long does it take you to figure out what's changing?

I don't know if there is any way for you to access it from where you are, but out here in the Bay Area we have a thing called the Exploratorium that features sort of art and science and tech and coolness exhibits....

Anyway, they have a great example of what you are talking about-- it's a projected video of a street scene that blinks to black for 1/10 second every three seconds, which each refreshed image having some alteration. There is a button you can push to toggle between the last image and the one you are looking at, and it is quite amazing. You stand there staring at the blinking image, not seeing a single thing different, then push the button and say "how the fuck did I not see that the van turned into a car, or the awning disappeared, or the tree moved, etc?"