Apple stores alter iPod mini availability, refresh imminent

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Corroborating recent reports which hint at an iPod mini refresh as early as next week, several tipsters note that on Wednesday international versions of Apple's online store abruptly extended their estimated ship times for all iPod mini models. The company's online stores in the United Kingdom and France now reflect wait times of 8 days for all iPod mini models. The stores had previously conformed to Apple's US-based online store availability estimates, which imply the players will ship the same business day. Similarly, in the days prior to Apple's latest PowerBook G4 updates, the Apple online store suddenly extended estimated ship times for all PowerBook models from the same business day to 8 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    When I checked at my local Apple store they were all out of ALL colors of the minis and didn't have an arrival date for new ones. All signs point to 5GB!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Are we going to see a completely new package or just a bump in storage?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Im guessing it will just be a storage bump.....the mini's are quite recognisable now (just like its big brother) and apple wouldnt want to change just yet..... I'd imagine an enclosure change after the 5G iPod comes out.

Some new updates to the software over the whole range would be nice.... but doubtful.

b.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    storage bump
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that the next iPod mini will have a 6 GB HDD.

Why? Because Creative is using it.

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050106/sfth083_1.html

Also, I think we'll see better battery life. 10-12 hours. These two things will kill any significant advantage the other players have.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I thought the Mini hadn't been updated to include the Notes feature or the Shuffle feature yet.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Count me as someone who doesn't think this is just a 4GB to 5GB bump. I don't see Apple disrupting distribution for such a minor enhancement. 4GB to 5GB would be a /B kinda thing.

What can we expect from the new mini?

I don't know.

I *highly* doubt it would be AAC+ or any major new iPod functionality/features.

Maybe new design, new colors, or more than a 1GB bump. Going so far out on the limb that I'm on a new tree...maybe a mini photo iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by macslut

Count me as someone who doesn't think this is just a 4GB to 5GB bump. I don't see Apple disrupting distribution for such a minor enhancement. 4GB to 5GB would be a /B kinda thing.

What can we expect from the new mini?

I don't know.

I *highly* doubt it would be AAC+ or any major new iPod functionality/features.

Maybe new design, new colors, or more than a 1GB bump. Going so far out on the limb that I'm on a new tree...maybe a mini photo iPod.

In my humble opinion, I don't think Apple would do a photo iPod mini, just doesn't seem an Apple thing to do. My money is on a 5 or 5gig drive, with new colours and a very slight design update.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'd be curious to see if the "shuffle" switch on the back of the iPod shuffle doesn't migrate to the mini.

Other than that, they might refresh the design without changing it radically. I really don't see photo functionality just because that could easily fill up 5GB in a hurry.

I don't see all that much for them to mess with, though. The mini's a nice little piece of kit.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

[B]Count me as someone who doesn't think this is just a 4GB to 5GB bump. I don't see Apple disrupting distribution for such a minor enhancement. 4GB to 5GB would be a /B kinda thing.

I would think so too, especially after a year now -- unless Apple is just so supremely arrogant/confident with its position relative to the competition that it simply decided to concentrate on other things (i.e. the next-gen players).

The voice-record feature, for example, is already built in but not exposed. That wouldn't exactly be difficult for them to implement at this point. It would be nice.

http://ipod.hackaday.com/entry/1234000147025394
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'd be curious to see if the "shuffle" switch on the back of the iPod shuffle doesn't migrate to the mini.

Other than that, they might refresh the design without changing it radically. I really don't see photo functionality just because that could easily fill up 5GB in a hurry.

I don't see all that much for them to mess with, though. The mini's a nice little piece of kit.

Oooh, I really like that idea. I have a Shuffle, and love the switch on the back. It could've been labeled better, but it works *great*.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Oooh, I really like that idea. I have a Shuffle, and love the switch on the back. It could've been labeled better, but it works *great*.

I love your name macslut.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    The online US store now shows Ipod Minis as shipping in 5-7 days.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Put no trust in store.apple.com shipment dates, which are an untrustworthy guide of projected product updates.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Several retail stores here in Australia have dropped the prices of iPod minis by 25% "while stocks last" over the last two weeks. Sounds like they are clearing out stock for a new model.

Curiously, some stores have reduced the price of other iPods (including the 20GB and 40GB models) as well, with up to $100 off what the online Apple shop charges. I'm not willing to speculate on what that means, though.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by glassblowerscat

Put no trust in store.apple.com shipment dates, which are an untrustworthy guide of projected product updates.

Well, this morning all versions of the Ipod Mini were available for shipping in 24 hours (except the silver one which was 1-2 business days). Now all are a week out. There might be other explanations for this, of course, but the article that started this thread does place significance in the online store ship dates.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marlor

Several retail stores here in Australia have dropped the prices of iPod minis by 25% "while stocks last" over the last two weeks. Sounds like they are clearing out stock for a new model.

Curiously, some stores have reduced the price of other iPods (including the 20GB and 40GB models) as well, with up to $100 off what the online Apple shop charges. I'm not willing to speculate on what that means, though.

If you're referring to Myer's sales then the minis were marked for clearance but stock is high on all the other models and they aren't at this stage discontinued it is just a sale. Helps knowing a manager there

I wonder if perhaps a price drop is coming or Apple is just really aiming to keep sales up after the holiday period, which were apparently not too bad anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that the next iPod mini will have a 6 GB HDD.

Why? Because Creative is using it.

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050106/sfth083_1.html

Also, I think we'll see better battery life. 10-12 hours. These two things will kill any significant advantage the other players have.

Dont think so. Apple needs 1000x the amount of drives that Creative does.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

I thought the Mini hadn't been updated to include the Notes feature or the Shuffle feature yet.

Mine has both, it's running the 1.2 firmware.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    It appears Think Secret thinks that the next iPod mini will have a color screen. Interesting.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502ipodmini.html