2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I have read reviews that state that some of the inexpensive 3 CCD camcorders don't really perform that well simply because in a camera in this price range, the CCDs tend to be too small to really do an effective job. (I actually read a review that stated this regarding a Panasonic model.)

In this case, they ststed that you would be better off with a single larger CCD.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

I have read reviews that state that some of the inexpensive 3 CCD camcorders don't really perform that well simply because in a camera in this price range, the CCDs tend to be too small to really do an effective job. (I actually read a review that stated this regarding a Panasonic model.)

In this case, they ststed that you would be better off with a single larger CCD.

which goes back to my first point of sub $1000 cameras being essentially the same.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Depends on where the camera doesn't performa well in. Larger CCDs help in low light situations because of their larger physical surfaces. However MiniDV just doesn't look good unless you have adequate lighting. 3CCDs are always superior to one CCD when it comes to color reproduction. Low light(Lux) ratings have been overhyped like the infamous Zoom wars. No light = less color recorded period.

Review of $600 3CCD camera

While it is often assumed, by manufacturers as well as consumers, that bigger CCDs, bigger pixels counts, and more effective pixels mean better video, reality has shown that these rules don?t always follow suit. For this reason, we?ve started to run stills for video capture through Imatest imaging software in order to provide as much evidence as possible for an objective analysis.

In low light levels, the PV-GS65 performed well for its price, and certainly put all three of its CCDs to use, working hard to eliminate noise and retain color information. Fortunately, any 3 CCD camcorder is going to have more color information than a one-chip camcorder. Compared to last year?s PV-GS120 which features the same imager as the PV-GS65, the PV-GS65 shows similar results at 60 lux, a light level slightly below average indoor lighting levels, though with a marked increase of noise.{b] Not only does the noise increase in the PV-GS65?s 60 lux image, but color washing trends continue from 3000 lux, though only slightly. The PV-GS65 still maintains lots of color information and the crispness between colors is still present, but the noise increase does muddle the results a bit.[/b] I've added emphasis

Lighting is very important to this format. You can do low light shots but you're going to get an increase in noise in any camera.

Advance The Man-

Let your eyes decide. Most of these cameras will work with iMovie or Final Cut or whatever you have fine. At $1k you're going to get plenty of manual controls to grow into. Look for quality and try to test each camera outdoors so you can see what it can do under the ideal circumstances. What you commit to tape can only be modified so much.