Briefly: iPod shuffle in stock, Apple TMs, HP CEO resigns...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
iPod shuffle in stock at Circuit City

As we hinted earlier this week, Circuit City has received a fresh shipment of Apple's 1GB iPod shuffle players. According to the retailer's Web site, the players are available for immediate purchase and delivery. Apple's own online store is quoting wait times of up to 2-3 weeks for the iPod shuffle, and Circuit City's supply is not expected to last long.

Earlier this week, AppleInsider reported that Circuit City will be carrying both iPod shuffle models at its 632 retail outlets, nationwide.

Apple applies for new trademarks

In recent weeks Apple has applied for a couple of new trademarks by the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

The company applied for a trademark on the word "VoiceOver," its forthcoming spoken English interface for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger." Additionally, Apple requested a trademark on the word "Bonjour," which it describes as computer hardware or software.

HP CEO resigns

In a surprise move Wednesday morning, Hewlett-Packard announced that Carley Fiorina has stepped down as chairman and chief executive officer, citing strategic differences with the company's board of directors.

"While I regret the board and I have differences about how to execute HP's strategy, I respect their decision," said Fiorina. "HP is a great company and I wish all the people of HP much success in the future"

The board said it will immediately seek a replacement. In the meantime, Robert P. Wayman, HP's CFO, has been named chief executive officer on an interim basis and appointed to the board of directors.

MSN Messenger to gain Webcam support?

According to tipsters, Microsoft is considering adding Webcam support to MSN Messenger 5 for the Macintosh. The company has reportedly received a large number of requests for the feature and is 'looking into' its possibilities.

Macworld at Pixar

As an aside, sources recently told AppleInsider that a satellite feed of Steve Jobs' Macworld San Francisco keynote was broadcast live at Pixar, the Emeryville, Calif.-based animation studio overseen by Jobs.

Apple did not offer a live feed of the presentation through the Internet or its retail stores, which it had in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Hay, Ho, the witch is dead,

The wicked witch is dead...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    As someone that works for a company close to HP, and not for much longer at that, HP has been sliding down ever since Carly became top boss. She will not be missed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    That's the end of HP's flirtation with iPods then....

She committed the mortal sin; she let go of the Brand.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

That's the end of HP's flirtation with iPods then....

She committed the mortal sin; she let go of the Brand.

Does that mean iTunes wont be installed on all those new HP machines???
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Too late. HP need the iPod or they are hopelessly behind.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I doubt HP will drop iTunes unless a better deal comes along. Not soon I don't imagine.

The HP iPod will continue as long as it's a money-maker for them, worth the distribution, advertising, etc.

I suspect that it's worth it to them, especially the way they tie it in with their printers, but who knows?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Maybe they will began to rebuild their sci calculator line again after crapping on the 48 GX.

The 49 G+ SUCKS!

Eric