Mac Mini-help

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok here I am with a pc kind of pissed at windows, grown out of the simpliciety of it and want a challenge. No linux because it limits you.

this is what i do on my computer-

photoshop, illustrator, FTP shiz, dreamweaver, AIM, firefox, itunes, ocasionally word doc. for school

i like the looks and everything of the mac mini i understand its limiting but i dont really need much expansion. a near absolute must is that this bitch can connect with the Airport Extreme to my linksys router. If it cant forget this pretty much. I can afford:

mac mini

80gb

super drive

stock ram (upgrade later)

airport extreme card

apple corded keyboard (i like it)-connect mouse/digi cam/ipod to...

I HAVE: mouse MX500, speakers (work good enough), monitor (17'inch CRT flat=perfect) all for PC

I want to be able to do all the same shit as on my pc with it. I use macs at school and love em. would the wirelessness work, should i do it...i read all the posts on the mini and it was very repetitive. comments/bs/rants/humor/sarcasm welcome

oh and if anyone has any actual experience talk to me on AIM-requiembmxli

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Sounds like it should work out okay... just make sure to add additional memory immediately - you will not like running OS X + browser/IM/FTP + Dreamweaver + Adobe apps on 256MB.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    i dont really run more than aim plus one program at a time
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, in either case, you'll still want > 256 as soon as possible. Those apps can use up quite a bit of ram.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Skip the superdrive and get the memory upgrade. In fact, I'd get the 1gb upgrade knowing you want to run Photoshop.

I don't know hoodlum talk, so you may need to get my advice translated.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

a near absolute must is that this bitch can connect with the Airport Extreme to my linksys router.

Yes, you'll be able to connect to your linksys router.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    thanks for the comments what would be a good usb hub of about 4 ports. if i get one my digital camera, printer and possibly more will be attached to it. thanks again
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Get more RAM. 512 is only $70 and it will be tons better.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Yeah get the 512 stick for $70. 512 would do a good job, but 256 would be rather yucky on Photoshop.

Why not use a current USB keyboard, so you can get the 512 memory now, but get the keyboard later?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsimmons

Skip the superdrive and get the memory upgrade. In fact, I'd get the 1gb upgrade knowing you want to run Photoshop.

You definitely need more RAM, but don't leave off the Superdrive as a sacrifice. Trust me, I did this with my iBook and I regret it! Anyway, RAM you can upgrade yourself later... the Superdrive not so much.

As for USB hubs, any one will do. Mouse, keyboard, and digital cam don't need a powered hub.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    i dont have a current USB keyboard though i have an adapter. I want a new keyboard and can afford the $29. I will probably get this setup:

Mac Mini 1.42

512 RAM

80GB

Combo Drive

4 Port USB Hub

Airport Extreme

Apple Keyboard-wired

Current Mouse-Logi MX500

Current Monitor-Emachine 17' Flat CRT

I already have a computer with dvd/cd writable so i dont need it, the combo drive still plays DVD's/Cds correct?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

I already have a computer with dvd/cd writable so i dont need it, the combo drive still plays DVD's/Cds correct?

Yes, but if you want to burn DVDs you'll need the Superdrive. Also, you'll get iLife '05 without iDVD (since you don't have a DVD burner). So if you do decide to upgrade in the future, you'll have to pay for a.) the Superdrive, b.) the installation, c.) iLife '05 with iDVD.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    You stil get all of iLife O5.You just can't burn your DVD's right there.All you can do is archive them.In my opinion,when you have a combo drive and iDVD,you're basicly running it in demo.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    blestblest Posts: 24member
    Actualy whats so wrong with taking the archived dvd and burning it on his other burner? Some +r burners support bitsetting so the booktype is read as dvd-rom. makes for really good compatability.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    It doesn't look that hard to install the memory yourself anyway so try it. There is a link somewhere on this site (sorry I can't remember where it was but search for mini mac and you'll find it.) that give instructions and a photo on how to do it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

You definitely need more RAM, but don't leave off the Superdrive as a sacrifice. Trust me, I did this with my iBook and I regret it! Anyway, RAM you can upgrade yourself later... the Superdrive not so much.

As for USB hubs, any one will do. Mouse, keyboard, and digital cam don't need a powered hub.

some things will struggle without powered hub (iPod, printer, etc.)

Go with Belkin they make good reliable priducts.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Just make sure the hub it Multi-translator type hub.

Otherwise, you can't run USB2 divices at USB2 speed when there is a USB1 device(s) plugged into the hub.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    give me a link to a good one guys, please
  • Reply 18 of 28
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

give me a link to a good one guys, please

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=200897
  • Reply 19 of 28
    you'll void your warranty if you install RAM yourself, just remember that.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    ^^thank you i was thinking a belkin, and

^yea